Lil native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

Lil native

Post by lonerider1013 »

So, having two and carrying one on most days, I obviously like the Native5. But recently been looking at the lil native. I don't NEED a smaller knife, the native is about the right size, but it might be nice to have some variety and a smaller knife can always be useful especially in more, shall I say, scaredy environs.

Anyone know how durable it is, though? I like the idea of g10 handles but they say no liners. Now my native5's i have already have no liners either, but the frn handles also clearly have reinforcing ridges inside them which make up for it.
I imagine the lil native is plenty sturdy, but what do people who have owned it have to say? Thanks for any input,

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
GiftedMisfit

Re: Lil native

Post by GiftedMisfit »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:05 am
So, having two and carrying one on most days, I obviously like the Native5. But recently been looking at the lil native. I don't NEED a smaller knife, the native is about the right size, but it might be nice to have some variety and a smaller knife can always be useful especially in more, shall I say, scaredy environs.

Anyone know how durable it is, though? I like the idea of g10 handles but they say no liners. Now my native5's i have already have no liners either, but the frn handles also clearly have reinforcing ridges inside them which make up for it.
I imagine the lil native is plenty sturdy, but what do people who have owned it have to say? Thanks for any input,

Lonerider

Pretty sure there are nested liners on the lil native. I dont have it on me. Pretty sure though.

Edit - at least on the comp lock version there is.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

I have a Lil Native compression lock and it definitely has nested stainless steel liners. I have not had it long enough to put it to any hard use, but it is very firm in hand, and should hold up well.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Full nested liners and the Lil Native is stout. If there were a small knife/hard use category, the Lil Native would be the best example Spyderco has made yet. I stopped carrying my PM2 because it just seems unnecessarily large now.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I sold mine because I'm waiting for an exclusive, but it was a well built knife and seemed plenty tough. My one complaint was the lack of jimping. On a small knife where I can't get my whole hand on it the jimping helps those forward fingers stay put. I wpuld love to see them CQI this and add spine and choil jimping. I know many others have expressed this as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:11 pm
I sold mine because I'm waiting for an exclusive, but it was a well built knife and seemed plenty tough. My one complaint was the lack of jimping. On a small knife where I can't get my whole hand on it the jimping helps those forward fingers stay put. I wpuld love to see them CQI this and add spine and choil jimping. I know many others have expressed this as well.
What are you talking about... The Lil Native has jimping on top. EDIT: Ah I realize you may be referring to the lockback version. The comp lock version has jimping on top.

I personally don't think the choil needs jimping, the whole knife locks into the had quite well. I would love some sprints/exclusives.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Yeah like see a Jade lil Native ...I got a black Yo2 don't want another black g10
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

For those who have both, how does the lil Native compare to the Urban (Ignoring the lock/no lock aspect)? I am partial to the hump, but have never used anything in the Native series.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

BigGrove wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:42 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:11 pm
What are you talking about... The Lil Native has jimping on top. EDIT: Ah I realize you may be referring to the lockback version. The comp lock version has jimping on top.

I personally don't think the choil needs jimping, the whole knife locks into the had quite well. I would love some sprints/exclusives.

I guess I meant full spine jimping. The two "jimps" on top don't really count in my eyes. ;)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

There’s no jimping. My back lock is very sturdy and well made.
- best wishes, Jazz.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:07 pm
For those who have both, how does the lil Native compare to the Urban (Ignoring the lock/no lock aspect)? I am partial to the hump, but have never used anything in the Native series.
I think it is a thing you have to experience to know if it suits you. I, for example, like my Para 3, with hump, and my old Lil’ Native without.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation