Removing Patina from K390 (Urban)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OuchPaperCut

Removing Patina from K390 (Urban)

Post by OuchPaperCut »

So I made the "mistake" of adding patina to my K390 Urban using white vinegar soaked paper towel. I don't like the patina and now want to remove it. I tried Brasso but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. How can I remove the patina and restore the original finish to the blade?

Cheers,

M
The Meat man

Re: Removing Patina from K390 (Urban)

Post by The Meat man »

I've heard that Flitz works well. I have not used it myself.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

OuchPaperCut wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:38 pm
So I made the "mistake" of adding patina to my K390 Urban using white vinegar soaked paper towel. I don't like the patina and now want to remove it. I tried Brasso but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. How can I remove the patina and restore the original finish to the blade?

Cheers,

M
Bar Keepers Friend, get the powder version. Comes off with a light scrub and water.

The flitz isn't as effective. The flitz will add luster
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I hope you didn't read that in my thread about my V-Toku2 Dragonfly. That's EXACTLY how I created my patina...and I'm sorry if you saw my thread, and steered you wrong. Patina's can be a touchy thing.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I always just let patina come naturally. I feel like it's more "authentic" that way. Since it develops gradually, I often don't notice it until I actually pull out the blade and sit it next to a stainless one. Then it's like "oh, wait, I ended up with patina..."
OuchPaperCut

Post by OuchPaperCut »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:41 pm
I hope you didn't read that in my thread about my V-Toku2 Dragonfly. That's EXACTLY how I created my patina...and I'm sorry if you saw my thread, and steered you wrong. Patina's can be a touchy thing.
No you are off the hook - I read it on the internet. :)

Cheers,

M
OuchPaperCut

Post by OuchPaperCut »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 pm
OuchPaperCut wrote:

Cheers,

M
Bar Keepers Friend, get the powder version. Comes off with a light scrub and water.

Thanks for suggestion! I will try and locate some.

Cheers,

M
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

OuchPaperCut wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:04 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 pm
OuchPaperCut wrote:

Cheers,

M

Thanks for suggestion! I will try and locate some.

Cheers,

M
Its usually at the grocery store in the cleaning supplies aisle.

Avoid the paste, not as concentrated or effective, also they have a stainless cookware formula. It has more soap and less of the rust dissolving stuff. Just get the original
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I'll just throw something out there... how about do the vinegar treatment a few more times and lightly sand it with a green scouring pad between applications? It's sometimes easier to take the patina to a really dark grey than to remove a light coat. If you don't like it after that, it can still be removed. ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I don't know if it's different with V-toku2, but my patina has warn a bit and is practically gone at the tip from regular use on non food related materials. Is it possible it can just wear off a bit from use?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:43 pm
I don't know if it's different with V-toku2, but my patina has warn a bit and is practically gone at the tip from regular use on non food related materials. Is it possible it can just wear off a bit from use?
Over noticed this too.
Kinda sad because of how good it looks with a patina
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Interesting as barkeepers friends main ingredient is Oxalic acid would have thought this would add patina instead of remove it.

Exploring Bar Keepers friend a bit more. Fascinating...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Keepers_Friend

A neat article on how this works and actually should help with corrosion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passivation_(chemistry)
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Just as a side note oxalic acid is great for cleaning rust off of glass. I have used it for years for cleaning insulators. I think I bought some labeled as wood bleach. I would use caution when applying it but I can vouch for the efficacy of Bar Keepers friend in shining up stainless steel.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: