mid sized "gentleman" folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: mid sized "gentleman" folder

Post by Mushroom »

Like others have said, any of the Chaparrals, Sages, or Mantras would be great options in the Delica size range.

Though it might be smaller than you’re looking for, the Techno 2 would be a really cool gentleman’s folder to try!

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:27 am
Your post just made me realize for the first time: While Stretch, Endura and Delica in HAP40 all came out in the burnt orange frn version, the Pakkawood /HAP40 was only given to the two former...
The Dragonfly was also released in the Pakkawood/HAP40 combo! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I haven't read thru all of the suggestions but if not already mentioned I think you should definitely look at the Advocate. One of the best blade shapes Spyderco offers IMO; thin package; and crisp action.

Blade steel is M4. I live and play in marine environments, use EDCi Formula to treat the steel (previously used Tuf-Glide with excellent results too), and wipe the blade after every use. I do this with all my knives no matter what steel so no big deal to me. Never had problem with corrosion. Caveat - even though I live by salt water, the climate is relatively cool and dry almost all year round. Can't speak to M4's corrosion resistance properties in hot humid climates.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Mantra is awesome if you wanna spend the cash it's every bit worth it IMO. I'd also consider the Sliverax but it may be larger than you want.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:37 am
Wartstein wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:00 am
Your post just made me realize for the first time: While Stretch, Endura and Delica in HAP40 all came out in the burnt orange frn version, the Pakkawood /HAP40 was only given to the two former... A Stretch in that version would be (or have been) great, but I guess if ever it will be the upcoming Endela (instead of the Stretch) which we'll see in the Endura-family-sprint-versions. But as far as I can tell a Pakkawood/HAP40 Endela would also be great.
A Pakkawood Chaparral, though highly unlikely...would be the bee's knees of gentleman carry :)
Maybe not so unlikely!! After all the Chap is meant to be THE model to display various handle materials. Though the steel probably will always remain CTS HXP (which is fine imho).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You want a real gentleman’s folder, get a One-Eyed Jack.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 am
Like others have said, any of the Chaparrals, Sages, or Mantras would be great options in the Delica size range.

Though it might be smaller than you’re looking for, the Techno 2 would be a really cool gentleman’s folder to try!

Wartstein wrote:
Your post just made me realize for the first time: While Stretch, Endura and Delica in HAP40 all came out in the burnt orange frn version, the Pakkawood /HAP40 was only given to the two former...
The Dragonfly was also released in the Pakkawood/HAP40 combo! :spyder:
Right, thanks!!
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

Though having a pretty robust blade, I consider the Lil Native my gentleman's knife.
Attachments
55526907_2287679681294627_5221543671920328704_o.jpg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Give the Ikuchi a try it has a surprising amount of cutting power in a very discreet slim package.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

anycal wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 am
I just realized that everything I have that I would consider as a gentleman folder is from Taichung. What up Golden?!

Edit: I take it back ;)

What are your thoughts on the Ikuchi's comp lock? That design looks interesting and unique. I am leaning that way right now. Only slam on it is a few people (utubers) said releasing the comp lock is tough. Not enough of a cut out. What are your thoughts on the knife?
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

I am definitely leaning towards Taichung models.
Mantra 2
Spydiechef
Ikuchi

or a ZT 0450 (SHHHH, do not tell anyone). SMOOOTH action...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The comp lock is just fine the way it is recessed there is no way to accidentally disengage the lock no matter how you handle it.

This in fact is an improvement in the comp lock implementation.

I have had a PM2 Comp-lock disengage on me due to hand placement and being distracted by my boss while cutting material that bound on me. We were prepping for a Hurricane and it is under these conditions which are stressful accidents occur.

This is when either the knife design saves you from a trip to the hospital or the lock does. The heavy use of Choils on the PM2 are the only thing that kept me out of the emergency room that day.

Those Utubers must have very weak little baby fingers to have a problem with it, it is not difficult whatsoever at all.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Cool! That is great to hear. From a pricing perspective, I think that Ikuchi is my target. I do not "need" anything better then S30V, especially on a folder that will not see hard use.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The Ikuchi will take harder use than you might think. I know, I put mine through some heavy double walled cardboard and thought this might be a bit much but it took it without any problems.

I am carrying my Military in M4 toady and Ikuchi, just for fun I put them side by side the Ikuchi has very close to the same amount of cutting edge.

For a light weight slim knife I do not think anyone has designed a better knife with this kind of slicing power.

The only reason I am carrying the Military today is I do have to take down a bunch of cardboard and it is more comfortable to use when processing allot.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:59 pm
I am definitely leaning towards Taichung models.
Mantra 2
Spydiechef
Ikuchi

or a ZT 0450 (SHHHH, do not tell anyone). SMOOOTH action...
I have all three and eventually you will also. :D
The ZT is smooth indeed. I had the 0452cf. Sold it because of the lack of pockettime it got.
anycal

Post by anycal »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:55 pm
What are your thoughts on the Ikuchi's comp lock? That design looks interesting and unique. I am leaning that way right now. Only slam on it is a few people (utubers) said releasing the comp lock is tough. Not enough of a cut out. What are your thoughts on the knife?
It took a little getting used to, compared to PM2 and Para 3, which I don't have to even think about.

The cutout is fairly small. I guess it probably depends on the size and hardness of your fingertip, and/or how much fingernail sticks out past your tip.

I can now close it reliably and comfortably in one of three ways,
- push my finger tip into the opening - my preferred method
- index fingernail
- middle fingernail

That said, I appreciate the notch's discreteness, and the overall feel and look of the small opening. Hence, gentleman folder.
Last edited by anycal on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peter
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

There’s also a hap40 CF Delica available:

https://www.safeandlockstore.com/knives ... ber-knife/
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

The Spyderco GB Air is, in my estimation, the pinnacle of a gentleman's folder that can also hold up to hard use. However the lack of clip was a deal-killer (for me at least), but if you can rock a slip I can think of no better option. Finding one is a bit tricky however, they've been discontinued for a while and are pretty hot on the secondary market... Oh and it's a little 'un, definitely not mid-sized. But other than all that, perfection!

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=772
~andrew
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Okay I may have to back up a little I just got done cutting up a bunch of cardboard alternating the Ikuchi with my Military in M4 Steel and honestly it was just as comfortable and with that thinness behind the edge it surpasses the Millie in ease of cutting.

Wonder if I can get BBB to thin out my millie?

foofie

Post by foofie »

You seem to carry small and large, but not much in between. How about a rhino? Small, gentlemanly, and definitely not s30v.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

foofie wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 pm
You seem to carry small and large, but not much in between. How about a rhino? Small, gentlemanly, and definitely not s30v.
No sir, I Consider an Ikuchi mid size as I do the Spydiechef, I also carry the Native 5 in M4 DLC AND SALT LC200N both PE and SE Which to me are small.

I carry the Dragon Fly Salt SE Hawkbill which to me is Tiny, Tiny cool little dude slicer from south of heaven.

Dragon Fly SE is Very, Very Small for me, Native is Small, PM3 is small, Ikuchi is medium as are my Stretches & Para Military2.

My many Militaries, Police 3 and 4 as well as my beloved Hundred Pacer are my largest best loved folders.

In the medium category I prefer the Stretch and Ikuchi 👍🏻