Sand Washed Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sand Washed Blade?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

So while searching fruitlessly for an Ikuchi today I came upon some very attractive “Sand Washed” deep carry clips.

This got me thinking...

I have heard of Stone washed and even owned a few Chris Reece knives that were and loved the finish but what about sand washed?

Has anyone seen or done this?

If so how did it turn out?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Sand Washed Blade?

Ah never mind just realized this would be like sand blasted and bead blasting which would increase likelihood of rust.

Need to go opposite direction and polish my satin Spydercos any good advice how to do this without them turning out looking bad?
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

As you also mention, there can be certain issues with sand blasting but you also touched upon a stone washed finish - why dont you go in that direction?

There are several tutorials on YT but basically its finding some nice stones, put them and the item to be stone washed in a (plastic) container, tighten the lid, wrap the container in a towel and secure the towel(s) with sturdy tape and drop it all in the dryer. Its fairly straight forward - the dangerous part is the missus finding out and/or if the lid/towel unscrews/unravels. There will be **** to pay!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Lol yeah not messing with her drier I already said something about this and the look 👀 I received got me to go buy a harbor freight tumbler.

Where I live in FL everything likes to rust salt is in the air from the Atlantic Ocean.

So I think I may tumble some H1 and LC200N because I love the finish but for the rest polishing is going to be the way to go.

Satin is ok but the grind lines always look so unfinished to me like a step was left out and this in my view makes the knife look cheap.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Maybe 'stone tumbled' is the correct term …

Yes, buying a tumbler is the way ahead. If something messes up SWMBOs appliances, youll be sleeping on the couch!
I like a satin finish on a knife and clip as well.