CBBL vs Compression Lock: Which Action is More Satisfying When Broken/Dialed In

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SamClemens14

CBBL vs Compression Lock: Which Action is More Satisfying When Broken/Dialed In

Post by SamClemens14 »

Have one of each (Manix 2 and Para 3). Para 3 dropped free and closed, not long after a few dozen flicks out of the box. Manix 2 (G-10 and lightweight) took a couple of weeks before I decided to adjust the pivot. Drops free, smooth as butter now.

Just wanted to start a conversation on which is more satisfying, the free-fall, closing action of the compression lock, or the CBBL?
sal

Re: CBBL vs Compression Lock: Which Action is More Satisfying When Broken/Dialed In

Post by sal »

Hi SamClemens,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
vivi

Re: CBBL vs Compression Lock: Which Action is More Satisfying When Broken/Dialed In

Post by vivi »

I like the action of the CBBL better. To me detent based locks often have a slightly jumpier feel when I open and close them. Backlocks and CBBL have a smoother feeling action, even if they do take more effort to open.
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The CBBL has been more consistent in my experience. It can be difficult to dial in the comp lock and keep it that way.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i love both, but the compression lock is slightly more fun to play with. i have a manix 2 lw and yojimbo 2 as my examples.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i do really like my compression locks but i feel the cbbl is more fun and it feel fluid instead of the detent ball scrape. but the cbbl is not offered in something in the size i can carry and like.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Comp lock any day of the week for me. I like the exposed ball lock knives better than the Glock trigger feel of the CBBL, and they also bite the web of my thumb when closing them.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I prefer the compression lock but mostly because it allows for better "packaging". A good example is the Dialex Jr, you couldn't make that knife with a CBBL. This debate for me is more like "Manix 2 vs every other compression lock knife". The CL is far easier to take apart and put back together and will likely be more maintenance free over very long periods of use and wear. CBBL is a great lock but I think the lack of models using it vs all the CL equipped models says it all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Hard question to answer. Partially because they both have a different feel and partly because my older blacked out PM2 has a drastically different detent than my newer Cruwear one. If it were between the older one with its weaker detent, my Manix2 wins hands down but my newer PM2 gives the Manix a run for its money. (My Yo2 lands somewhere in between) For me it depends on the day really but I suspect a backlock lover would prefer a cbbl whereas a framelock or linerlock fan would prefer the action of the compression.

I’ll add that I’m crushing on my Smock these days, compression lock with a button is pretty hard to top!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

CBBL for me, every time.

I think the comp lock is smooth enough--I prefer the CBBL for it's ambidexterity and detent.
SamClemens14

Post by SamClemens14 »

I agree with the better detent of the CBBL. The compression lock feels to be more of a freefall, whereas the CBBL almost seams to be more of a controlled swing that “snaps” closed.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:02 am
CBBL for me, every time.

I think the comp lock is smooth enough--I prefer the CBBL for it's ambidexterity and detent.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. CBBL for me.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you are a user, the CBBL is the best. If you are someone who like to play with their knives while watching TV, the Comp Lock might be a good choice. I personally prefer the CBBL, of the two.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

They are both really good. I find the compression lock easier to close than the CBBL, especially when my hands are slippery. Vivi’s point about the CBBL being safer than detent-based locks when closed is a valuable observation. Fortunately I have never had a comp lock open in my pocket, probably because I carry tip up with the blade against the pocket rear seam.
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

I agree that both locks are really good. However, I prefer the compression lock. For me it's easier to close the knife with one hand using a compression lock, and if my hands are full, then that's a definite advantage for me.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

gigem95 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:00 pm
I agree that both locks are really good. However, I prefer the compression lock. For me it's easier to close the knife with one hand using a compression lock, and if my hands are full, then that's a definite advantage for me.
I think that's mostly down to what you are used to. I find it easier to close the Manix 2 one handed than the Para2, but I think that's probably just because I've spent more time with the Manix 2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The one thing I'm not crazy about with the CBBL is I need the butt of the handle to plant and get traction in the palm of my hand in order to get enough pull force to operate the lock. Otherwise I'd have to grip my fingers around the bottom of the handle which puts my fingers in the path of the blade. I don't have this problem with the Compression Lock since I'm just punching a tab. So for example if a knife like the Tatanka had a CBBL I'm not sure how it would operate.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:43 pm
gigem95 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:00 pm
I think that's mostly down to what you are used to. I find it easier to close the Manix 2 one handed than the Para2, but I think that's probably just because I've spent more time with the Manix 2.
I'm not so sure I agree with that Tom. I own 2 Manix 2's and have carried them more than my Para 3's or PM2 lately. I am more used to them, yet I still prefer the compression lock. It's just that my Manix 2 LW is more of a EDC knife, so it gets more pocket time. IMO, the CBBL takes more dexterity with the fingers to close it one handed than the compression lock does.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think I'm going to have to play with them side by side a bit and see if I revise my opinion.

Are you wearing gloves? In winter I find the comp lock tab tricky to hit sometimes, and have a much easier time with the CBBL through gloves.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i agree that it takes more dexterity and it can be more difficult to fold the manix. i think i still prefer it. almost certainly, anyone that is left handed will prefer the cbbl.

the comp lock is only slightly more fun to play with in my opinion, but it's way easier to take apart and clean up. and if you have the manix 2 lw, you don't even have the option to take it apart. i wish spyderco would change this.

for me, it's not that i prefer the one lock over the other as much as it is i prefer the manix 2 over compression lock knives, with the yojimbo being a close second.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C