Love for the Lil' Matriarch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Love for the Lil' Matriarch?

Post by zhyla »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:24 pm

I’m with dwsc on this one. To know what a knife can do, you have to use it for as many different tasks as possible. I use mine for everything from food prep to construction.
Ever notice your food tastes a little gritty? :)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:14 pm
SF Native wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:24 pm

I’m with dwsc on this one. To know what a knife can do, you have to use it for as many different tasks as possible. I use mine for everything from food prep to construction.
Ever notice your food tastes a little gritty? :)
Little bit woody too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Using a folder for food prep because you want to test it out makes some sense. Otherwise I just don't get it. I may use my folder to open a package in the kitchen but that is usually it.

In my opinion you cannot call yourself a knife nut unless you have experienced quality Japanese kitchen cutlery. Pure performance. Freakin' lasers. Thin convex grinds with 20 degree or less edges. :) The Ferraris of the knife world.

Hopefully the new kitchen knives with Murray Carter will be at that extreme level. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:12 pm
Using a folder for food prep because you want to test it out makes some sense. Otherwise I just don't get it. I may use my folder to open a package in the kitchen but that is usually it.

In my opinion you cannot call yourself a knife nut unless you have experienced quality Japanese kitchen cutlery. Pure performance. Freakin' lasers. Thin convex grinds with 20 degree or less edges. :) The Ferraris of the knife world.

Hopefully the new kitchen knives with Murray Carter will be at that extreme level. :D
If you worked in. Firehouse you’d see it another way . Our kitchen knives are crap, washed in dishwasher then dumped in a drawer full of all sorts of,utensils. The sharpest knife was always in my pocket . There’s a guy or two who keep a nice chef knife locked in their locker ,I always used my daily carry . :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:12 pm

Oh give me a break already, guys, Gals, not just the guy I am quoting whom I agree with in most things, use your folder in the kitchen and clean it like any knife you process food with... or Don’t your choice but you are missing out with that narrow point of view.

In my book a folder is a fixed blade with a built in Scabbard best of all worlds. :)

Unless, unless you are needing a knife for the woods and want to baton with it then get a fixed blade.

If I ever get a bigger kitchen with some actual counter space I will buy some Japanese laser beams until then.... no.

These knives are omniuse give it a shot. A purist of oh this knife for this and this knife for that I am not. A perfect knife is the one you can use for everything.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sorry if that sounded snobby. It was meant to be enthusiastic.

Sure, there are times to use a folder for food prep. We have terrible knives in our kitchen at work too. I may also do it at a diner when I cut up food for my son or at a cookout or maybe while camping/hiking. I have done it at my inlaws house too because they probably haven't sharpened their knives in 30 years.

That said, I still don't understand using a folder in your own kitchen and I still think a knife enthusiast should have a couple high performance kitchen knives in their kitchen simply for the joy of using them. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:20 am
Sorry if that sounded snobby. It was meant to be enthusiastic.

Sure, there are times to use a folder for food prep. We have terrible knives in our kitchen at work too. I may also do it at a diner when I cut up food for my son or at a cookout or maybe while camping/hiking. I have done it at my inlaws house too because they probably haven't sharpened their knives in 30 years.

That said, I still don't understand using a folder in your own kitchen and I still think a knife enthusiast should have a couple high performance kitchen knives in their kitchen simply for the joy of using them. :)
+1
Until I got the K12p I didn’t realise how much easier food prep is with a larger knife.