Ikuchi Notes and Suggestion Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Ikuchi Notes and Suggestion Thread

Post by MichaelScott »

I have had my Ikuchi for a few days and I thought it might be helpful to post a thread where we can all log our observations, and suggestions about the knife as it is and perhaps some improvements or changes that we would like to see.

I would start off with a suggestion to make the compression lock access bit larger so that it would be easier to release it with a fingertip. Right now I think it’s a little too shallow.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Larry_Mott

Re: Ikuchi Notes and Suggestion Thread

Post by Larry_Mott »

Eagerly awaiting delivery of mine :) I will chime in later. I remember liking it enough to decide to get one.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

First let me say I love this design. Regardless of whether any tweeks are made to it or not, I definitely see myself picking one of these up at some point.

I would have more of a ricasso (take away little bit of the edge near the handle). This would probably be a lefty knife for me. And as such my preferred closing method is the same as a backlock. I would depress the tab with my thumb and let my index finger catch the blade as it closed, then turn it and close it fully (This is how I close all of my backlocks and compression locks I carry lefty) Currently trying to stop the blade with my index finger would result in a bandaid.

This is also how I close my Rhino right handed, because the blade is so small and the action on Taichung knives so tight, it doesn't fall free without some momentum behind it. I keep my finger just behind the choil in the path of the blade and use my thumb to depress the lock. I swing it halfway closed letting my finger catch the ricasso. I do this rather than the way I would close a Golden compression lock like the para 3 that falls free, because I have to swing it so hard to close it I'm afraid of accidentally throwing the thing.

I haven't handled an Ikuchi yet so I don't know if it falls free or not, but if it doesn't a ricasso may help for right handed closes as well.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My Ikuchi will not fall closed. If I depress the lock tab and give a bit of a shake it will close to some degree, occasionally completely if I shake it with some force.

I expect this will improve over time.

However, the opening to access the lock bar tab is so shallow that I have to rely on my finger nail to push it in far enough. Using my finger instead only allows it to contact the edge of the lock bar tab which, after a few times produces a sore finger.

I am also thinking that this design would greatly benefit from a button to actuate the lock bar. If a Walker Liner Lock or Revel Integral Lock was used the ricasso would have to be larger to protect one’s finger. I’d prefer to stick with the compression lock to preserve the blade geometry but with better access.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I dont own an ikuchi but I got to handle one recently and would like to just say as a lefty I decided to pass on this one. The access is extremely shallow and having to jam a thumb in it was just a hassle everytime. Snappy beast though. Flew right out everytime. I have L - XL hands and found it slightly small.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Seems to me this knife is destined for some CQI. Lots of praise thus far, but quite a bit of gripe as well. The perks of a new model!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Imprezed

Post by Imprezed »

I loved the knife. Mine was a bit tight but expected it to loosen up. I agree on a bigger compression lock opening being bigger. Sadly I was out in downtown and I lost it brewery hopping. It is light and doesn't take up pocket space and I love that but I didn't notice where I lost it. Oh well another is on the way and I will pay more attention next time. Great knife and one of my favs
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

After having mine for a few days I can say I wouldn't change much but maybe a few tweaks are needed. If you make much more access for the compression lock then I think your finger would make contact with the blade but they prob could give you a little more space. I find myself turning the blade 180 in my hand and pushing down on the lock with my thumb. I would like to see the tip lowered into the handle a bit more as I have already cut myself on the tip while it was closed. And I do wish the liners were nested
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

I really wonder what the X-factor is in ensuring a comp lock is going to give you smooth and free swinging drop shut action. The Taichung factory seems to be just as on point if not even more than the Golden one when it comes to tolerances and fit, so what could it be if that isnt the reason? I guess another thing i noticed that supports the idea is that the Caribbean has pretty good action coming out of Taiwan, and then some Golden models, such as the Lil Native are inconsistent in comparison. Really the only model i'd say that I've experienced to have the perfect comp lock action consistently every time I've owned one was the Para 3.

edit: btw, @Zrows, the action on the ikuchi is very similar to the Rhino. Requires a little wrist flick and sometimes still will not make it all the way. I personally like to practice until I get used to the right amount of force to get it closed or near closed, and then if it requires it I will squeeze the blade shut if it didnt make it all the way in
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Here's my suggestion... remove the lock bar cut out altogether. In its place, move the hole up to the lock bar area and fill that hole with a button release. ;)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'd suggest seating the closed blade a wee bit deeper in the handle, so the upswept tip can't cut you when your fingers slide up the handle looking for the wheel to deploy the knife.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

My suggestion will be met with resistance by some, but I going to suggest it...captive ceramic ball bearings. I know this is beyond CQI and more of a new version.

I've been playing with three knives similar in size to the Ikuchi; two made in China; one made in Italy. All three had dead perfect centering, crisp deployment with little effort, and drop shut closing straight out of the box. Would love to see the Ikuchi perform at this level.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Mako109 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:26 am
My suggestion will be met with resistance by some, but I going to suggest it...captive ceramic ball bearings. I know this is beyond CQI and more of a new version.

I've been playing with three knives similar in size to the Ikuchi; two made in China; one made in Italy. All three had dead perfect centering, crisp deployment with little effort, and drop shut closing straight out of the box. Would love to see the Ikuchi perform at this level.
Bearings are one way to keep alignment without too much drag on opening/closing, but I prefer the pivot bushing (as used in Golden-made compression locks.)

"Fall-shut" requires smooth opening and closing, but you can usually always achieve that without bearings. On some framelocks they just use a bigger detent for a balance of low tension during open/close and high enough flipper-release detent. Bearings just get you there more easily without side-to-side blade play or centering issues.
(Some of my $150-class ball-bearing knives still have enough slop that the lockbar pressure pushes the blade off center when closed.)