Shaman thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Shaman thoughts

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Certified Shaman fanboy here:

I too noticed the hint of sharpness on the handle corners grabbing the inside of my hand during certain grips, but 30 seconds with some 1000-grit sandpaper and a light touch was all it needed to knock it back.

Aside from that, the Shaman is pretty much the only Spydie I'd consider using for hours at a time without gloves. The ergos are fantastic on virtually all Spydies, but the handle on the Shaman feels especially friendly.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:47 pm

Amazing! Thank you! No, I never had.

I never knew or thought about opening a compression lock knife this way, but I pulled out a PM2 as soon as I read your post, and by golly I was able to manage this the first time without fumbling or extensive practice. It is pretty slick.

So, I can see how the blade piece (there must be a name for it) on the Shaman would make you crazy if you have an itch to use this method.

I carry so many different knives and am changing what I carry all the time, so I stick with the reliable method of pushing the blade open with my thumb on the Spyderco Hole. It always works, and there is something to be said for making a habit out of one thing that always works.

But thanks for bringing this to my attention. It is straightforward and simple.
Awesome!! I feel happy inside knowing I was able to add a little value to all your compression lock knives in a way, sorta. :D
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
NortonT

Post by NortonT »

Looking for a set of shaman liners. I purchased a shaman and the person sent another completed kinife with black blade. All the parts I need to make another knife. The issue is appearently he messed up the pivot hole on one of the liners. Not sure if he wasn't aware of the D shape or why he did to it. Does anyone have shaman liners or know where to get any? Spyderco says they don't sell that part. I love the Shaman! :usflag God bless everyone! :bug-red-white
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear NortonT:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:06 pm
Ive never had a problem opening the shaman via the lock. Maybe I've just got skinny fingers.
I have modded more access and it’s delightful afterwards. Some of us have sausage fingers
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

NortonT wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:38 am
Looking for a set of shaman liners. I purchased a shaman and the person sent another completed kinife with black blade. All the parts I need to make another knife. The issue is appearently he messed up the pivot hole on one of the liners. Not sure if he wasn't aware of the D shape or why he did to it. Does anyone have shaman liners or know where to get any? Spyderco says they don't sell that part. I love the Shaman! :usflag God bless everyone! :bug-red-white
YouTube might be your friend in repairing the existing liner. I would see if I could build up the missing area with epoxy or tack on some added metal then shape to size.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:55 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Ive never had a problem opening the shaman via the lock. Maybe I've just got skinny fingers.
I have modded more access and it’s delightful afterwards. Some of us have sausage fingers
:grin-smiling-eyes :index-finger glad it's working for you now.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:49 am
Fireman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:55 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
:grin-smiling-eyes :index-finger glad it's working for you now.
The issue for my fat fingers was to make the scales lock access less convex but still maintaining its rounded smooth feeling on the scale. I love modding knives. Makes them so much cheaper for the next guy 😂
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:47 am
..... I love modding knives. Makes them so much cheaper for the next guy 😂
💯😆 no no, it's "custom".

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:39 am
Fireman wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:47 am
..... I love modding knives. Makes them so much cheaper for the next guy 😂
💯😆 no no, it's "custom".
Dude this my exact problem with spydercos too! I love modding them and after I’ve used them for awhile and sell them for some other Spyderco, I’ve lost hella money lol
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

NortonT wrote:
I would just try and get the right size bit and ream out the pivot hole so it’s round instead of D shaped. Should still fit together fine.
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I dislike the shaman because it is entirely dependent on the choil to be comfortable in my hand. It feels awkward when held behind the choil.

This is why I am so looking forward to the Bodacious.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

NortonT wrote:
Late answer, but if it's NOT the lockside liner that is damaged, you could get some LynchNW scales. I believe they only use the lockside liner.

In fact I think the lockside scale pivot hole might be D shaped. May be worth emailing Casey at LynchNW and asking. Tell him your liner is jacked up.