Cat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
youmakemehole

Re: Cat

Post by youmakemehole »

delete
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder how the Cat sizes up to the Lil Native? Anyone have pics of them together?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

For my taste a 50/50 choil without serration is a strong strike against the design. Same with thumb ramps: having a thumb ramp or forward finger choil encourages their use to enhance grip, but having the contact areas on the blade be smooth defeats their utility in large part. Even in a gentleman's knife I would prefer the serration/jimping, although I understand the aesthetic of making a gentleman's knife with all polished or brushed surfaces.

Anyone still having blade centering issues with a Cat should convert to hard washers like phosphor bronze, brass, or even nylatron, this will change the character of the lock-up and blade action tremendously.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

youmakemehole wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:10 am

Mine was off center for the longest time too, and perhaps you may improve your situation if you did what I did which was loosen all the screws, then tighten them starting with the 2 non pivot screws.
Many thanks for the advice, youmakeme, I'll definitely give this a try as soon as I track down the pesky torx screwdriver set! Cheers!
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Anytime! feel free to pm me if you need anything else
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

I guess I understand your rationale, but IMO, jimping is always a good thing when done well, and Spyderco does it the best. Maybe it's not required, but I can't see it hurting. Some people don't like it, but for the life of me I can't see a good reason to hate it.

There are lots of other companies putting jimping on knives in the wrong place, or where it offers no real grip. Even worse is the saw like jimping offered by some companies. It shouldn't eat your thumb when done right.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal