Need help making a decision

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Armen

Need help making a decision

Post by Armen »

Hello Everyone,

I currently own a Benchmade Bugout and a Para 3 in S110V. These 2 knives have filled my "lightweight" and "great EDC blade" needs.

I'm looking for a "nicer" knife to carry in my rotation. I've come to learn that if the "nicer" knife is expensive I tend not to carry it and eventually sell it because it sits in a drawer. I did this with a CR Small Sebenza and a Benchmade 940-1.

I'm looking to SpyderCo because every SpyderCo I've owned has been perfect from the factory for blade centering, action and grind. I was thinking of picking up a Manix 2 Flytanium Carbon Fiber as a "nice" knife ($167.00 on BladeHQ) and had some questions:
  • How does it carry in the pocket compared to a PM2? I remember the PM2 feeling big in the pocket to me when I had one.
  • How is the BBL compared to an axis lock? I've read it's a bit more stiffer to disengage.
  • What are thoughts on the Flytanium Carbon Fiber?
I'm looking for a USA made solution so the Sage 5, chaparral and the other carbon fiber SpyderCos are out of the question.

Thanks for the feedback!

P.S. does anyone know why no one seems to answer the phone when I call customer service? :|
vivi

Re: Need help making a decision

Post by vivi »

The Manix will be wider in the pocket than a Para 2 or 3.

If you can get past the knife being made in Taiwan, I feel the Ikuchi would be worth looking at. Very slim, very light, carbon fiber and nicely made.
:unicorn
Armen

Post by Armen »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:12 pm
The Manix will be wider in the pocket than a Para 2 or 3.

If you can get past the knife being made in Taiwan, I feel the Ikuchi would be worth looking at. Very slim, very light, carbon fiber and nicely made.
I know the Taichung factory puts out some great quality products but the stamp on the blade just bugs me. I used to own the PM2 but it looked a little aggressive so I sold it. I live in Los Angeles and the last thing I need is law enforcement giving me a hard time over a 3.4" blade that looks "murdery" as Nick Shabazz would put it. Are there any other Golden, Colorado models you can think of? The Lil' native is a bit too small.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Armen

Post by Armen »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:34 pm
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ted--33043
I had this knife and it was lovely
back lock :( but something to consider if I can't find anything else.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I carry both the PM2 and the Manix regularly. The Manix will definitely feel somewhat bigger. Ok, by me, I love the Manix -- but if the PM2 feels big in the pocket to you, then the Manix most certainly will.

I don't know a thing about the Flytanium CF.

Take a look at the Native 5 -- not what I would call a distinctly "nicer" knife -- sort of in the same size class as the Para 3, but worth a look perhaps. A very popular knife with many, and I like it too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Armen wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:35 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
What's wrong with the knife having the best lock type? ;)

Since you like the Para 3, why not buy a CF run of it?

Sounds rough in LA. I can whip out a Police at a bar to trim a loose thread off my shirt where I live.
Last edited by vivi on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manix 2 is going to carry "bigger" than the PM2. Although if you go LW, it might be lighter.

Personally, when I'm in CA, I carry a Chaparral, but that's not on your agenda.

What about the Native? Also available in LW, Maxamet and s110v.

UKPK is Golden made, available in s110v, and super light and slim in the pocket. Is that too small for you?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Armen wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I used to be really negative on backlocks, but the Native 5 might change your mind. It is as good as it gets with backlocks.

Backlocks are remarkably strong, but if you are into compulsive knife fiddling, it might not be your cup of tea.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the manix is wider at its widest point, but it is slimmer at the top of the pocket, making it easier to reach past for other items in your pocket. no one ever talks about this, but i’ve found it to be an important aspect to consider. even the native, which is quite a bit smaller than the manix, doesn’t sit as nicely in the pocket and is bigger at the top of the pocket. you may have to try one to see if it works for you or not. it’s my favorite spyderco.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Armen wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:57 pm
Hello Everyone,

I currently own a Benchmade Bugout and a Para 3 in S110V. These 2 knives have filled my "lightweight" and "great EDC blade" needs.

I'm looking for a "nicer" knife to carry in my rotation. I've come to learn that if the "nicer" knife is expensive I tend not to carry it and eventually sell it because it sits in a drawer. I did this with a CR Small Sebenza and a Benchmade 940-1.

• How does it carry in the pocket compared to a PM2? I remember the PM2 feeling big in the pocket to me when I had one.
  • How is the BBL compared to an axis lock? I've read it's a bit more stiffer to disengage.
  • What are thoughts on the Flytanium Carbon Fiber?
I can't weigh in on all, but at least on some of your questions:

- I have a PM2 and had a Manix lw, I personally like the way the PM2 carries better (sure the Manix in the lw version is lighter). But there really is not too much difference imho.

- The BBL is a bit stiffer than the axxis lock, but to be honest that's based on experience just with the single one Minigrip I have and the single one Manix I had.
Still I prefer the feel of the BBL, it also never opened in the pocket as it can happen with the axxis-lock, furthermore the springs of the latter broke on me twice.

- as you expressed reservations against backlocks: Especially on the Native the backlock is done just perfectly.
Maybe backlocks take a little time to get used to, but for me it's my favorite lock by far.

- I wouldn't shy away from carrying a bit more expensive knives if such a model is the one you really like and enjoy
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

If you are down with CF, why don't you get something that has all original Spyderco parts including the CF scales? Factory parts are usually going to be better than aftermarket. If you want a Manix, there is a beautiful 4v sprint right now with marbled CF scales. I'd have to say this is one of the nicest (in terms of fit and finish) Spydercos I've ever handled, and I dare say it is the very best Manix 2 they have ever produced. All other "nice" Spyderco's I would be able to recommendbased off of my own experiences all come from Taiwan unfortunately... if you do change your mind make sure to check out the Kapara, its just so refined, and I really like the Sage 2 as well if you appreciate beauty in simplicity, and dont let the fact that it is part of a 5 knife series discount anything about it at all.

The 4v Manix though, I really don't think you will regret at all, especially if you were already inlined in that direction. The 4v has a high polish finish and weighs more than the standard FFG by a pretty tangible amount, the weight definitely creates a more luxurious feel during open/closing for me and just feels more valuable too since you are getting more knife steel. The best part about that steel is that it is insanely tough and you most likely can hammer that thing thru a nail without any chipping or damage. Its like having a girlfriend who's a swimsuit model and a 5 star chef as well!

relevant pic

4v impact demo(thanks bluntcut)
https://youtu.be/vkWtqkW3UHY
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I almost want to say every golden model has a carbon fiber variant available.
That's why I'm suggesting a blurple military
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The fradonlock manix is out of stock
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I carry a Manix 2 LW or backlock almost on a daily basis. I do not find the knife too wide, but then again, I do not use the pocket clip. I simply drop the knife down into my pocket where it disappears quite nicely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:54 am
The fradonlock manix is out of stock

It might not be much cheaper than the secondary market, but Country Knives had one when I was there a week ago.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hmmm, If he seems to think the PM2 felt big in his pocket, then he should probably cancel the idea of the Manix. Yet he wants a CBBL, which the Manix is the only option at this point. I agree with the others, when it comes to a larger and classy knife...ruling out Taichung is severely limiting your options. I was going to say Gayle Bradley 2. On the large side, classy, carbon fiber...don't quote me, but I believe it may ride slightly smaller in the pocket than the PM2. I don't have either with me to compare at the moment.

You put us in a tough spot OP!!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

double post
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Go with a native lots of cutting power in a light weight package will be carrying one of my LC200N versions doing yard work today.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Armen wrote: I'm looking for a USA made solution so the Sage 5, chaparral and the other carbon fiber SpyderCos are out of the question. :|
Tucson Tom wrote:
Armen wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
I used to be really negative on backlocks, but the Native 5 might change your mind. It is as good as it gets with backlocks.

Backlocks are remarkably strong, but if you are into compulsive knife fiddling, it might not be your cup of tea.

The fluted carbon fiber Native is truly a great knife if you're looking for something in the Sage/Chap range that has to say Golden on it. I think it's about as close as you'll ever get.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF