dragonfly 2 sprint runs and specials

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rabbitanarchy14

dragonfly 2 sprint runs and specials

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i was looking at the vtoku 2 dragonfly and was wondering if there are any more dragonfly 2 sprints or specials i might want. i have looked for a list and can not seem to find one. any help would be appreciated. i would love a blue handle with m390 or k390 or a cts type steel; bd1n, 204p

dragonfly 2s
hap40 / orange , pakkawood
vtoku 2/ grey blue
zdp189/ british green
Superblue/ grey blue frn
h1 / salt yellow
vg10/ stainless
vg10/ black, pink, orange frn
vg10/ green g10
Last edited by rabbitanarchy14 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Re: dragonfly 2 sprint runs and specials

Post by Wartstein »

I am really no dragonfly-expert and so of no help concerning your actual question, sorry.

But if you think about getting one out of your list, I´d really suggest the HAP40 DF. I have a Stretch and an Endura of this sprint, and absolutely love the steel, but also the burnt orange, very unique color as well as the cladding and the lines on the blade.

I personally only once handled and almost got a Dfly, but eventually chose the Chap FRN over it (and did not regret it). That being said, I am not sure I will be able to resist the upcoming Wharnie Dragonfly ;) ... looks really great.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Adding to my post above: I of course presupposed that you are aware of the models listed on Spydercos homepage? Additional to your list there should be the stainless steel, Salt(also in a hawkbill-blade) , Pakkawood HAP40, and maybe one or two more (have no time to look it up right now)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Currently df2 has only ever been made with Japanese steel. The only sprint that hasn't been mentioned yet was the Superblue steel model with grey/light blueish FRN
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I would kill for a super steel DF2. DLC M4 please, or even a black handled Salt Lc200n DLC.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just got the V-Toku2 DF about a month ago. It's my small carry knife on most days...has even kicked the Chaparral frn aside most of the time. I really enjoy this little knife and the V-Toku2 steel takes a great edge, pretty easy to get back to shaving sharp, and also takes the best patina of any other steel out there imo. If you can get one for under $100 or so, I'd jump on it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:06 am
I would kill for a super steel DF2. DLC M4 please, or even a black handled Salt Lc200n DLC.
ZDP-189 isn't super enough for you?
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:44 am
i was looking at the vtoku 2 dragonfly and was wondering if there are any more dragonfly 2 sprints or specials i might want. i have looked for a list and can not seem to find one. any help would be appreciated. i would love a blue handle with m390 or k390 or a cts type steel; bd1n, 204p

dragonfly 2s
hap40 / orange
vtoku 2/ grey blue
zdp189/ british green
ZDP-189 Nishijin is my favorite. I like it so much I have 2, but I bought them before the prices took off. They seem to be $200+ now.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I doubt the G10 Dfly will be around much longer. G10 out of Seki is just too expensive for some reason.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:06 am

Man, I am right there with you. I've been begging for a blacked out Dfly Salt since I joined here. LC200N would great, but I actually really like H1 PE so that would be more than ok with me as well! Either one is an instabuy for me!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

OP, those steels sound great - although exporting them to Japan and training the makers to use them would make the model considerably more expensive. Japanese steels don't always have exact equivalents to US or European steel grades, as they have slightly different philosophies of steel design and blade culture.

Have you tried the HAP40? It's close to a 'Japanese CPM M4'.

The serrated H1 Dragonfly is a beast. Like that old line in The Sopranos 'it has tremendous moxie for it's size'. I agree, an LC200N Salt Dragonfly would be very cool though.

In terms of stainlesses, ZDP-189 outclasses most of those steels you mentioned IMHO - it's a really superb steel, takes a super fine edge too. It's at the lower end of stainless corrosion resistance though, if that's an issue for you.

DLC coating in a Japanese made Spyderco is unlikely - they tend to use Titanium Carbo-nitride coating. Michael Janich wrote on this recently.

K390 may be a distinct possibility as there may already be some steel stock held in Seki, which was shipped over for the Police run.

Have you used any of the Dragonfly models? It's such a great knife, one of Sal's greatest designs I reckon. Combining all the different steel variants, it's easily my most used Spyderco model. It's the only model that I've chased up all the different steel variants of too (except V-Toku2, which doesn't offer anything over the Superblue version, to me).

Considering how much work our ancestors were able to do with a small leaf shaped piece of super sharp flint, I kind of think of the Dragonfly as the ultimate evolution of that size and shape of blade.
Last edited by Cambertree on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

K390 Dragonfly for the win!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:22 pm
K390 Dragonfly for the win!

Yeah, honestly, as much as I'd like to see a run of solid SRS-15 sprints, I'd think K390 is the logical next steel for the full Seki sprint series. It gets a lot of love here. I'm game as I've never tried K390. Id buy a solid K390 Dfly for sure, especially with a Navy blue FRN handle. Offer it in TiCN coated as well and Ill buy both!

To all the steel junkies, what are the closest domestic USA-produced steel equivalents to:

ZDP-189
K390
Hap40
VG10
Super Blue
Super Gold
V-Toku
SRS-15
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 pm

Yeah, honestly, as much as I'd like to see a run of solid SRS-15 sprints, I'd think K390 is the logical next steel for the full Seki sprint series. It gets a lot of love here. I'm game as I've never tried K390. Id buy a solid K390 Dfly for sure, especially with a Navy blue FRN handle. Offer it in TiCN coated as well and Ill buy both!

To all the steel junkies, what are the closest domestic USA-produced steel equivalents to:

ZDP-189
K390
Hap40
VG10
Super Blue
Super Gold
V-Toku
SRS-15
Yeah, I hope the hints Sal has been dropping relate to plans for a Seki sprint line in K390. Although at this point, I'd happily buy any new model in that steel.

These are rough equivalents. Others might disagree...

ZDP-189 - This is a fairly unique steel composition. It used to be compared to S90V in terms of wear resistance, although the composition is quite different, of course. I'd conjecture that the specific heat treatment that Hitachi require to be done in Japan is some sort of deep cryo process. It's also worth noting that it's one of the few PM stainlesses which was developed as a bladesteel, if I'm not mistaken.

K390 - Similar to CPM 10V and CTS A11.

Hap40 - CPM M4.

VG10 - no real US equivalent I'm aware of. N690Co is European. If you really wanted to compare it to something in the US, you might say it's like an improved 154CM. Another bladesteel specific design.

Super Blue - no real US equivalent, maybe the closest thing would be one of the old F series 'Finishing' steels, which are no longer made, like F2. Made for high performance kitchen knives.

Super Gold - No real US equivalent. Maybe closest to a slightly less alloyed, tougher CPM S30V?

V-Toku - I'm guessing you mean V-Toku2? I'd say it's most similar to O1.

SRS-15 - As Shawn (Deadboxhero) said, it's like a stainless Cruwear.

(There's also an interesting group of Japanese matrix high speed steels like MDS9 and DC53 which are kind of like Bohler's Sleipnir steel. They might be interesting in larger folders or fixed blades.)
Last edited by Cambertree on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:28 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 pm

ZDP-189
K390
Hap40
VG10
Super Blue
Super Gold
V-Toku
SRS-15
Yeah, I hope the hints Sal has been dropping relate to plans for a Seki sprint line in K390. Although at this point, I'd happily buy any new model in that steel.

These are rough equivalents. Others might disagree...

ZDP-189 - This is a fairly unique steel composition. It used to be compared to S90V in terms of wear resistance, although the composition is quite different, of course. I'd conjecture that the specific heat treatment that Hitachi require to be done in Japan is some sort of deep cryo process. It's also worth noting that it's one of the few PM stainlesses which was developed as a bladesteel, if I'm not mistaken.

K390 - Similar to CPM 10V and CTS A11.

Hap40 - CPM M4.

VG10 - no real US equivalent I'm aware of. N690Co is European. If you really wanted to compare it to something in the US, you might say it's like an improved 154CM. Another bladesteel specific design.

Super Blue - no real US equivalent, maybe the closest thing would be one of the old F series 'Finishing' steels, which are no longer made, like F2. Made for high performance kitchen knives.

Super Gold - No real US equivalent. Maybe closest to a slightly less alloyed, tougher CPM S30V?

V-Toku - I'm guessing you mean V-Toku2? I'd say it's most similar to O1.

SRS-15 - As Shawn (Deadboxhero) said, it's like a stainless Cruwear.

(There's also an interesting group of Japanese matrix high speed steels like MDS9 and DRM3 which are kind of like Bohler's Sleipnir steel. They might be interesting in larger folders or fixed blades.)

Thanks for the explanation! I've seen Hap40 compared to Rex45 quite a bit as well. And if there is a Japanese equivalent of Sleipner as you say and we can get it in unclad blades I would really love to see some sprints in whatever that may be.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ehhhh, I wouldn't say Hap40 and Rex45 are equivalent. In my personal use, Rex45 outperforms Hap40 in wear resistance and edge retention. I've used both quite a bit, while cutting rope and cardboard. Rex45 blew me away last fall helping my friend on his farm.

-Rick
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

White steel would be really interesting but i've heard that the supply isn't really that viable right now.
Super gold hasn't appeared on the.dfly, maybe massdrop could fix that.
K390 needs to be a thing!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I think I will be trying the vtoku2. I would love a k390 in Blu or red. As well.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:51 pm
Ehhhh, I wouldn't say Hap40 and Rex45 are equivalent. In my personal use, Rex45 outperforms Hap40 in wear resistance and edge retention. I've used both quite a bit, while cutting rope and cardboard. Rex45 blew me away last fall helping my friend on his farm.

From what I recall the compositions of Rex45 and Hap40 are actually VERY similar, but the heat treats Spyderco used on the two steels were different enough that Rex45 "performed" better than Hap40 in the eyes of most users.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:10 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:51 pm

From what I recall the compositions of Rex45 and Hap40 are actually VERY similar, but the heat treats Spyderco used on the two steels were different enough that Rex45 "performed" better than Hap40 in the eyes of most users.
Yea I never looked at the compositions...just going by how they perform while using them. I should have worded my post a bit differently to clarify that.

-Rick