Ikuchi - The New Kiwi?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Ikuchi - The New Kiwi?

Post by Zatx »

The venerable Kiwi - compact, classy, gentleman's (gentlepersons) folder, available in a variety of configurations, a classic.

The Ikuchi - compact, elegant, modern flipper gentleperon's folder, an instant classic that needs many configurations!

Your thoughts?

Tims

Re: Ikuchi - The New Kiwi?

Post by Tims »

I don’t feel a flipper can ever be classed as a true gentlemans carry. A gents knife is largely defined by how it’s perceived by others. It fits the bill aesthetically but then you explosively deploy all that steel :/
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Tims wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:38 am
I don’t feel a flipper can ever be classed as a true gentlemans carry. A gents knife is largely defined by how it’s perceived by others. It fits the bill aesthetically but then you explosively deploy all that steel :/

Except the deployment of the Ikuchi is so fast (and quiet) that no one sees it; it's invisible!
Tims

Post by Tims »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:40 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:38 am

Except the deployment of the Ikuchi is so fast (and quiet) that no one sees it; it's invisible!
That’s what scares them!
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

They look both similar in that they are slim, but then everything else looks to be opposite - light CF vs heavy steel bolsters, flipper only vs spydiehole only sabre vs FFG, wharncliffe vs trailing point, the different blade shapes almost lend them to uses on complete opposite ends of the spectrum
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
arty

Post by arty »

It is too large for that role.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

To me they're pretty different. Compact and elegant might be the only features they share. Also, I feel like the Wharncliffe blade is a defining feature of the Kiwi.
-Nick :bug-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t think the Ikuchi is another Kiwi, for obvious reasons — blade, bolsters, etc. I do think that the Ikuchi can be classed as a gentleman’s knife. There is no standard, or generally accepted definitions of that. Everyone seems to have their own idea.

The Ikuchi is one of my gentleman’s knives: light, slim, unobtrusive, effective. As to the flipper, there are some folks who would faint at the sight of a quickly drawn fountain pen. I just don’t care.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I think you guys might be taking my image of the Ikuchi as the modern Kiwi a little too literal. I didn't mean to paint a picture of it as replacing the actual Kiwi, mirroring it in blade shape, handle, bolsters, etc.; I understand in some ways they are vastly different. I was thinking more of it as a spiritual successor; as a long-term collectible model that is offered in a plethora of handle materials, steels, and colors that creates the type of following the Kiwi had (and has).
Terp61

Post by Terp61 »

I think the Ikuchi is definetly in the category as a classic design. A very unique Spyderco offering. There’s a lot of interest for it on this forum. I have one scheduled for delivery tomorrow, can’t wait to carry it.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

My Ikuchi was delivered to me about a week ago and I love this knife, I think the first dealer to get on that exclusive will make a killing. would love to see some xhp but I'm not picky, just more varieties because I'l probably want to get them all. I should contact cutlery shoppe and plant the bug for an orange xhp ikuchi if it hasn't been considered yet!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I could definitely see the Ikuchi turn into a true gent's knife. But then I'd like to see a 'junior' of 'lil'' version of the Ikuchi, together with some fancier materials.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Drahkis wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:47 am
My Ikuchi was delivered to me about a week ago and I love this knife, I think the first dealer to get on that exclusive will make a killing. would love to see some xhp but I'm not picky, just more varieties because I'l probably want to get them all. I should contact cutlery shoppe and plant the bug for an orange xhp ikuchi if it hasn't been considered yet!

It looks great but I don't like CF. Now if there was an Orange G10/DLC CTS-XHP Cutlery Shoppe exclusive, count me in!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a nice knife but I really don't see any similarities beyond being a gents knife. Ergonomically the Kiwis are in a class of their own, and the Ikuchi is without a doubt easier to deploy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:13 am
The venerable Kiwi - compact, classy, gentleman's (gentlepersons) folder, available in a variety of configurations, a classic.

The Ikuchi - compact, elegant, modern flipper gentleperon's folder, an instant classic that needs many configurations!

Your thoughts?

I like the look of the Ikuchi. I am super bummed i arrived at the Spyderco party after they stopped production. I think the Ikuchi may have a shot at icon status personally.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

BigKenbo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Zatx wrote:

Your thoughts?

I like the look of the Ikuchi. I am super bummed i arrived at the Spyderco party after they stopped production. I think the Ikuchi may have a shot at icon status personally.

I don't think the ikuchi has been discontinued.
They only just released the product.
Odds are if you're not seeing any available it's because they sold out of the first batch
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:10 am
It's a nice knife but I really don't see any similarities beyond being a gents knife. Ergonomically the Kiwis are in a class of their own, and the Ikuchi is without a doubt easier to deploy.
I agree, the Ikuchi, while a great design, is just a bit too muchon the large size for a what I consider a gents knife, and the scales should be a bit more exotic than G10/CF in black. The Kiwi is in a class of its own as a gents knife..

Not saying I wouldn't get an Ikuchi, but its not quite what I consider a gents folder...
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
prsman

Post by prsman »

These kiwi 4s look great. How flickable are they? Can you open them by flicking with the thumb or middle finger?
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Marulaghost wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:45 pm
BigKenbo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Zatx wrote:

Your thoughts?

I don't think the ikuchi has been discontinued.
They only just released the product.
Odds are if you're not seeing any available it's because they sold out of the first batch
Apologies i meant the kiwi had been discontinued. Over 50 years old and just cant get the communication lol! Anyway yeah i think the Ikuchi will be a real winner. Just would have liked to find a kiwi also.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

flasharry wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:25 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:10 am
I agree, the Ikuchi, while a great design, is just a bit too muchon the large size for a what I consider a gents knife, and the scales should be a bit more exotic than G10/CF in black. The Kiwi is in a class of its own as a gents knife..

Not saying I wouldn't get an Ikuchi, but its not quite what I consider a gents folder...
Why not make a smaller Ikuchi...
A "Mini-ikuchi" if you will...