The one knife worth breaking my rule

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

The one knife worth breaking my rule

Post by archangel »

Currently is the Smock. It has everything I like to see. Solid manly blade, ultra quick deployment even with multiple techniques (spydiehole flicking included!), safe and super smooth unlocking mechanism, anti-lightweight construction, premium scales material.

Now, I own the Szabo folder holding the S30V spot in my collection. I won't give it up, it's way too sexy looking and a beast of a knife.

You think it's worth breaking the rule? Having two knives with the same blade steel? ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
PStone

Re: The one knife worth breaking my rule

Post by PStone »

Yes. I would think it has a place in your collection. I admire your strict convictions regarding your collection. I could not do it. But the design is so much different than anything else. It could be a unique lock type of your collection.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Rules are made to be broken. ..especially personal ones when no morality is attached :)

The Smock is a unique piece that really stands out from the everyday mundane knives we all love so much IMO.

Got for it!

James
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd reckon it's worth it!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's currently sold out. I have to hope for another production run, and that by then I won't be dead broke. If Gods are good, it will be mine.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ferider

Post by ferider »

Which Szabo ? You could extend your rules to allow two versions of the same steel, plain vs dlc :)
archangel

Post by archangel »

My other idea is to continue collecting models and steels limited to one each, but that maybe S30V is the one exclusion, the one steel that I can own multiple models of. Given that S30V is the most used steel. I'd have to miss out on too many ecxeptional designs otherwise...
Michael
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I would get whatever it is you like best!

Theoretically, it appears your rule is open to let you get what you don't like and prevents you from getting what you do like.

Dumb rule... my opinion.

Maybe an amendment is in order: one of each knife steel and absolutely must haves. Then your dilemma is solved...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Changing your rule to a guideline might help too...

CG
archangel

Post by archangel »

The rule was introduced to stop me from spending too much money, and to make my small collection special. It worked well so far, I am very proud of my collection being different from others. But like you said, it prevents me from having some absolute must-haves. And I really REALLY must have a Smock...
Michael
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

You should really grab a 52100 PM2 while they are still around, you won't be sorry, and you can tick that one off your list.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
archangel

Post by archangel »

I own a 20CV PM2 so I'd be breaking my rule. The 52100 Para3 however is a potential target. Not sure that Maxamet for which I kinda reserved the P3 will in fact ever return... But that's another subject. This thread is for my S30V dilemma, and my urge to own and pet a Smock... ;)
Last edited by archangel on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems like a crazy rule to me, there are so many amazing models in just S30V you're really cheating yourself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

How's about "one of each knife steel" and your "dirty dozen" (rule breakers of course)...

CG
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

or "seven sins" ...

CG
archangel

Post by archangel »

Dozen is better than seven... ;) EvilD I know that, but so far I managed to live without those models. I doubt that I can pass on the Smock, it's just too perfectly aligned with my preferred knife qualities.

All jokes aside, I really have to live by rules, otherwise it would literally financially ruin me.
Michael
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

archangel wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 am
I own a 20CV PM2 so I'd be breaking my rule. The 52100 Para3 however is a potential target. Not sure that Maxamet for which I kinda reserved the P3 will in fact ever return... But that's another subject. This thread is for my S30V dilemma, and my urge to own and pet a Smock... ;)
Ah, well in at case you'd love the Para3 as well :)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 am
You should really grab a 52100 PM2 while they are still around, you won't be sorry, and you can tick that one off your list.

Where can one get this one still?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Unless you're making a point to sharpen and heavily use all the steels you've collected, seems like a pointless limitation to impose on yourself.

I know I don't cut enough things to compare performance across 10 steels without doing dedicated testing sessions....much less 30.
:unicorn
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I think you should sell the Szabo and buy the Smock.