The one knife worth breaking my rule

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

Re: The one knife worth breaking my rule

Post by JonLeBlanc »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 am
You should really grab a 52100 PM2 while they are still around, you won't be sorry, and you can tick that one off your list.

Where can one get this one still?
Pretty sure GPKnives still has it, and they're a good retailer, and I think a few others have them as well. The PM2/Para3 variants in 52100 are just stellar, easily the finest pieces in my admittedly small collection. I only need to add the Military and my little family will be complete :)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I had a similar idea, and it worked to a point. But after that, I was missing out on too many models I really wanted to try, so I started to duplicate.

The interesting thing is you learn to appreciate how Geometry really has an influence on performance when you have multiple designs that use the same steel from the same company. Comparing and contrasting geometry can be just as interesting as comparing steels.

Honestly unless you're using the same knife in multiple steels, you're not truly comparing steels head to head anyways. You may think you have a favorite steel and a least favorite when comparing 2 different knives, but if you switched steels between the two, you may discover it was the geometry that you liked better, not the steel.

Make sense? Anyways I say get the smock if you can :D.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

It’s a slippery slope my friend. The dirty dozen sounds like a good idea. Give yourself a mulligan occasionally.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Funny thing: I signed up for "Email me when it's back in stock!" notification mails from several shops, expecting that it'll be some time before I'd get such a notice. Less than 5 hours later one of the shops sent the message - and I am dead broke right now. Last purchase (SG Delica from MD) was just a week ago...

Not funny actually. Oh well, I'll hang in and see what tomorrow brings...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Smock doesn't appeal to me at all but neither does your rule. It is great that you set boundaries for yourself but steel selection is not the most important factor when choosing a knife, at least not for me. It is definitely a factor but not one that single-handedly makes or breaks a purchase for me.

I do ask myself when I buy a knife why I am buying it and I do try to set some boundaries for myself as well. I am just not very good at it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Though I am really happy with what life gave to me, I am not a wealthy man (but not really poor either), my passion for various kinds of mountaineering requires some money and so I just can't afford too many knives.

Consequently I have kind of a rule, and that is: Not more than 10 Spydies at any given point in time. So I most times have to sell knives to get new ones.

But to be honest: It was always really totally predictable that I would have to break that rule eventually, and I'll do so quite light hearted... :)
I have 11 Spydercos at the moment, but one was a gift, so technically I am still following my "10 max" rule.
Now 9 of those (3 Enduras, 3 Stretches in various versions, 1 PM2, 1 Delica, 1 Chap) I am absolutely sure I never want to get rid of. On the other hand I really want an Endela, a Wharnie DFly, a Shaman and at least to try out a Chief... so math is against me and my poor little rule... :D
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

You could have your "one exception" to your rule. Or as Wartstein already made reference to; you could sway someone dear to you and receive it as a gift which would fall completely outside the rule. :D

Me, my rule: I start out wanting everything but quickly find out I don't. At some point it will start to feel like clutter than an appreciated collection so that sets my limit as to how much of something I am going to have. I tend to let the collection be amorphic, always looking to try out new things, keep some and let some go, which means the collection morphs over time for various reasons. Nothing to rigid or cast in stone.

Good luck to ya man!!! if I had a favorite, it would be in my collection...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I was intrigued by "the rule" and couldn't resist reading this to find out what it was. I certainly admire and identify with what you are aiming at with it.

It is always beneficial to "focus" in some way. Or just buy everything and go broke. The trick with exceptions is that they become a slippery slope and then the rule falls apart. This is more about psychology and self management than anything else.

Calling them guidelines and having several that work together is probably good. I avoid FRN knives, so that allows me to quickly say no to a bunch of knives. No doubt there are good things I am missing, but I am hardly short on knives! And it is not an inflexible rule. I bought a FRN Native 5 in Maxamet, allowing the desire for the steel to provide an override. Just having a knife budget is another big help. If I want it and the budget allows it, why not?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

For me focusing on lockbacks and it’s variant (Triad) helped so far, but not with the native chief, endela and harrier 2 coming :o
Have some guidelines to prevent overspending is good. After all it’s about wants and not needs ;)
Chris :spyder:
archangel

Post by archangel »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:24 am
I was intrigued by "the rule" and couldn't resist reading this to find out what it was. I certainly admire and identify with what you are aiming at with it.

It is always beneficial to "focus" in some way. Or just buy everything and go broke. The trick with exceptions is that they become a slippery slope and then the rule falls apart. This is more about psychology and self management than anything else.

Calling them guidelines and having several that work together is probably good. I avoid FRN knives, so that allows me to quickly say no to a bunch of knives. No doubt there are good things I am missing, but I am hardly short on knives! And it is not an inflexible rule. I bought a FRN Native 5 in Maxamet, allowing the desire for the steel to provide an override. Just having a knife budget is another big help. If I want it and the budget allows it, why not?

Thanks. You are right, once I break my rule, what's stopping me from trashing it altogether?
I have some guidelines, or let's say preferences. Not a big fan of FRN either, and also prefer any other locking type than liner. However I own a few FRN knives and a few liner / frame locks - and have learned to appreciate them (some more than others). The Smock has everything I love and nothing really that I don't like. I'm going to get one, if by the time I have the funds again it's still available. And have to discipline myself that the rulebreakers won't make my standing rule look like a joke.

Or sell the Szabo. But that's going to be so hard. It's an icon of the collaborations model line.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I realize many of us need some pseudo-logical reason to limit our knife buying, or the number of knives we own at any one time. But, in the end, all rules are made to be broken.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:05 am
I realize many of us need some pseudo-logical reason to limit our knife buying, or the number of knives we own at any one time. But, in the end, all rules are made to be broken.
Exactly! I don´t want to turn this into a philosophical discussion, but like it is with quite everything in life a responsible minded grown-up needs some kind of rules - but - in order to enjoy the time that is given to one - ALSO the ability not to get too rigid and stubborn, and to break rules, when no one gets harmed by doing so (including oneself...). Or when a rule makes no sense (anymore at all, or in a particular situation).

I mean, I would never cross a road on a crosswalk when the light is red,the traffic heavy, I could cause an accident and some small children are watching... but I´d sure do so at nighttime when the traffic is low (and the children, I could give a bad example to, are asleep... ;) )

(Now of course the truth is: That was just my excuse in order to buy a Shaman... :D :D :D )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

I set up my rule in 2016 I believe. Ever since I owned multiples for short periods of time a couple times. Never had a problem to sell the "older" knife. Several times I came across a knife that interested me, but buying it would have meant having to sell another, and I couldn't do it. It's another reason why I'm proud of my collection - I have been able to live by my rule. And I still don't want to break it.

I think I will continue to collect only one spydie of each model. The collection of steels however will allow to have multiples.
Michael
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:52 am
I set up my rule in 2016 I believe. Ever since I owned multiples for short periods of time a couple times. Never had a problem to sell the "older" knife. Several times I came across a knife that interested me, but buying it would have meant having to sell another, and I couldn't do it. It's another reason why I'm proud of my collection - I have been able to live by my rule. And I still don't want to break it.

I think I will continue to collect only one spydie of each model. The collection of steels however will allow to have multiples.
Your "rule" could not be mine, but still I think it is totally sensible and in no way "strange" to have it (or any knife-collecting rule that is).

I mean, think about it from an "outsiders"= "non-knife-nerds" perspective: Any of our rules (be it my "max. 10 Spydies at any one time" or your "steel-rule") STILL leaves us each with many more blades than we ever really NEED from a practical point of view... To be honest, probably I could last my whole life with one single Endura in HAP40 and a Sharpmaker and quite perfectly perform any cutting task. But what we enjoy is exactly NOT the sole practical point of view.. ;)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

But wait, pointless limitations is what this is all about !!

I recently heard (and liked) the claim that whenever you say yes to one thing, you say no to something else. I said yes to a significant purchase for one of my other hobbies, which currently means that I am having to say no to some knives. Like the Yojimbo M4 that just whizzed by this morning. I was tempted, but I feel a sense of relief that it is sold out.

One thing I avoid like the plague is "collect them all" thinking. So I want to avoid having all the Jade M4 knives from BHQ. That leads to a mindless collecting mindset and slavery that I want no part of. I want each knife I buy to be something I have considered as a worthy individual item. In the same vein, I try to have guidelines, but break them on rare occasions so I don't become a rigid black and white thinker. So I will probably buy a serrated pacific salt at some point just to have an FRN knife that breaks the rule of "no FRN knives". But for good reason -- the pacific salt is a well regarded classic, and the salt construction seems to mandate FRN.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Michael, i say stick to your rule. It is ment to prevent you from going broke on buying knives. And that is exactly what your rule does. I respect the way you manage to keep this under control. There will be a lot of other ‘smocks’ that will tempt you at buying them. Adhere to your rule. It works for you.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Having four Spydercos doesn’t exactly constitute a collection. However, all of my knives are different, not so much in steel, because I don’t care that much about different steels. I think if anything drives my acquisition of Spydercos (outside of a limited budget) it is difference in design that fits within my use requirements.

If I didn’t want my knives to be users I would have a few more than I do. If that “rule” should be broken and someday it may be, there are a couple of Spydercos that would be acquired just because they make me smile.

Life is shorter than you may think. I don’t have a lot of time left so I tend to look at things differently. Do what makes you happy and doesn’t harm others.

Make it a good day.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

archangel wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:40 am
Currently is the Smock. It has everything I like to see. Solid manly blade, ultra quick deployment even with multiple techniques (spydiehole flicking included!), safe and super smooth unlocking mechanism, anti-lightweight construction, premium scales material.

Now, I own the Szabo folder holding the S30V spot in my collection. I won't give it up, it's way too sexy looking and a beast of a knife.

You think it's worth breaking the rule? Having two knives with the same blade steel? ;)
I would love one of those Szabo folders in one of the supersteels. My rule breaker is my Dodo model. It's one of the few S30V folders I have left. I would also love it if they would do a Sprint Run of the DODO in one of the supersteels as well.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 pm
.... there are a couple of Spydercos that would be acquired just because they make me smile.
And there is the bottom line folks!

I can't afford every smile that might come my way, and sometimes timing is a significant issue.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks friends, appreciated. I need to think... Given my current financial situation, now is not the time to act anyway.
Michael