Pocket Clip Sizing/Compatibility Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Pocket Clip Sizing/Compatibility Info

Post by The Deacon »

youmakemehole wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:03 am
Some of those on the list are safe approximations, such as the Matriarch 2, I'm probably at least 95% sure its a match just based off intuition, some are not so safe approximations as well though like you are saying. Some of the ones I am also fairly certain about based off research and hearsay, for instance the Rhino and 940 I know will line up as you can find a handful of sources that would confirm that.

All I'm saying is that, while some assumptions are safe, some are not. Yes, aside from the clips for the SS version not having a hole to clear the pivot screw, all models that share the Delica 4 handle will use clips of same length, hole pattern, and hole spacing. That same clip "family" is shared by all the models that use the Endura 4 handle, the 2nd generation Stretch 1, the Stretch 2, and a bunch of other models.

Older Spydercos that use 3 screw clips are a whole 'nother ballgame. A number of different hole patterns, hole spacings, hole sizes, and clip lengths were used between the point where the original Worker switched from a two screw clip to a 3 screw clip around 1982 and 2005 when the first of the hourglass clips began appearing on Delica and Endura 4's.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Another vote for making this a sticky.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 am
youmakemehole wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:03 am
Some of those on the list are safe approximations, such as the Matriarch 2, I'm probably at least 95% sure its a match just based off intuition, some are not so safe approximations as well though like you are saying. Some of the ones I am also fairly certain about based off research and hearsay, for instance the Rhino and 940 I know will line up as you can find a handful of sources that would confirm that.

All I'm saying is that, while some assumptions are safe, some are not. Yes, aside from the clips for the SS version not having a hole to clear the pivot screw, all models that share the Delica 4 handle will use clips of same length, hole pattern, and hole spacing. That same clip "family" is shared by all the models that use the Endura 4 handle, the 2nd generation Stretch 1, the Stretch 2, and a bunch of other models.

Older Spydercos that use 3 screw clips are a whole 'nother ballgame. A number of different hole patterns, hole spacings, hole sizes, and clip lengths were used between the point where the original Worker switched from a two screw clip to a 3 screw clip around 1982 and 2005 when the first of the hourglass clips began appearing on Delica and Endura 4's.
Yeah I don't even think I'm going to attempt to even touch the older models, their hole patterns are like you said all over the place. I think the current production has revolved mostly around those commonly found 3 or 4 patterns above, and I didn't even realize how many wire clips were using the same exact sized screw! Knowing what I do now, it really would be great to see some replacement wire clips sold as is in a variety pack or something.I know I have a good handful of folders that would look just dashing in a black or ti wire clip.

Going off on a tangent here, I also find it quite amusing that the Military, which we would consider a very popular flagship model (right?) having its own unique clip pattern. Or at least, I haven't seen anything similar to it as of yet, its like a large lanyard hole centered in the middle of a relatively larger equilateral triangle formed by the 3 screws. Maybe its a pattern from way back that they have not bothered to change? Could make sense as the Military is one of the older models that still see production. It just seems that most of the popular models will use a more generic clip design.

Also - Rhino owners - I got an MXG 940 clip in titanium yesterday in the mail and I will say it is 110% worth every penny! I used to always want to carry it out, but the amount of blade sticking out and the unattractiveness of the clip itself (I really dislike polished silver for some reason) has always stopped me in my tracks. Really looking forward to being able to EDC probably my most favorite "small knife" and really diggin its cool new look. If swapping into a deep carry clip interests any of you out there with a Rhino or similarly clipped knife, be sure to be mindful of the size of the clip - for smaller knives such as the Rhino or Caly Jr. you will want to find the smallest sizes they have available. Any of you want pics feel free to dm me or quote this post.

Thank you all again for your participation! If this does not get stickied, anyone can feel free to take the stuff I have compiled here and copy/paste it anywhere they see fit or anywhere they think it could be more effectively utilized. There wont be any need to ask for permission and credit my name or anything silly like such if anyone feels compelled to share this info! :p
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Another vote for making this a sticky! Any idea whether the Smock clip is compatible with any others?
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

kodai78 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:59 pm
Another vote for making this a sticky! Any idea whether the Smock clip is compatible with any others?
The Smock is 3 screw pattern 1. I had the clip from my efficient on it to check. It works.
Anyone have a clue if the Shaman is compatible with any?
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
bplahn39

Post by bplahn39 »

Just got my Chinook 4 yesterday. Beautiful blade, but **** of a time finding a deep carry pocket. I mistakenly just ordered one for the military, and one for the resilience thinking it was the same pattern. until I just measured the chinook🙄, and my resilience.(don't have a mil, (Sal can't make us wait forever though for that mil 2, with an obvious improvement lol).
According to my micrometer, the two side holes are about .5 apart and the top one is .38 from each of them.
Sooo, in other words, enjoy that one inch of scimitar hilt sticking up on the corner of my jeans pocket, unless I decide to take up milling titanium brickss in my spare time. Funny part is, I don't even want a deep carry clip on my resilience, that's pretty much become a beater knife for my son at this point of my addiction. ( Wouldn't be caught dead with an 8Cr blade in my pocket)🤣
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

has anyone figured out the dice and domino pattern yet. i would like to order the same clip i have on my para 3 for my dice in the mail but dont know if it will fit. thank you for your help.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Bought a Jess Horn while back with no clip. I called Spyderco and they sent me one, only thing was it was the wrong one. Your list is good idea but no Horn, oh well. It makes a good (pocket) knife.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Chokwe is visually 3 screw pattern 1. It's not. I bought a CF clip and the holes don't line up.
jsbautista08

Post by jsbautista08 »

Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum but have been carrying Spyderco knives for at least 11 years. Does anyone know of any deep carry pocket clips out there for the Centofante 3? Hole pattern seems to be closer together than on the Delica 4 and Para 3. Cant seem to find anything compatible on MXG Gear neither. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Can the wire on the Battlestation be replaced with a deep carry version? The screw is relatively far away from the scale end, and the wire goes towards the middle, so there's a big chunk sticking out of the pocket...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I would like us to also work on getting the "1 screw wire clip" list. Broken into a deep-carry, vs non deep-carry.
Also split into lengths, would be nice. :)

Examples. The Manix 2 LW is 1 screw wire, but not deep. In order to switch that to a deep-carry wire. I 'believe' a Spyderco C160P Carpenter Foundry deep-carry clip would work?

Spyderco Kapara is deep-carry wire, but is it the same length, as the Foundry? Is it the same length as the Spydiechef?

So may possibilities. :p
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:23 pm
has anyone figured out the dice and domino pattern yet. i would like to order the same clip i have on my para 3 for my dice in the mail but dont know if it will fit. thank you for your help.
You should be fine putting the Para3 clip which I believe is the same as the PM2 clip on the Dice. The hole position/pattern on the PM2 and Dice is very close but the hole diameter is different between the two clips. The holes in the PM2 clip are .093” for 2-56 screws which are about .085” in diameter. The holes in the Dice/Domino clip are about .080” for the smaller M2 screws which are about .076” in diameter. In order to put the Dice clip on the Para3/PM2 you'd have to open up the holes.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Confirmed! Clip arrived today
The MXG Gear deep carry clip for the Native 5 FRN fits the L'il Native Lockback perfectly! - only caveat is to use the original L'il Native screws, the MXG gear ones are a tad to long.

"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
JMM

Post by JMM »

I've been wondering this for a tic, and this seems to be the place to ask... SHAMAN, what about the Shaman?

I am about to purchase my first (of several I fear) Shaman, and from eyeballing the pictures I've seen, it appears that the Shaman and Tenacious/Resilience line have either identical or very similar clips, and I happen to have a couple Tenacious/Resilience deep carry clips on hand.... can anyone confirm one way or the other about the Shaman clip and if a Tenacious clip will work?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Does anyone know if theres an hourglass clip that will fit the C95 Manix?
:unicorn
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

JMM wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:24 pm
I've been wondering this for a tic, and this seems to be the place to ask... SHAMAN, what about the Shaman?

I am about to purchase my first (of several I fear) Shaman, and from eyeballing the pictures I've seen, it appears that the Shaman and Tenacious/Resilience line have either identical or very similar clips, and I happen to have a couple Tenacious/Resilience deep carry clips on hand.... can anyone confirm one way or the other about the Shaman clip and if a Tenacious clip will work?
Did we ever establish where the Shaman falls in clip world? I know a PM2 deep carry will work w/ 2 screws and MXG makes a deep carry for it specifically but seeing if it shares a pattern with any others.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I just went ahead and purchased one from MXG and it's fantastic, it uses two screws which they provide -- the screws are slightly longer as the design of their clip requires it. I'm very satisfied with their clip, I do think if you used something like a round needle file to ever so slightly widen the holes on a PM2 compatible clip, you could make that work with two screws just fine... I may actually do that here in the next week or so as I have an incoming shaman or two... :)
DaNYBigDogg

Post by DaNYBigDogg »

Sorry to dredge this up, but was there any confirmation that a Shaman Deep Carry Clip would fit an Autonomy 2? TIA!
SpedHelm95B

Post by SpedHelm95B »

Reference the Autonomy 2, Tenacious, and Shaman. The three clips are not interchangeable. The Shaman holes are the most narrow, followed by the Tenacious, and the Autonomy 2 is the widest. I will attempt to attach a photo