Re-Sprinting former Sprints in DLC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re-Sprinting former Sprints in DLC

Post by steelcity16 »

It is common knowledge that Sprint runs are supposed to be a one and done sort of thing never to be repeated. But I am thinking if the blade is changed to a DLC finish, it is a different knife and therefore could get by this unspoken "rule". :D

Who here wouldn't want to see a run of Grey G10 CPM-Cruwear and Burnt Orange G10 Rex-45 sprints with DLC blades and hardware? So many of us could get the knives we missed out on the first time in these great steels. And DLC lovers could rejoice as well! Win, win, win, win, win!!!

Who is with me?? :D :D :D :D
Last edited by steelcity16 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Extra330SC

Re: Re-Sprinting former Sprints in DLC

Post by Extra330SC »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Of course I'm in.... :)

James
FK

Post by FK »

No thanks, I do not like DLC or any type of coating on my blades.
In all of the polls taken,,,,, less than 25% responded with DLC preference.

Regards,
FK
SG89

Post by SG89 »

All of the dealer exclusives including BHQ and Cutlery Shoppe DLC blades that have been offered have sold out. Also St Nicks and River's Edge Cutlery. And the various distributor exclusive DLC S35VN blades as well. Also the USN exclusive Ladybugs and Endura but I guess that actually may be TiCN coating. Basically, DLC sells! :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

FK wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:12 pm
No thanks, I do not like DLC or any type of coating on my blades.
In all of the polls taken,,,,, less than 25% responded with DLC preference.

Regards,
FK

Enough people like it to sell out exclusive runs (M4 DLC Manix, M4 DLC Native, 4V DLC Para 3, CTS-XHP DLC Para 3, etc) in hours or even minutes in some cases. And in the case of "rerunning" sprints in Cruwear and Rex45, it is the only option.

I would also bet less than 1% of people on this forum prefer S30V as their steel of choice, yet they keep releasing pretty much every new model in this steel.

Just because you don't like it or the majority don't prefer it, doesn't mean it won't sell enough to make it a worthwhile endeavor. I can assure you that DLC runs of the Cruwear and Rex45 sprints would sell just fine. It would likely be just as difficult to get one as it was the first time, if not more difficult due to the ever-increasing love for these steels.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
fixall

Post by fixall »

Hard, hard pass. Sorry.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have no doubt that they would sell. I prefer my steels “in the white”, but I’d take a DLC version if the uncoated one is unobtainium.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Down with Sprint Runs and Up with Customized Upcharges for what we really want.

I think the majority of people will pay more than Sprints bring in for Spyderco even if it costs quite a bit more to have the knife they want in the steel and blade options they want.

For example if Sal said to me fine I will give you a Stretch in CPM Cruwear all hardware including liners blacked out with a PS Blade but it will be $250.00 I would say okay when can I take delivery and may I order a backup please.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

steelcity16 wrote:
It is common knowledge that Sprint runs are supposed to be a one and done sort of thing never to be repeated. But I am thinking if the blade is changed to a DLC finish, it is a different knife and therefore could get by this unspoken "rule". :D

Who here wouldn't want to see a run of Grey G10 CPM-Cruwear and Burnt Orange G10 Rex-45 sprints with DLC blades and hardware? So many of us could get the knives we missed out on the first time in these great steels. And DLC lovers could rejoice as well! Win, win, win, win, win!!!

No thanks, DLC is not my thing.

However, from what I understand, the only restriction on Sprint Runs is that the exact same knife can't be produced again. All that's needed is to change one thing. That "thing" could be steel, or scale/handle color, or scale/handle material, or blade grind, or it could be adding a blade coating.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd buy some DLC. Gonna buy some friday if I can :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
missouried

Post by missouried »

For the folks that have Spyderco in their blood, DLC is just another plus to the collection.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:18 pm
I have no doubt that they would sell. I prefer my steels “in the white”, but I’d take a DLC version of the uncoated one is unobtainium.

Yep, and thats the whole point. Unless they rerun Cruwear and Rex45 sprints in DLC, they technically are unobtanium until a dealer decides to do an exclusive in a different color scale. But if Spyderco does a "re-sprint" in DLC for all of these, we can get them all at once without waiting. Some people prefer DLC and some are indifferent and would still buy for the steel. The ones who hate DLC wouldn't be affected because they can't rerun in satin anyways. 100% guaranteed they would all sell out.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

steelcity16 wrote:

Hey man im with ya!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

They could always be called "limited" or "special" runs, to (technically) avoid the re-run of sprints.

It would be cool to see "throwback runs". Starting with steels like Elmax, D2, etc., but with micarta scales, instead of G10. One color for all throwback runs, limited to 500 pieces, and numbered on the blade. Pre-order only, sold exclusively through the Spyderco website, with a limit of 1 per household/person. Maybe a 2 year or older rule for the steels; no steel used on a sprint within the previous 2 years would be eligible for use on a throwback. Then, if people wanted more Rex 45, Cruwear, etc., they would have another chance, but 2 years later. There is never a guarantee that any given steel will be made in an exclusive; throwback runs would guarantee another run of every steel.