Favorite Steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Favorite Steels

Post by Albatross »

What are your top steel choices and why? Do you prefer certain steels in one model over another? Why has almost everyone gone crazy for Cruwear?

My favorites, in no particular order, are S90V, 204P, V-toku2, Rex 45, LC200N, and VG10. The combos I have are my personal favorites, but I would prefer the last 2 in another model.

I have an S90V Manix 2 LW, and fell in love with the LW and S90V because of that very knife. For me, it sharpens really easily and takes a great edge. It's got a toothy aggression to it that I love.

The 204P PM2 has sweet green scales and a decent steel. When sharpening, it feels like a lower hardness than it is, and I always get great results. It seems to strop back to shaving sharp, with minimal effort.

Recently, I caved and got a V-toku2 Stretch 2 and Rex 45 Military(we'll get to that in a minute). The Stretch is a great knife, but it also seems like the perfect candidate for V-toku2. The steel had impressed me so far, with it's edge holding and sharpening. For a knife that fits the worker role in my arsenal, this steel is a no-brainer. Sal, this would be a great knife and steel combo to add to regular production. Of course, I'm sure 30 other people will have 30 other ideas about this. I'm looking at you, Cruwear crowd.

The Rex 45 Military is my first experience with the model and the steel. Going from a PM2(which is still my overall favorite), to the Military, is like going from pants you wore in high school, to your current "dad pants"; all of a sudden, there's breathing room. The steel takes a killer edge and it's retention is wonderful.

I caved a while back, giving into peer pressure that was not directed at me, and bought a Native Salt. It's too small for my hand, but the blade is perfect. It's one of those knives I make work for me, despite size issues(similar to the Delica). LC200N quickly made it's way into my top steel list. It sharpens and strops easily. The rust-proof feature is excellent peace of mind. I would rather have this steel in a larger knife. Something like the Native Chief(when available), PM2, or Pacific Salt.

The Delica in VG10 is a classic, I'm very familiar with both the model and the steel. VG10 is kind of like the best friend you've had your whole life; he might not be the most interesting, but he's never let you down. VG10 is a beautifully balanced steel, that needs no explanation. I would prefer this steel in a larger knife, but since the Delica's blade is so useful, I can't complain.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Favorite Steels

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I am having to rethink this even as you have discovered some steels are just perfect for certain knives for varying reasons.

I used to Love S30V and S35VN until I had some serious pitting and rust followed by a tip breaking off of a Para3 under conditions that it should not have happened under.

Recently like in the last two days after receiving the Ikuchi in S30V I am back to liking S30V again.

Steels I do not have any doubt in and like in all knives and all edges are as follows:

VG10
CTS-XHP
LC200N
M4

S30V is a good choice for the Ikuchi but I think CTS-XHP would have been a far better choice.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i agree i think the para 3 should have been xhp. i want to try maxamet in like a para 3 or native 5. think maybe a dragonfly in maxamet.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

K390 on the P4 kinda blew my mind. I've never used another steel that retains such a high level of sharpness like this, and is a true pleasure to use and sharpen.

Rex45 was a nice surprise. At least as good as M4 if not better in my experience so far.

M4 is still my baseline. BHQ has done a wonderful thing. I'm hoping the series continues and eventually makes it's way into the Chief and Lil Native back lock, as well as the FRN/FRCP and new light weight models.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Last edited by steelcity16 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I could be happy with only Cruwear and Salts in PE LC200N and SE H1. I am happy to own and try out many others though. Hoping to see a folder with CPM-3V this year. More CPM-4V, Rex-45, and 52100 would be great as well. Also hoping to see an unclad Cruwear-like steel in the Seki models soon. I've heard SRS-15 mentioned as fitting this bill. A new Endela in this steel would be fantastic!

CRUWEAR NATION!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

H1 for being very tough, rust proof, easy to sharpen.

K390 for holding high sharpness very long and being easy to sharpen for the level of edge retention offered.

VG10 as a well balanced steel that works great for a user.

A2 for medium and large fixed blades. It's as tough as I need, inexpensive, sharpens nicely and compared to 1095 it'll hold an edge longer and resist corrosion better.
:unicorn
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

52100 for it's ease in getting razor sharp ;)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

204p& family, 52100,10V, K390
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Cruwear for non-stainless
CTS-XHP for stainless
LC200N for super stainless

In Japanese steels, I am liking HAP40 and Vtoku2, at least in laminated form.

I'm looking forward to trying BD1N in the Para 3 LW, it sounds promising.

S30V is certainly a decent steel, but I'll only get it in models I want for other reasons, and it’s the only option. Personally, I'd like to see CTS-XHP replace it as the standard stainless in Golden and Taichung knives. That doesn’t seem likely at this point, but who knows what other new steel may come along, with all the right qualities (including cost & availability) to replace S30V?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This topic comes up often but it still never gets old or boring to talk about. I really don't have just one particular favorite even though there are a couple I like extremely well and one being M390. And I'm in no way saying that Bohler Uddeholm M390 is the best of the best. But for me and using it in my main EDC it works like a dream. Now let's get something straight>> what I like for plain edges doesn't necessarily translate into being a great blade steel for Spyderedges. Take the old 440V ( S60V) >> it was never really regarded as a paramount blade steel but for me it's always been a great blade steel for Spyderedges. I can name at least a dozen steels that are better for plain edges. But for serrated/Spyderedges I really like 440V, ATS-55 and VG-10.

Now the interesting thing I've experienced with VG-10 is that it is a great blade steel for plain edges and serrated/Spyderedges both. Which there are very few blade steels I find that perform really well for both edge types. For plain edges I don't regard VG-10 as a premium-supersteel at all but I do use a lot of Spyderco knives with VG-10 and it performs well enough that I doubt if I ever trade or sell of the ones I use a lot with VG-10.

CTS-XHP is another steel I really like and it seems to be great for SE & PE both. Now we also have the category of the nitrogen based steels and the frontrunners are H-1 and LC200N. H-1 is without a doubt a great blade steel for Spyderedges but has a lot to be desired for plain edge.

Bottom Line: If it works good for you then by all means stick with it. And don' t automatically pass on one of the older blade steels because I've still found ATS-55 and AUS-8 both to be great for both edge types >> no they aren't supersteels but they aren't bad either.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

There are so many! :)

One of my favorites is CPM REX 45. It has great edge strength and can withstand a lot of abuse.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maxamet. K390. CTS-204p.
semfi1345

Post by semfi1345 »

Cruwear. It's virtually the only non-stainless steel that I can carry in my neck of the woods (very hot, humid, long summers) for some reason, and its edge retention and toughness is ridiculously awesome. Really wish it was used more.
SPY-27 and CPM-Cruwear are peak performance...for me.
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

CPM M4 is my reference steel right now for all around edge, toughness, ease of sharpening.
I just recently got something in Cru-wear and am so far impressed with it as an all around good steel.
Pretty hard to beat Maxamet in working edge retention although I certainly find it harder to sharpen than those other two.

I'd like to try something in K390 but so far it isn't in a model I'm drawn to.

These threads keep popping up and I find the varied responses very interesting.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

So today cut the cords from a mouse and a keyboard with Ikuchi, once again S30V falls on its face requiring serious resharpening.

Honestly VG-10 is better and I will never spend money on another S30V again.

Why is Spyderco wasting great designs on a clearly inferior steel?
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Acquiring different steels to play with is my main rationale for buying new knives.

Looking over my Spydies, they're all excellent steels, but I'd say these are the ones that I get the most enjoyment in sharpening and use out of:

(In no particular order)

K390
Cruwear
ZDP189
CPM M4
Maxamet
HAP40

Honourable mentions to Superblue and 52100.

Most of my core 'work knives' kit are HAP40 (Stretch 1, Wharncliffe Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, Manbug).

Knives that to me are a perfect marriage of steel type and design: Police 4, K390 Urban, HAP40 Wharncliffe Delica and Stretch, and the Cruwear Manix 2, and Paramilitary 2. Also the ZDP189 Dragonfly.

Steels I haven't tried yet, but which will probably end up in my favourites, judging from peoples descriptions and reviews who seem to have similar tastes in steel types to me: REX45, and LC200N.

(I know the lefty models aren't great sellers, but I wish Spyderco would include them in one of the Military series sprintruns. Man, I'd love a lefty Millie in REX45.)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Other than folders cutting mundane everyday stuff that doesn’t allow me to see the true potential in any steel, the knives I put to use most with purpose are a H1 PE HB Tasman for cleaning fish and a S90V Sprig to fillet them. Although at different ends of the steel scale they both perform exceptional well for me and are two knives I wouldn’t be without so fair to call those two blade steels favourites. That may change however now I have a LC200N Waterway.

As far as an all time favourite steel? To me it’s a bit like asking what’s your favourite food? All I know with certainty is, it wouldn’t be my favourite for long if I had to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

An other favourite knife I wouldn’t be without, that’s seen much use over a decade or more is my Roselli Hunter with Krupp W75 carbon steel blade so I s’pose that’s a favourite blade steel too.

I think for a steel to become a favourite it needs to be married to the right knife and used for its intended purpose more than anything else.

Just my $AU0.02c worth. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

M4, Rex45, K390 -- if you just gotta have stainless, then 20CV or CTS204P.

I hope we haven't seen the last of Rex45!!

As far as S30V -- it continues to rise in my estimation -- but I would rather have 20CV in the world of stainless.

And we can't forget 52100 - there is a steel that has been good to me.

Why you ask. It is all about the edge and sharpening. 52100 just sharpens so nicely. M4 takes a great edge and seems to put up with anything. K390 (which I view as PMA11 with a tweak or two) just never needs to be sharpened. Ever. As near as I can tell.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 pm

As far as an all time favourite steel? To me it’s a bit like asking what’s your favourite food? All I know with certainty is, it wouldn’t be my favourite for long if I had to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

Well put Alex. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"