ATR2, Shaman, or maybe Caribbean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NHKnives

ATR2, Shaman, or maybe Caribbean?

Post by NHKnives »

Hi all,
I am looking for a hard use knife for outdoors. I am trying to decide between the ATR2 or the Shaman. Is the blade shape of the ATR2 an advantage or disadvantage compared to the Shaman? Then the Carribean with the LC200N steel came to mind and maybe I should go that direction instead...
I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you and have a happy Wednesday!
Sumdumguy

Re: ATR2, Shaman, or maybe Caribbean?

Post by Sumdumguy »

Caribbean, It is the best folding knife Spyderco currently makes.

Size wise, It's not too big or to small. It's the size of the PM2 with the cutting edge of the Military.

The G10 is the perfect pattern for grip, while not being too abrasive on pockets.

LC200N is a wicked steel. Easy to sharpen, takes a super sharp edge and holds it for quite a while.

Here's a link to Lance's video on the subject.
https://youtu.be/DGnOnAtwSNw
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ferider

Post by ferider »

Never tried a Shaman, but have the other two. Wouldn't say the Caribbean is the best knife Spyderco makes :), but it is certainly much better than the ATR2 which really disappointed me last year. The Caribbean has a super build, great steel, lock, etc., if you are considering it, you should certainly try.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Why is ATR2 an option for hard use outdoors? That doesn’t make any sense.

I would consider the Manix 2 along with the Shaman and Carribean. And also consider why not a fixed blade if it’s really hard use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lately I'm really leaning away from choils. My top 3 knives right now don't have them, and instead have large enough handles and more edge length as a result. I think I like that balance better for large or what I'd call average sized knives. Choils are fine on smaller knives but out of the three you've listed only the Caribbean has maximum edge length for the size and I think I prefer that. I was looking at the Shaman in a pic next to a Native and it only has about a half inch more cutting edge for a knife that is an inch and a half longer overall. The Caribbean is a half inch longer overall but has over a half inch more edge. I like the efficiency in that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
NHKnives

Post by NHKnives »

I was under the assumption that the ATR2 was a heavy duty knife, maybe I am mistaken in assuming that, I have never handled one.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:09 am
Lately I'm really leaning away from choils. My top 3 knives right now don't have them, and instead have large enough handles and more edge length as a result. I think I like that balance better for large or what I'd call average sized knives. Choils are fine on smaller knives but out of the three you've listed only the Caribbean has maximum edge length for the size and I think I prefer that. I was looking at the Shaman in a pic next to a Native and it only has about a half inch more cutting edge for a knife that is an inch and a half longer overall. The Caribbean is a half inch longer overall but has over a half inch more edge. I like the efficiency in that.
100% agreement, a choil really isn't that useful on anything but small knives. Even then, my favorite small knife is the Baby Horn
(which is also quite efficient with it's edge)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Don’t have the ATR.

The Shaman is stout and I love mine.

But the Caribbean is just plain brilliant. Take it to any environment and do anything with it that a folder is supposed to do. About as low-maintenance as can be, and it is so easily maintained. Fantastic sharpening response.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

My top 3 Spyderco knives are:
1) Caribbean Leaf
2) Shaman
3) Manix XL

The obvious answer is to get both the Caribbean and Shaman! Caribbean first, though. :D
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:09 am
The biggest difference between the Native and Shaman is in the handle ergonomics. The Shaman may well be Spyderco’s most comfortable knife in extended use, but the handle is only a couple millimeters thicker than a native lightweight. The Shaman is almost identical to the Caribbean or Manix 2 in the pocket.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 am
Caribbean, It is the best folding knife Spyderco currently makes.

Size wise, It's not too big or to small. It's the size of the PM2 with the cutting edge of the Military.

The G10 is the perfect pattern for grip, while not being too abrasive on pockets.

LC200N is a wicked steel. Easy to sharpen, takes a super sharp edge and holds it for quite a while.

Here's a link to Lance's video on the subject.
https://youtu.be/DGnOnAtwSNw
^^This.

Jim
NHKnives

Post by NHKnives »

Thanks for your help! It looks like I should go with the Carribean. I’ll probably get the plain edge leaf blade.
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Great choice! Have fun! :D