s30v spyderco's acceptable

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: s30v spyderco's acceptable

Post by steelcity16 »

I have tried to avoid S30V as much as possible only because there are other steel options and I like variety, and reserve it for a model I can't do without. That said, I do plan on getting a Sage LW as my first S30V since I really like that design and there are no other steel options at the moment. It will be interesting to really compare it to my XHP Chap and my incoming S35VN Para 3. Now I need something in M390/CTS-204P/CPM-20CV and K390/CPM-10V to add to this comparison. Hopefully some G10 Natives will drop with these steels soon!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
carrot

Post by carrot »

Spyderco's S30V is far better than just acceptable. The heat treat at Golden takes it to another level, whereas I've used S30V from a number of other brands that ended up performing substantially inferior. Polished up real well, it takes a wildly keen edge, and left toothy it can cut aggressively all day long. It also doesn't rust very easily!

It's tough, easy to sharpen, and will stay "working sharp" nearly forever. Keeps higher level of sharpness pretty well too. Other steels are good too. But there's not a single Spyderco model that would turn me away for having "only" S30V.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I think S30V is more than sufficient but I do prefer LC200N For the corrosion resistant properties.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

carrot wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm
Spyderco's S30V is far better than just acceptable. The heat treat at Golden takes it to another level, whereas I've used S30V from a number of other brands that ended up performing substantially inferior. Polished up real well, it takes a wildly keen edge, and left toothy it can cut aggressively all day long. It also doesn't rust very easily!

It's tough, easy to sharpen, and will stay "working sharp" nearly forever. Keeps higher level of sharpness pretty well too. Other steels are good too. But there's not a single Spyderco model that would turn me away for having "only" S30V.
I have noticed my lil native can work really well with a toothy edge!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm happy with any steel that lets the tool do its job. S30V does that in my Manix XL, and 420hc does that in my Leatherman.

I have higher end steels and they're cool, but I don't require them by any means.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I had some mediocre opinions about S30V based on knives from other makers. I have found S30V in my Spyderco knives to be excellent. I have heard people here on the forum attribute that to Spyderco doing a better job on the heat treat of S30V, and that very well may be true.

S30V may not be the hottest, coolest, sexiest, latest, exotic steel -- but in Spyderco knives, it is pretty good stuff. I have revised my attitudes about it.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:18 am
i know i am probably in the minority but i have a few knives in s30v and have had others and i honestly have to say it is not a dissapointment. so many ppl say they need cruwear or maxamet or zdp, but i am really happy with s30v, its good all around. if anyone else feels this way plz comment. :D
It's more then capable! I can't believe how much cardboard, Wood, and plastic I cut with my Lil Native DLC. ..with just touching up on a strop daily! IMO most of the people who complain about S30V couldn't tell the difference between M390 , 20CV, CTS-204P, and S35VN in CUTTING performance alone in a blind test! Cognitive Bias is very powerful. ..especially with the over stimulation of social media!

James
Last edited by Extra330SC on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

S30V is great and works well for the desired price / performance point they're going for on new releases to make them available to more people. I do wish they would run some production 20CV or similar on the Golden line like they did with S110V and Rex 45 but I guess they're leaving it to exclusives? The cost doesn't seem to be much more so I wish they would run it in production. Esp if it means I can get a Golden made knife in a color other than black and blurple
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

If you just want to get some cutting done, S30V is fine. So is 8cr13mov for that matter. However, if you are fascinated with the amazing steels we can have for just a small uptick in price, then you are having more fun than adequacy will offer. If I'm around saltwater, S110V is in my pocket. If not, Maxamet. If in the woods, CPM 4V in a sheath. Life is good.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The only reason I won’t get S30V in a given Spydie model is because Sal/Eric is tempting me with a steel I have yet to try.

I have a bunch of S30V and certainly don’t think it underperforms or is overpriced for how it performs.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I guess I should try using a lower grit finish to fully appreciate s30v - I generally like smooth edges, but I shouldn't make a pick up truck run laps
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Zero issues with the performance of S30V here. I admit i rarely carry my native in S30 because i have a few others i like better, but it has NEVER let me down. And honestly having come from the "old school" with Tru-sharp etc. I can tell you S30V is so much better than what we have been using for a few thousand years, i dont understand any complaints at all. I love my S110 and maxamet and lc200n the ZDP and HAP40 are all wonderful, but talking down S30V IMHO is like trying to talk down a big block 67 corvette. Maybe your Ferrari is faster, maybe some think its prettier, or computers and traction control are the only way to go. But you mash the throttle on the 427 and you will be plenty satisfied with the result.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
David R

Post by David R »

Not uncommon to see "not buying that knife - it has S30V" on Bladeforums. Just S30V? It seems perfectly fine as knife steel to me. I've read a lot about chipping, but I haven't seen it. I don't think I'm overly careful with my knifes. Nor am I abusive with them.

I must have Spyderco knives with 20 different steels. I've used and sharpened most of them. I haven't had any issues with it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have noticed that the issue with S30V is mostly with internet trolls and armchair "experts". Too many people form their opinions from those who shout the loudest with the least knowledge. I do not know of any experts in steel nor any experienced knife makers that think there is anything wrong with S30V. I certainly have never had an issue. I also note the Buck is using it now and there have been no issues of which I am aware.

It is true, like with most other steels, that a factory edge can get "burnt", for lack of a better word, with the use of mechanical sharpeners. That can cause chipping with any steel, but once it is resharpened, the problem is solved.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've got a similar testimony but not with S30V. My go-to blade steel and the Spyders I find myself using the most are my VG-10 units. Now I'm a big fan of many of Crucible's blade steels but S30V isn't one of their blade steels I'm really high on. It's predecessor 440V ( S60V) is one of my favorite blade steels for Spyderedges. But I don't find S30V to be good for serrations. I even find VG-10 to be significantly better for Spyderedges and it's also great for plain edges which you don't find with many steels to be great for both edge types.

I've had problems with micro-chipping with a couple of my S30V blades and I can't get it to hold an edge nearly as long as I can with VG-10. I do have about 4 Spyders left with that steel but it's mainly because I can't get these units in anything else. I'll never give up my Dodo models and again that's all they are available in is S30V up till now. I wish Larrin would do a side by side test with VG-10 vs S30V.

Not sure whether or not it's a heat treatment problem or what. I've heard for years that D-2 for instance is a somewhat tricky steel to properly heat treat. Again I like a lot of CPM's ( Crucibles) blade steels but again S30V isn't one of them unfortunately.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I need a lot more abrasion resistance than s30v offers for my job, but s30v is one of my favorite weekend steels. Well balanced and easy to give an amazing edge.

I primarily use my maxamet manix/Native and m4 shaman at work and my manix xl, s30v shaman, and Caribbean on the weekend.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:27 pm
Redman5006 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:38 am
I love s30v and own and use many knives that have it. I see the two biggest complaints about it being that it is still called a ‘super steel’ or ‘premium steel’ and the other complaint being when Spyderco makes an expensive model and use s30v. These issues really don’t bother me, I love it regardless of what ppl want to call it.
There are designs I would buy if they were not S30V or S35VN and no I am sorry neither of these steels deserves a premium price tag. I do dislike great designs being hobbled by these less capable steels.

The reason I no longer buy it is that there are better steels available that perform better and keep a truly sharp edge longer.

For example Paramilitary 2 $160.00 in S30V or S35VN or... PM2 in CTS-XHP $200.00 I will ignore the S30V or S35VN and spend the extra money for the better steel all day everyday. Why? Because i love the way the steel takes an edge holds it and remains truly sharp for long periods of time. I also love how it responds to sharpening very rewarding for the effort spent VG10 is like this also as well as LC200N.

I prefer my edges to be extremely sharp as I enjoy this aspect first and foremost. If an edge snags cutting anything then it ruins it for me. Picky right? :) I love cutting a material and getting a surprise wondering wow did it really go through that easily with that little bit of effort? To me this is the magic. :D

It is not a matter of having the right sharpening tools or ability which the tools take up the slack for :) S30V and S35VN are great steels just not great at holding a truly sharp edge and that matters most to me.

A premium design in my mind deserves and should have a premium steel to match its design. Take the Hundred Pacer for example a perfect premium design married to a perfect premium steel CTS-XHP. Wonderful! Take the Lionspy premium design using Elmax a wonderful steel. The Stretch perfect design all about ergos great handle and usability married to VG10 perfect combo.

These are just a few examples of getting it right all the way around in my honest opinion. Hundred Pacer in S30V no thanks.

I've never experienced XHP far outclassing S30V, or S35VN, that I'd pay near 50% more for the XHP alone. Sure, the edge wears slightly different; S30V a little more tooth, XHP a little more smooth, but sharper than S30V? I'd say no. The upcharge for XHP has always seemed to be the availability limit in comparison. Both steels are near identical in regards to wear in my experience.

I've also never had S30V snag during a cut, curious to know how this happened for you in comparison to the other steels you have mentioned?

Aside from the Elmax you've listed, the other steels are equal (XHP), or inferior (VG-10) from my usage. I see S30V/35VN as just as premium or super of a steel that seem to get this kind of wrap from many folks, which don't seem to be able to justify the means of inferiority it holds vs any other steel :confused:
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Very odd reply... defend S30V and S35VN if you feel the need but I still disagree and say well spend your money the way you want but in my eyes you could not be more wrong.
vivi

Post by vivi »

If S30V doesn't hold a sharp edge well for someone my first guess would be poor sharpening.
:unicorn
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:41 pm
If S30V doesn't hold a sharp edge well for someone my first guess would be poor sharpening.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS....

James