Pocket Clip Sizing/Compatibility Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
youmakemehole

Pocket Clip Sizing/Compatibility Info

Post by youmakemehole »

Apologies for the misleading title if you had came here hoping you would finally be able to figure out if that deep carry clip is going to fit your obscure 1980's Spyderco nobody has ever heard of... Although, I am willing to see it thru that this thread may eventually live up to its title, given I have enough enthusiasm and feedback coming back my way to construct an end all be all reference source to all things pocket clippy.

The much less ambitious issue I would like to resolve here is to find out whether or not the clip pattern on the Autonomy 2 is the same as the Tenacious/Ambitious/Persistence/Resilience? From just eyeing it out they seem fairly similar.

If any of you would like to help me compile together a list of clip sizes and the knives that are compatible with them, feel free to send me info, I will check back regularly and update with anything new I see. I'll start it off just to see if maybe it could get things rolling. Thanks in advance to whomever is able to answer my question and also anybody contributing to the list. Feel free to correct any mistakes I've made and don't hesitate to offer any suggestions.

3 screw pattern 1
Paramilitary 2
Para 3
Delica 4[LH]*
Delica SS
Endura 4[LH]
Endura Trainer[LH]
Endura SS
Efficient
Police SS
Police 4
Manix 2
Manix XL
Matriarch 2[LH]
Rescue 3[LH]
Yojimbo
Native 5 G10[LH]
Native 5 CF[LH]
Stretch 2[LH]
Cricket
Harpy
?Dice?
?Domino?

3 screw pattern 2
Benchmade 940**
Dragonfly SS
Rhino
McBee
Caly Jr.

3 screw + center lanyard hole 1
Tenacious
Ambitious
Persistence
Resilience
Polestar
Alcyone
?Autonomy 2?

3 screw + center lanyard hole 2
Military

3 screw + center lanyard hole 3
Native 5 LW
Lil Native Backlock
?Chinook?
?Lil Temperance?

1 screw wire clip
Autonomy 1
Manix 2 LW
Dragonfly 2
Chaparral
Cat
Chicago
Urban
Pingo
Positron
Lil Native
Kapara
Sage series
One-eyed Jack
Caly 3
Spydiechef
Techno (1/2)

Other – these have their own separate and unique pocket clip style
Meerkat (3 screw wire clip)
Perrin PPT (1 screw end mounted)
K2
Drunken

* - [LH]: the clip on this particular model normally would have a hole drilled in it to line up with the lanyard tube. Aside from the functionality of the tube, the hole does not affect compatibility in either which way.

** - Not a Spyderco knife
Last edited by youmakemehole on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:04 am, edited 18 times in total.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Tims

Re: Pocket Clip Sizing/Compatibility Info

Post by Tims »

Good idea for a thread. I have a dragonfly SS that shares the same hole pattern as a BM 940, so 3 screw pattern 2.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Polestar and Alcyone should be with the Tenacious family.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Cool thread.

- Endura, Delica and Police come with the Native 5 clip.
- Manix XL and PM/Manix 2 have the same clip.
- Manix 2 LW has a one screw wire clip.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

This is awesome. Thanks for putting it together.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Efficient uses a three hole clip W/O lanyard hole, but not sure which variant.

The Stretch 2 uses a 3 hole W/ lanyard hole, again not sure which (but is not the same as the Resilience, nor Native Salt/ LW).
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

This is deserving of being a sticky or even better, if you are listening Spyderco, can a master compatibility list be generated and posted on your website?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:42 am
The Stretch 2 uses a 3 hole W/ lanyard hole, again not sure which (but is not the same as the Resilience, nor Native Salt/ LW).
yeah, I forgot above: Stretch 2 uses the same clip as Police 4, Native 5 and Endura 4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't checked yet but does anyone know what pattern the Caribbean is using? I really like the Ti clip, it may be my new favorite. Otherwise I really like the clip that the Vallotton used and I really like the finish on the latest Military, the coating they're using seems to hold up far better than the older stuff, it still scratches but hasn't chipped off like paint and it seems more DLC-ish.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Positron uses the 1 screw wire clip.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

You are all very welcome, your simple gestures of appreciation have made it all worthwhile!

I believe the Caribbean has the same 3 hole pattern as the PM2/3's and Delicas etc. Also I wanted to just say that this pattern is used on clips with lanyard holes and also clips without. Whether or not your clip has a hole in it should not affect the compatibility of the clip with knives using the same screw pattern, the only thing is that you will not have a lanyard hole if you don't use a drilled out clip with a knife that requires one. I think itd probably a good idea to further specify which of those models would normally come with those sorts of clips so i'll add notation on end of each model.

I've also ended up ordering a Tenacious style clip for my Autonomy 2. Guess I will find out soon if it fits :cool:
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
ferider

Post by ferider »

youmakemehole wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:12 am
You are all very welcome, your simple gestures of appreciation have made it all worthwhile!

I believe the Caribbean has the same 3 hole pattern as the PM2/3's and Delicas etc. Also I wanted to just say that this pattern is used on clips with lanyard holes and also clips without. Whether or not your clip has a hole in it should not affect the compatibility of the clip with knives using the same screw pattern, the only thing is that you will not have a lanyard hole if you don't use a drilled out clip with a knife that requires one. I think itd probably a good idea to further specify which of those models would normally come with those sorts of clips so i'll add notation on end of each model.

I've also ended up ordering a Tenacious style clip for my Autonomy 2. Guess I will find out soon if it fits :cool:
The Endura has the Native 5 / Police clip, period. The reason being that (lanyard hole or not), it allows access to the Pivot screw for tip down carry, since the Endura/Police pivot screw is slightly raised and adjusted on the clip side. The PM2/3 has a flat pivot screw which can be covered by the clip. Which is OK, since the PM2/3 D-shape of the Pivot is on the clip side, adjustment is done on the other side.

Endura with Lanyard hole:

Endura without Lanyard hole:

And the Native 5 G10 with SS liners:

So please correct your list otherwise it's worthless.

Roland.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Yes, I've added a notation, like I said. Work in progress tends not to be perfect, at least if I'm speaking for myself.

-sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There may be more than one size "hourglass" 3 hole clip. As an example, I would be surprised if the SS Dragonfly and Cricket use the same size clip as the Delica, Endura, 2nd generation Stretch 1, and Stretch 2.

Prior to the introduction of the hourglass clip, there was a multitude of different 3 hole clips. Various lengths, various widths, various hole patterns, and sometimes clips identical in every respect other than screw hole size.

As for the "other" category, IMHO, the best looking Spyderco clip ever was the 3 hole clip on the C27 Jess Horn even though putting a clip on a knife like the C27 was a travesty.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

This should be a part of the Spyderwiki
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:11 am
There may be more than one size "hourglass" 3 hole clip. As an example, I would be surprised if the SS Dragonfly and Cricket use the same size clip as the Delica, Endura, 2nd generation Stretch 1, and Stretch 2.

Prior to the introduction of the hourglass clip, there was a multitude of different 3 hole clips. Various lengths, various widths, various hole patterns, and sometimes clips identical in every respect other than screw hole size.

As for the "other" category, IMHO, the best looking Spyderco clip ever was the 3 hole clip on the C27 Jess Horn even though putting a clip on a knife like the C27 was a travesty.
Hmm.. yeah, some of the ones up there are there just because they looked like they belonged from a picture. It would make sense for Spyderco to want to minimize the number of clip types though, I'd imagine it'd help save on costs as well as other things.

The three holed clip in your pictures – that looks a lot like the Benchmade 940 pattern - its used on the Rhino and Caly Jr as well!

-sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

youmakemehole wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:55 am
The three holed clip in your pictures – that looks a lot like the Benchmade 940 pattern - its used on the Rhino and Caly Jr as well!

Even though photographs appear to show that two clips to have visually similar hole patterns that does not mean they will be interchangeable. Without seeing and measuring the actual clips you have no idea of their relative sizes, or of the diameter of the screws used with them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tims

Post by Tims »

I see the Dragonfly SS has been changed to 3 screw patter 1. I can confirm my SS tattoo model is definately pattern 2, same as bm 940. Maybe they are/were made with both types?
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:38 pm
youmakemehole wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:55 am

Even though photographs appear to show that two clips to have visually similar hole patterns that does not mean they will be interchangeable. Without seeing and measuring the actual clips you have no idea of their relative sizes, or of the diameter of the screws used with them.
Some of those on the list are safe approximations, such as the Matriarch 2, I'm probably at least 95% sure its a match just based off intuition, some are not so safe approximations as well though like you are saying. Some of the ones I am also fairly certain about based off research and hearsay, for instance the Rhino and 940 I know will line up as you can find a handful of sources that would confirm that.

Tims, i probably made a mistake whilst making pervious edits. I'll switch it back, I appreciate your input! Anyone can help to make this the most accurate and comprehensive list that satisfies all the knowledge hungry spydie junkies in here ;)

-sal
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

The Terzuola slipit is one more entry for the other/unique category. Two screw vertical placement. With that stated, I am presently on the hunt for a replacement or compatible pocket clip and screws for a Terzuola slipit.