The Drunken: Amazing Knife, Ruined by its Pocket Clip.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ruudr

Re: The Drunken: Amazing Knife, Ruined by its Pocket Clip.

Post by Ruudr »

^ 👍🏻
BOHAWG

Post by BOHAWG »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm
The Drunken: Amazing Knife, Ruined by its made even better with an aftermarket Pocket Clip.

*for people that carry knives but are afraid of pliers :p
That clip is what the Drunken should have always had! Beautiful
Adgewool

Post by Adgewool »

Pocket clip hack!

I ordered a $15 CRK pocket clip, traced the shape of the mounting end from the original onto the CRK clip then filed it to fit the recess on the drunken and thinned that dace down so the clip sits flush. It’s not PERFECT, but it’s pretty damned good and took about 30 minutes to do without power tools. Strongly recommend. I’m back in love with the drunken!
320FC89C-F264-470F-B495-AC1DB15A2CE8.jpeg
B8A556CB-4859-4C50-B0F0-5D20D3CE9B6D.jpeg
Adgewool

Post by Adgewool »

Pocket clip hack!

I ordered a $15 CRK pocket clip, traced the shape of the mounting end from the original onto the CRK clip then filed it to fit the recess on the drunken and thinned that dace down so the clip sits flush. It’s not PERFECT, but it’s pretty damned good and took about 30 minutes to do without power tools. Strongly recommend. I’m back in love with the drunken!
talesk

Post by talesk »

I have to say, I agree with this thread.

I absolutely love the knife but the numerous issues with the clips design prevent me from carrying it as much as it deserves.

@Sal>>
Will Spyderco be doing a CQI on the drunken to resolve the clip issue?
Will the new clips be available for purchase at the outlet for people with the first run Drunken knives?

many thanks
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

I carried my Drunken last Sunday without a single issue. The clip may not be as good as a deep carry wire clip, but to say that the knife is "ruined" by the clip is a complete exaggeration.
Adgewool

Post by Adgewool »

SSD_777 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:28 pm
I carried my Drunken last Sunday without a single issue. The clip may not be as good as a deep carry wire clip, but to say that the knife is "ruined" by the clip is a complete exaggeration.
I agree with that. I think the “ruined” part that people are talking about is their expectations. A 400 odd dollar knife shouldn’t have a crumby clip. The knife is certainly not RUINED by it though.

My biggest complaint isn’t the fact that it’s tight on the pocket, it’s more about the crappy machining tolerances coupled with the single screw mean that the recess meant to anchor the orientation of the clip, doesn’t, therefore the clip can rotate and scratch the surface/frustrate the crap outta me.
talesk

Post by talesk »

Adgewool wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:14 pm
Pocket clip hack!
Which clip did you use? I think I'll give this a shot
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
In the mail:
Adgewool

Post by Adgewool »

Just the standard sebenza clip. Be careful not to thin it out too much and I recommend against heat coloring the clip as I did since it messed the temper of the metal.
talesk

Post by talesk »

Adgewool wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:30 pm
Just the standard sebenza clip. Be careful not to thin it out too much and I recommend against heat coloring the clip as I did since it messed the temper of the metal.
Clip ordered. Thank you for the great idea
In the mail:
Adgewool

Post by Adgewool »

Good luck!
Adgewool

Post by Adgewool »

Good luck! Be patient with your filing and sneak up on the final fitment!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Adgewool wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:16 pm
Pocket clip hack!

Looks awesome! Is there a way to angle the clip away from the lockbar with this mod to have it sit nicer in the pocket?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Adgewool

Post by Adgewool »

Yeah you just adjust the angle that you orient the clip when you’re shaping the mounting end. That was a big issue for me on the Sebenza 21, but not an issue on the Drunken, and to me, it looked nicer on the lock bar so I kept it there. Tried both ways before locking it down.
Monty

Post by Monty »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm
The Drunken: Amazing Knife, Ruined by its made even better with an aftermarket Pocket Clip.

*for people that carry knives but are afraid of pliers :p
Well it took me a while to find one but after seeing this photo I knew I needed one of these clips. Finally got one and it's pretty freaking epic.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Besides Adam purvis and hacked CRK clips, does anyone else make an aftermarket clip for the drunken?
TrojanDuke

Post by TrojanDuke »

I love this knife but the clip is terrible. Are there any after market clips available?
rivy

Post by rivy »

I guess going through @apurvisblades on Instagram for $100+ is the only option.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have read this thread several times over the past year or so, going back and forth about whether or not to get this knife.

I finally gave in, used my rewards points at my favorite online store and got the Drunken at a reasonable price.

My sample came with even grinds and was sharp out of the box. Ergos work well in my hand. I was amazed at how light it is. I have to agree though that the pocket clip needs improvement, as it is only with conscious effort that I can seat the knife in the pocket even of something as thin as jogging pants.

Nonetheless, I will enjoy the Drunken, and since it is almost Friday night where I live, I will pop open a few cold ones later to celebrate this fine addition to my Spydie fam :)
Attachments
drunken 02.jpg
archangel

Post by archangel »

Congrats! Definitely a handsome knife I'd love to own - if it wasn't so very expensive.

Enjoy your drinks! :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...