Delica Black Blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NDWoods

Delica Black Blade?

Post by NDWoods »

So, still new to Spyderco, I am looking for one I cannot find.

Is there a Delica with black straight edge blade and no red handle?

Silly to some but red would be my absolutely last choice for a knife.
Michael Janich

Re: Delica Black Blade?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear NDWoods:

The Delica 4 Lightweight is available with a black blade, but it is saber ground and partially serrated. If you prefer PlainEdge, the Salt 1--which is basically a Generation 3 Delica--is available with a black PlainEdge blade. H-1's edge holding in PlainEdge is not as good as other steels or H-1 in a serrated edge, however.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’ve never understood the lack of dlc options for the Delica and Endura.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Tims wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:12 am
Could be a matter of cost of production?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Red g10 handle black blade delica is no longer available and just recently sold out; but apparently wouldn't matter anyways.

Don't believe there has been a DLC (diamond like carbon) coating on a delica (?). The above referenced knife w/ red handle and the other referenced current production delica with coated combo edge blade are not DLC coated; they are black titanium carboniteride coated.

I'll have to defer to the experts around here for the particulars between the two coatings, but believe the DLC is the better of the two.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'd love to have one!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Tims

Post by Tims »

Marulaghost wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:48 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:12 am
Could be a matter of cost of production?
I’m sure you’re right mate. I have no idea of sales figures of those models but I would have thought production costs would be recouped with a higher sales price like you see on other dlc models.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Adds $9.75 - seems like they would have an all black FRN plain edge as part of the offerings.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:02 am
Don't believe there has been a DLC (diamond like carbon) coating on a delica (?). The above referenced knife w/ red handle and the other referenced current production delica with coated combo edge blade are not DLC coated; they are black titanium carboniteride coated.

I'll have to defer to the experts around here for the particulars between the two coatings, but believe the DLC is the better of the two.

CG
I can help a bit on that-

Titanium Carbonitride (TICN) is a ceramic coating that's applied in plasma furnaces via physical vapour deposition- Hardness is 1800-2100 Vickers (well beyond the limits of the Rockwell scale- maybe 85HRC?). Works best in thin coatings and reduces surface friction significantly

DLC is diamond-like carbon- so an amorphous coating of a diamond-ish pure carbon coating. Hardness is difficult to judge but it is very high (comporable to TICN for sure). Works well at high temperatures and prevents surface oxidation really effectively

Both coatings can be applied in ways that make them 'matt' or 'shiny'.
Equally they suit some substrates (steels) better than others- some materials will 'take' TiCN better, others DLC.

For the use as a knife coating material, it doesn't matter: we aren't using either material anywhere near it's limits (or indeed to their greatest utility)... The relative durability of either has far more to do with how well prepared the substrate is.

Oh- and one final note: all and any super-hard coatings like this are not forcefields.
They can and do wear off at sharp corners and with use. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

It is also important to understand that not all coatings are available in every country, and the temperatures involved in applying some coatings are incompatible with certain steels, which temper at lower temperatures. In general, Spyderco's US-made knives have DLC coatings, as it is one of the best coatings available here. Japanese and Taiwanese-made knives are TiCN, as that is the best coating readily available there. Exceptions to that rule are the Fred Perrin fixed blades, which have ceramic coatings. Chinese-made Spyderco knives have black oxide coatings.

Stay safe,

Mike
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

I have a nib black blade PE Delica . Not sure of what generation,but has that barrel screw on clip ,black handle ,kinda squared off handle end .

It amyntake some time, but look around you around you may find one .
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

NDWoods wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:13 pm
So, still new to Spyderco, I am looking for one I cannot find.

Is there a Delica with black straight edge blade and no red handle?

Silly to some but red would be my absolutely last choice for a knife.
This might be the closest you’re going to get to a Delica with aa black blade. check it out... https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-del ... blade.html
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:08 am
Dear NDWoods:

The Delica 4 Lightweight is available with a black blade, but it is saber ground and partially serrated. If you prefer PlainEdge, the Salt 1--which is basically a Generation 3 Delica--is available with a black PlainEdge blade. H-1's edge holding in PlainEdge is not as good as other steels or H-1 in a serrated edge, however.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
I have one of the saber ground partially serrated all black Delicas. I took the clip off and pocket carry it daily for work. I like the look of black on black but it definitely shows wear. Especially on the tip and on the part of the blade where it starts to taper.

I picked it up used so I didn’t go out looking for that particular style. I would probably prefer the ffg if given a choice.