New Dragonfly and Para 3....family photo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prsman

New Dragonfly and Para 3....family photo

Post by prsman »

After handling each one for a short period of time, I bought em!

4 spyderco knives in one winter...oh my.

The Para 3 seems to be getting the most pocket time, mind you I had a great session yesterday peeling a tough-skinned squash with the chef...what a deadly food prep tool.
Attachments
13F23239-DC81-449F-859D-EED8E8EF0E47.jpeg
52B68644-8F80-4273-B779-E999EBAD113D.jpeg
208C9EBF-20A0-4CB2-ADB2-0172B082F288.jpeg
6DE94A44-DD5C-4459-8736-ED9A30B5D922.jpeg
Wartstein

Re: New Dragonfly and Para 3....family photo

Post by Wartstein »

Nice! :) And as far as I remember its your first 4 Spydies, right?
Would be interested: Among your 2 smallest one, do you prefer the Lil Native or the DF?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prsman

Post by prsman »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:07 pm
Would be interested: Among your 2 smallest one, do you prefer the Lil Native or the DF?
To be honest, the Lil Native is my least fav. A great knife that occupies minimal pocket space, but I must say, the dfly will def get more pocket time.

I handled a tenacious as well last week and I’m kicking myself for not picking that one up. She deployed with ease and was super comfy to hold. Oh well, i’ll survive!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prsman wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:13 pm
Wartstein wrote:
To be honest, the Lil Native is my least fav. A great knife that occupies minimal pocket space, but I must say, the dfly will def get more pocket time.

I handled a tenacious as well last week and I’m kicking myself for not picking that one up. She deployed with ease and was super comfy to hold. Oh well, i’ll survive!
I never handled a Lil Native myself, but a DF, and I think I´d prefer the latter too. Imho a knife that small does not have to be as beefy and "heavy" (compared to the DF ) as the Lil Native.
For me personally both are a little too short when it comes to balde length, I have the Chap FRN as my smallest Spydie.. though, to be honest, the upcoming DF wharnie will be hard to resist... ;)

/ Well... you could pick another Tenacious whenever you like, right?! ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I only have one Dragonfly, the stainless steel version, and I keep telling myself I don't need an FRN one as well.
We'll see how long my resolves lasts!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thunderpants wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:30 pm
I only have one Dragonfly, the stainless steel version, and I keep telling myself I don't need an FRN one as well.
We'll see how long my resolves lasts!
At the longest till the FRN Wharnie will be released, I´d say... ;)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:23 pm
prsman wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I never handled a Lil Native myself, but a DF, and I think I´d prefer the latter too. Imho a knife that small does not have to be as beefy and "heavy" (compared to the DF ) as the Lil Native.
For me personally both are a little too short when it comes to balde length, I have the Chap FRN as my smallest Spydie.. though, to be honest, the upcoming DF wharnie will be hard to resist... ;)

i love my para 3 and my lil native. carry both switching whenever i feel. i do not feel that the lil native is beafy or heavy, i feel that it is solid and i like my knifes like that compared to some i can squeeze the handle together. i do know it doesnt need to be as solid for the size but i like it because of that, feels like a mini para 3, less mini native or df.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Nice little collection! I definitely have to say my para 3 is one of my favorites! Just feels great in hand and is the perfect size! As for the Tenacious, my first Spyderco was a Tenacious. It has seen a lot of pocket time, and still does! Mine is pretty broken in, flicks open with ease, and is so smooth. I did break the tip slightly not long after I got it (over a year ago now!) but I've got it fixed now finally. I've been toying with picking up another, maybe the carbon fiber version, because it's just such a great, usable knife. I also really like my Persistence. Slightly smaller, but just as capable. Not near as nice action wise yet, but she'll break in nicely I believe.

Really like the looks of the spydiechef... It calls to me! Maybe I'll have one one day!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nice little variety you have there! Definitely a good start. If you find yourself enjoying the smaller knives, you should check out the Chaparral frn sometime. I've been carrying my Dragonfly V-Toku2 non stop the past couple weeks since getting it. Grabbed my Chap this morning and easily remembered how I fell in love with this knife. Great to flip flop between the two.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:23 pm
prsman wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

i love my para 3 and my lil native. carry both switching whenever i feel. i do not feel that the lil native is beafy or heavy, i feel that it is solid and i like my knifes like that compared to some i can squeeze the handle together. i do know it doesnt need to be as solid for the size but i like it because of that, feels like a mini para 3, less mini native or df.
I never handled a lil Native, but I am sure it's a nice knife and glad for you that you enjoy it!
Maybe I did not make my point precisely in my previous post: For me personally such a small knife especially does not need a rather thick and beefy blade. But then I am generally preferring thinner blade stock usually.

All just personal preference. To each their own.
JS_KnifeNerd

Post by JS_KnifeNerd »

Maby I'm crazy, but does anyone else think that knives are cute.
Congratulations and enjoy! :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JS_KnifeNerd wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:10 am
Maby I'm crazy, but does anyone else think that knives are cute.
Hi Jeremy, I totally agree in that I also tend to see characteristics in knives, I usually don´t when it comes to other objects of utility...;)

"Cute" is not the first label that comes to my mind though, but sure something like a DFly or Lil Native does look somewhat "cute" to a rather tall and used to bigger blades - guy like me...

/ By the way: How do you like your Chap so far? I must say: I do value mine even more, since I put it to the test lately in a lot of somewhat extended and harder wood- and outdoorwork. For beeing such a short blade it did amazingly well!! And felt easily stout and solid enough for any task.

PS: And I´d say: You won´t find many people on this forum who are NOT a bit crazy... :D