Best Blade Length for Self Defense; And What Do You Carry For This Purpose

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SamClemens14

Best Blade Length for Self Defense; And What Do You Carry For This Purpose

Post by SamClemens14 »

I’ve read numerous posts on other forums regarding the proper blade length for a self defense knife. Often times I’ve seen responses stating that 3.5-4” is the minimum, and others going as long as 6-7”. If these opinions were to hold any merit, why do you have well renown self defense experts like Craig Douglas, and Michael Janich, designing knives with cerca 3” blades?

I help teach in a system heavily influenced by Filipino martial arts (Kali), which deals very much in knife fighting and self defense, so I have my own opinions, but I was just curious on any thoughts or insights others might have to share.
MichaelScott

Re: Best Blade Length for Self Defense; And What Do You Carry For This Purpose

Post by MichaelScott »

I suppose a Respect would scare the crap out of people in that situation. I don’t carry anything for self defense except a 9mm handgun.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
James Y

Post by James Y »

SamClemens14 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:26 pm
I’ve read numerous posts on other forums regarding the proper blade length for a self defense knife. Often times I’ve seen responses stating that 3.5-4” is the minimum, and others going as long as 6-7”. If these opinions were to hold any merit, why do you have well renown self defense experts like Craig Douglas, and Michael Janich, designing knives with cerca 3” blades?
1) Because in some locales, over 3" blades are illegal to carry.

2) It doesn't always take a 3.5" to 4" minimum blade to stop somebody, *if the user knows what he/she is doing*, and the opportunity presents itself. Ask Michael Janich. Besides that, I personally know of a few instances where people have been fatally injured with 3" or sub-3" blades in actual situations. In one of those situations, the blade was about 2.5" to 2.6" long and did not even lock open (it was a standard, red-handled Swiss Army knife). In another situation, a home invader was killed by a woman alone at home who used a cheap 3"-bladed Gerber folder.

Many people like to speculate on which types of knives, their lengths, locking mechanisms and steel types, are the best for SD. But it's all just speculation, unless they themselves have actual, real-life experience using knives in SD to say that something works or doesn't work. And even then, if something didn't work, it doesn't mean it wouldn't work for somebody else in another situation. Criminals and street people use things like cheap Stanley utility razor knives, with blades much shorter than 3" when fully opened, as weapons.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A Manbug will open your attacker’s carotid artery and preoccupy him so you can get away.

But there’s too much to go wrong that close.

A subcompact 9mm firearm, not a knife, is my self-defense tool of choice. Subject to always-fluctuating situational likelihoods (life is about playing the odds), I’ll either carry a single- or double-stack concealed, or just not carry.

If I’ve read the situation wrongly, I always have a Spydie, usually a sizable one, to pull from my RFP to augment my large frame and scowl. Not optimal but if I can avoid the utterly massive responsibility of carrying a firearm, I will, within reason.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Just to make things clear, are we talking about a folder, or fixed blade? Obviously, if one lives in, or frequents, an area with legal blade length restrictions, that’s going to affect the answer.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

What ever you pick, it won't do you any good if you left it at home because it was too big and you didn't feel like carrying it while you were doing x, y or z. Best is probably as big as you can reasonably carry everyday.

As for why so many 3" knives for SD, if I had to speculate I'd say because 3" is plenty for SD, it's legal in most places, and it's a practical size for EDC.

I carry a number of different Spyderco's (not all at the same time :D ) ranging from 2.8" - 4.4". Delica, Yojimbo2, PM2, Para3, Tasman, Native, Shaman, Police4, etc...

I think the 7" bayonet people are thinking about stabbing lethality, which is not necessary for self defense.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SamClemens14

Post by SamClemens14 »

James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:06 am
SamClemens14 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:26 pm
1) Because in some locales, over 3" blades are illegal to carry.

2) It doesn't always take a 3.5" to 4" minimum blade to stop somebody, *if the user knows what he/she is doing*, and the opportunity presents itself. Ask Michael Janich. Besides that, I personally know of a few instances where people have been fatally injured with 3" or sub-3" blades in actual situations. In one of those situations, the blade was about 2.5" to 2.6" long and did not even lock open (it was a standard, red-handled Swiss Army knife). In another situation, a home invader was killed by a woman alone at home who used a cheap 3"-bladed Gerber folder.

Many people like to speculate on which types of knives, their lengths, locking mechanisms and steel types, are the best for SD. But it's all just speculation, unless they themselves have actual, real-life experience using knives in SD to say that something works or doesn't work. And even then, if something didn't work, it doesn't mean it wouldn't work for somebody else in another situation. Criminals and street people use things like cheap Stanley utility razor knives, with blades much shorter than 3" when fully opened, as weapons.

Jim

Jim,
I agree with most everything you say here, and this is the main reason I wanted to start this conversation. I’m completely on board with the notion that training, what your experienced with, and the situation, are more important than blade length, or many of the features you describe. That’s why I scratch my head when people seem to be stuck on blade length, as the be all/end all determinant for a self defense knife.

We teach a lot about understanding ranges and how to transition from one to the other. I don’t see the advantage of having a 6” blade as opposed to a 3/3.5” if you, god forbid, find yourself committed to within the range of knife fighting.

I also am aware of the 3” law in many states, not to mention New York’s crazy knife laws.

On top of all of that I’m just curious what (mainly folders)
people carry, and what specifically, about that knife makes them choose that knife as an SD knife, above and beyond an EDC knife.

Thanks for the response. Good stuff
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't carry a blade for self defense and every blade i carry is for self defense. i do have a yojimbo that i often carry because i love the design and it's unique and fun to play with. however, as much as i don't want to be in a fight in the first place, the last thing i want to do is introduce a blade into the mix.

i believe in doing everything i can to avoid a fight in the first place. i'm typically good at talking my way out of bad situations when they have happened. in the end, i'd rather be the beta than put my life or my loved ones in danger. it's not my job to humble someone that is looking for a fight for no reason. i don't have anything to prove to anyone, especially some moron i don't know. it's just not worth it.

if i were to use a knife for self defense, it would be a last ditch effort to get someone off of me that i've somehow failed to keep away by other means. at that point, anything sharp and within reach will do the job. anything. from keys to a pen to a df2 to a yojimbo... you get the idea. i'm not trying to kill someone with a knife; just convince them to back up and let me go.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

but since we're talking about self defense blades again... maybe i should re-state my desire for sd focused blades to be made salty for ease of maintenance and reliability.

please make the matriarch (dlc and waved) in h1. it would improve the tip durability and edge retention.
please make the yojimbo (dlc and non-yellow) in lc200n. dlc is nice for stealthy use of knives. maybe people that find themselves in tactical situations would appreciate a dlc option on the yojimbo.

it would be nice for us sweaty dudes (and ladies?) to be able to stick a knife like this in our waistband without worrying about corrosion from sweat or other water sources.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My self defense strategy is really a disengagement and withdrawal strategy. For that purpose, a firearm is vastly superior to a blade. That's because the purpose of the weapon is to create pause and separation. I don't have any real illusions about my ability to use an "EDC" firearm with any precision in genuine self defense situation. I've done enough practice to know that unless I'm engaged in a conflict inside a crowded elevator, my chance of actually disabling my target is somewhere between slim and none. The purpose of a self defense weapon isn't to "take down" a "bad guy". I don't live in an action movie. The purpose of a self defense tool is to get someone who means me (or others) harm to leave me alone.

If I was forced to use a blade in that role, I'd probably go for the biggest, scariest looking one I could, because the whole point is to break contact and withdraw, and psychological factors (intimidation caused by the weapon, or at least reconsideration of aggression caused by the presence of the weapon) are going to be best served by something with an intimidating appearance.

But what do I know? "Fully charged cell phone" is the top item on my "self defense carry" list. :)
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

It takes a great deal of training to use a knife as a weapon. And a lot of athletic ability. If you have to ask, you should be taking a different approach. If you can't carry a firearm, one of the various sprays would be your first choice.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yeah...get a gun. Or better yet, just avoid these situations as much as possible. A knife is a terrible choice for self-defense (from humans) unless you really know how to use it AND you have no other options. And that's assuming they don't have a club or something even more menacing. Club > Knife
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd imagine the biggest you can legally & comfortable carry would make the most sense, but I'm no expert.
MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:35 am
I don’t carry anything for self defense except a 9mm handgun.
Same.

If I were going to carry a knife for self defense I'd choose a fixed blade or waved folder.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:27 am
A Manbug will open your attacker’s carotid artery and preoccupy him so you can get away.

But there’s too much to go wrong that close.

A subcompact firearm, not a knife, is my self-defense tool of choice. Subject to always-fluctuating situational likelihoods (life is about playing the odds), I’ll either carry a single- or double-stack concealed, or just not carry.

If I’ve read the situation wrongly, I always have a Spydie, usually a sizable one, to pull from my RFP to augment my large frame and scowl. Not optimal but if I can avoid the utterly massive responsibility of carrying a firearm, I will, within reason.
May I ask: What means "RFP"?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tangent

Post by tangent »

RFP = Right Front Pocket ??
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:12 pm
If I was forced to use a blade in that role, I'd probably go for
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tangent wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:40 pm
RFP = Right Front Pocket ??
Thanks!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:48 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:12 pm
If I was forced to use a blade in that role, I'd probably go for
Probably not a legal carry everywhere... :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I kinda stick with the mentality that anything on my purpose is for self defense if necessary, so while I don't deliberately carry a SD knife or a knife specifically for SD, if it came down to it and my life were really in danger then whatever I'm carrying will get the job done. I tend to carry larger models so they're usually 3.5+ in blade length. I think what's more important than the model you carry is that you can draw and open it as second nature under stress.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David