4 new knives all very dry.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Grjfer

4 new knives all very dry.

Post by Grjfer »

I ordered 4 knives last week, and received them today. Lil Native, Centofante, Meadowlark, and a Cara cara 2. I was surprised to see no evidence of oil on any of them. The pivots are dry as well as the blade steel. As a comparison I received a Delica last week and it was drenched in oil.
Thunderpants

Re: 4 new knives all very dry.

Post by Thunderpants »

Oil ain't 25 cents/gallon any more ya know!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Better than drenched, like my Salt 2’s were, and they’re Salts! :confused: I had to take them apart to get rid of it, or I’d have oil on my hands every time I used them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had them both ways. Some of my Yojimbos came so lubed it was running down the blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I've noticed the most oil on models straight out of Seki. I don't recall seeing it on anything from Golden, but I'm probably wrong. Either way, I have yet to see a hint of corrosion on anything from Spyderco, even HAP40 and V-Toku.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

My new persistence was dry, had to open her up and clean/lube the pivot. Really scratchy. No big deal I don't mind putting a little love into my tools!

My sage 5 seems good though, although she was really tight. After opening and closing many times she still wasn't loosening up, so I backed off the pivot a hair and she's almost free falling with no blade play. Should be good to go soon.

All my other Spydies have been good though.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Weird, I've never received a Spyderco from any factory 'drenched' in oil.
jacala

Post by jacala »

I run all my IPSC Competition Glocks WET (with oil) and I like my Spydies the same.
Of course I refer to the working parts, not the "handles".
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:15 am
I've noticed the most oil on models straight out of Seki. I don't recall seeing it on anything from Golden, but I'm probably wrong. Either way, I have yet to see a hint of corrosion on anything from Spyderco, even HAP40 and V-Toku.
I'm not worried about corrosion, never had an issue with any of my Spydercos in that regard. I do agree with your accessment of Seki city variants as my Delica came with a liberal application of oil. However the Centofante I just got was very dry and extremely stiff. Just to note, the Lil Native, Centofante, Meadowlark, and a Cara cara 2 were ordered direct from Spyderco. The Delica came from an authorized dealer.