s30v spyderco's acceptable

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rabbitanarchy14

s30v spyderco's acceptable

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i know i am probably in the minority but i have a few knives in s30v and have had others and i honestly have to say it is not a dissapointment. so many ppl say they need cruwear or maxamet or zdp, but i am really happy with s30v, its good all around. if anyone else feels this way plz comment. :D
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Re: s30v spyderco's acceptable

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:18 am
i know i am probably in the minority but i have a few knives in s30v and have had others and i honestly have to say it is not a dissapointment. so many ppl say they need cruwear or maxamet or zdp, but i am really happy with s30v, its good all around. if anyone else feels this way plz comment. :D
I personally am totally satisfied with S30V and how it performs. I really don´t need anything "better" on my knives, or would even prefer S30V to steels that may have better edge retention, but are harder to sharpen, even if they came at the same price point as S30V; (I know that "BETTER" is not exactly the right term when it comes to steels, but you get what I mean)

But to be honest: That opinion is absolutely N O T based on real knowledge or experience, for I never got into steels too much and have not really used many that are considered to be "better" than S30V. Maybe HAP40, which I might prefer over S30 V, but I´d take any knife I like by its design happily in either of those steels.

So it´s just my personal approach and decision to be happy with steels on the "S30V-level", and I even have a lot of respect for people who know vastly more about steels than I do and so have the background to enjoy knives in various kinds of steels.

EDIT: That does not mean, I would know absolutely nothing about steels or would not care at all about which steel my blades are made of. Sure I have some I like, for example VG10 and S30V, and sure I can tell the differences between those two. It´s just that when it comes for example to the balance between edge retention and sharpenability and so on, S30V gives me all I need, while for example 420 or the like really does not.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

S30V is a well balanced steel. I have different folders with that steel which all are users. I judge a steel simply by using it in my own uses. Nice to know the theoretical background of a steel, the composition, heat treat or other person uses or tests. But how a steel performs for me i can only be the judge of that. I know that edge geometry also plays a big role. I am totally happy with the edge retention, corrossion resistance and sharpenability of S30V. Certainly i like other steels as well and mostly the fact that each steel has its own properties and best uses. It truly is a rabbithole getting all these nice steels. Wished i only sticked to S30V....
Oke, maybe not.... :D
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

This forum represents a very small percentage of knife users, but also seems to draw in one of, if not THE smallest portion of knife users; the more "nerdy" type. There are sports nerds, car nerds, and nerds for every interest you can imagine. They are numbers-driven, performance-oriented people, myself included. These people will focus on sports players with crazy stats, muscle cars with high horsepower, or knives with insane steels. To clarify, not every super steel user is in this category, I'm generalizing.

If you ask people outside this bubble, what they think of S30V, you'll probably get some confused looks and questions about why it even matters. There's a reason S30V is used so much, and there are people who love it.

Here's the thing; there is no right or wrong steel, just right or wrong applications.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:31 am
This forum represents a very small percentage of knife users, but also seems to draw in one of, if not THE smallest portion of knife users; the more "nerdy" type. There are sports nerds, car nerds, and nerds for every interest you can imagine. They are numbers-driven, performance-oriented people, myself included. These people will focus on sports players with crazy stats, muscle cars with high horsepower, or knives with insane steels. To clarify, not every super steel user is in this category, I'm generalizing.

If you ask people outside this bubble, what they think of S30V, you'll probably get some confused looks and questions about why it even matters. There's a reason S30V is used so much, and there are people who love it.

Here's the thing; there is no right or wrong steel, just right or wrong applications.
Hear, hear!!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

S30v is more than enough for me. Easy to touch up on the sharpmaker. Haven't experienced chipping.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:34 am
S30v is more than enough for me. Easy to touch up on the sharpmaker. Haven't experienced chipping.
Same here. I've been very happy with my S30V knives
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Count me in on S30V being just fine as well. 2 of my favorite knives are actually in S30V (OD Green PM2/DLC and the Smock)

I've said it before...we're all here because we're a different breed from the average Joe when it comes to knives. A lot of folks here don't even hard use their knives and could probably be fine with 8cr13mov or vg10...but we've been spoiled by Sal and the crew. Someone that has an office job has no need for a super steel, but they like the variety of options or the sprint/exclusive or just to have something new to them, and that's perfectly fine.

I'm willing to bet if Spyderco took a blade that's S30V, and stamped it with M390/S110V/Cruwear/etc...something that isn't easily corroded, that 8 out of 10 people here probably wouldn't notice the difference when using it. Maybe when touching up and sharpening.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have very few plain old base model Spydies and while I do use and carry my sprints/exclusives I generally grab one of the regular production knives when I know I am gonna be using a knife hard. That includes a Para2 and a Yojimbo2 in S30V and both have been used hard and put away wet. No conplaints with S30V here.

I took the Para2 down to 20 degrees inclusive and cut up an old heavy area rug and the edge rolled severely but did not chip. I have had zero chipping with S30v.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

There is nothing wrong with S30V, it works very well and is very well balanced all around steel.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'll take s30v over s35vn any day of the week, and nights and weekends too.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 am
I'm just curious why? I actually like S35VN better but I think it just has to do with it being a little more exclusive in Spyderco's line up vs S30V.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like S30V. I might like S35VN a bit more, but that could be mostly in my mind. S35 seems a *bit* easier to resharpen and a bit tougher, but TBH, the difference for me is negligible.

I see many on forums saying S30V is a sub-par steel that always chips, doesn't hold an edge, or is simply 'boring'. The boring part I don't get. Is it the "CPM S30V" stamped on the blade? Or because of its actual performance? And if a blade made of it cuts great, holds a good edge, and is simple enough to resharpen, I don't get where the 'boring' comes in.

It's a great all-around steel. My favorite steel right now is LC200N, but that's because of its extreme corrosion resistance. I still like S30V a lot, and I much prefer it over something like S110V.

Jim
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

No thanks.

The only way I buy S30V or S35VN is if the design is so strong that it is a sin to miss out on a knife over the steel. The recent Ikuchi is one such super strong design that prompted me to purchase not one but two despite S30V.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:08 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 am
I'm just curious why? I actually like S35VN better but I think it just has to do with it being a little more exclusive in Spyderco's line up vs S30V.
I find s30v to be much more consistent in performance. Across different manufacturers I've had s35vn behave very differently.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

[/quote]
I find s30v to be much more consistent in performance. Across different manufacturers I've had s35vn behave very differently.
[/quote]

I noticed this also. I am guessing it is the Heat Treatment of it.
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I love s30v and own and use many knives that have it. I see the two biggest complaints about it being that it is still called a ‘super steel’ or ‘premium steel’ and the other complaint being when Spyderco makes an expensive model and use s30v. These issues really don’t bother me, I love it regardless of what ppl want to call it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Redman5006 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:38 am
I love s30v and own and use many knives that have it. I see the two biggest complaints about it being that it is still called a ‘super steel’ or ‘premium steel’ and the other complaint being when Spyderco makes an expensive model and use s30v. These issues really don’t bother me, I love it regardless of what ppl want to call it.
There are designs I would buy if they were not S30V or S35VN and no I am sorry neither of these steels deserves a premium price tag. I do dislike great designs being hobbled by these less capable steels.

The reason I no longer buy it is that there are better steels available that perform better and keep a truly sharp edge longer.

For example Paramilitary 2 $160.00 in S30V or S35VN or... PM2 in CTS-XHP $200.00 I will ignore the S30V or S35VN and spend the extra money for the better steel all day everyday. Why? Because i love the way the steel takes an edge holds it and remains truly sharp for long periods of time. I also love how it responds to sharpening very rewarding for the effort spent VG10 is like this also as well as LC200N.

I prefer my edges to be extremely sharp as I enjoy this aspect first and foremost. If an edge snags cutting anything then it ruins it for me. Picky right? :) I love cutting a material and getting a surprise wondering wow did it really go through that easily with that little bit of effort? To me this is the magic. :D

It is not a matter of having the right sharpening tools or ability which the tools take up the slack for :) S30V and S35VN are great steels just not great at holding a truly sharp edge and that matters most to me.

A premium design in my mind deserves and should have a premium steel to match its design. Take the Hundred Pacer for example a perfect premium design married to a perfect premium steel CTS-XHP. Wonderful! Take the Lionspy premium design using Elmax a wonderful steel. The Stretch perfect design all about ergos great handle and usability married to VG10 perfect combo.

These are just a few examples of getting it right all the way around in my honest opinion. Hundred Pacer in S30V no thanks.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd be satisfied with 154CM, so S30V is more than acceptable to me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

S30V is just fine, along with S35VN and the their simpler steels. I know I sure don’t carry around diamond rods in my pocket or backpack when I am out in the woods. With simpler steels it is much easier to touch them up in the field, with say a nice river rock or your car windshield if you are close enough. You shouldn’t have to carry around fancy sharpening gear when you are out in the woods. Simpler steels are just that, simple and great.
Josh