Caribbean love.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BLUETYPEII

Re: Caribbean love.

Post by BLUETYPEII »

BigKenbo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:10 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 am
I did not buy a Caribbean for one major reason: the lock. If it were a backlock like the other Salt models I would be sorely tempted. As it is, I really get turned off my detent dependent locks.

I am with ladybug93. With my large hands, I prefer no hook on the pommel. I like the way the Military is done in that regard.
I am with you on the lock. I think the comp. lock is an ingenious design and has it´s place, but I personally prefer a backlock.

Concerning the "hook": I am just courious: I get, that you don´t like it, if it interferes with your large hands (so does not give you enough room / cramps your hand). But would you STILL not like it, if there was enough space for your hand between front guard and hook?!
I would be okay with it if there were enough room. It is not as smooth a design with it, but I could live with it. The Military has it right. It keeps your hand from slipping backwards, but it is rounded off enough that a little finger can ride on top if need be. Of course, the Military handle is spacious enough, anyway.
Maybe all of us big hand brigade guys should request a bumble bee military in LC200N?
I think I read something on the forum that they’re going to come out with an XL Caribbean, Maybe you large handed gentleman should wait for that.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 pm
BigKenbo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I am with you on the lock. I think the comp. lock is an ingenious design and has it´s place, but I personally prefer a backlock.

Concerning the "hook": I am just courious: I get, that you don´t like it, if it interferes with your large hands (so does not give you enough room / cramps your hand). But would you STILL not like it, if there was enough space for your hand between front guard and hook?!
I would be okay with it if there were enough room. It is not as smooth a design with it, but I could live with it. The Military has it right. It keeps your hand from slipping backwards, but it is rounded off enough that a little finger can ride on top if need be. Of course, the Military handle is spacious enough, anyway.
Maybe all of us big hand brigade guys should request a bumble bee military in LC200N?
I think I read something on the forum that they’re going to come out with an XL Caribbean, Maybe you large handed gentleman should wait for that.
I missed that. Thanks for sharing!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 am
My PE Caribbean leaf is my favorite Spyderco knife, period. It's the most comfortable in use, as well. It's my only LC200N knife so far, and it's become perhaps my favorite steel for its various qualities. I like it way better than H1.

I will admit, it looks odd and isn't the prettiest knife in the looks department. But for me, it's deceptively comfortable and ergonomic. The photos really don't do it justice, IMO. It's also the smoothest-operating folder I've ever owned.

Jim
i think beauty is very often in the functionality of a design. I STILL think the Ferrari Enzo is ugly as sin, but the looks sure never made it less bad+++! I appreciate your feedback. Smooth operation is a beautiful thing. Thanks!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I would need to search for it, but Sal did write that the XL Caribbean project is on hold. Total bummer too!
BLUETYPEII wrote:
BigKenbo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Wanted to add some comparison pictures to this thread. ..sorry about the light! Ran out of time getting pictures of the knives outside in the sunlight!

James
Attachments
2019-04-16 19.43.50.jpg
2019-04-16 19.43.38.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 am
I did not buy a Caribbean for one major reason: the lock. If it were a backlock like the other Salt models I would be sorely tempted. As it is, I really get turned off my detent dependent locks.

I am with ladybug93. With my large hands, I prefer no hook on the pommel. I like the way the Military is done in that regard.

Thanks for the reply!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

I wanted to try a serrated knife, the Caribbean is my first, funny thing is, it's my knife of choice for using, maybe not so much for looking at, so I'm not worried about scratching it, seems like it's always ready to cut stuff easily. Really it's like a good friend that you love to see, doesn't matter what it looks like.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Forest Green wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:54 pm
I wanted to try a serrated knife, the Caribbean is my first, funny thing is, it's my knife of choice for using, maybe not so much for looking at, so I'm not worried about scratching it, seems like it's always ready to cut stuff easily. Really it's like a good friend that you love to see, doesn't matter what it looks like.

That's how I feel about my orange work Delica wharnie. It just cuts anything, I don't care... but it still looks good though. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

deleted
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

deleted
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JaxBaron

Post by JaxBaron »

4062E45B-8C38-4338-8135-152E8D3AD6C8.jpeg
The Caribbean is one of my favorite knives!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JaxBaron wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 pm
4062E45B-8C38-4338-8135-152E8D3AD6C8.jpeg

The Caribbean is one of my favorite knives!
Beautiful photo befitting a glorious knife! It is truly my favorite knife. As a do-it-all knife, it has no equal.

Today mine was abused a little. I used it to cut the excess welds off of several vinyl windows(choked up pull cuts). Normally I would use a utility knife, but it was not on hand at that moment haha. This was edge abuse, it was subjected to some slight twisting motions.

The Caribbean performed flawlessly and actually works better than a utility knife at doing the flush face cuts, thanks to the curvature of the edge.

There was no edge damage of any kind. It is still just as sharp as before the task, LC200N continues to amaze me.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JaxBaron

Post by JaxBaron »

Awesome. LC200N has really surprised me. It is the perfect balance between rust resistant, toughness, edge retention. IMO.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:58 pm
I would need to search for it, but Sal did write that the XL Caribbean project is on hold. Total bummer too!
BLUETYPEII wrote:
BigKenbo wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Necro post I know, but did the xl Caribbean get shelved? I thought their was talk of using a longer blade in the existing handle at one point but I can't find the thread again.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems like I recall Sal saying it was, but I would be all for it especially if they managed to squeeze in more blade into the same size handle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Caribbean is still high on my to-buy-list . I just want to wait for Reveal 6 and if nothing catch my eyes, I will buy it.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45