What's the best Spyderco EDC Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tumeb

What's the best Spyderco EDC Knife?

Post by tumeb »

So, hello everyone! I've lately started to think about buying a new spyderco knife, as my main edc, but the problem is that i only can afford one, and i really don't know what to choose. I've been spying on a delica 4, chaparral and the new upcoming para 3 lightweight. I mostly use my edc's for cutting plastic packages and cardboard boxes. I would appreciate any help!

Thank You in advance

-Tumeb
rabbitanarchy14

Re: What's the best Spyderco EDC Knife?

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I, as most can only give you our favorites as each knife appeals to different ppl, but my favorites are my para 3 and lil native. i can also suggest a sage 5 or crow 2 in bd1. as far as your choices that you suggest a para 3 lw in bd1n
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Oh god...another one of these threads. Prepare to be mind blown and given 25 options. If you search around a bit, you'll find many threads similar to what you're asking. There is no definitive answer though. That's on you.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Ric

Post by Ric »

I suggest a Para 3 lightweight.

I recommend to go into a knife store and try to hold all in hand.
Then the decision is much easier.

I am also no so much into backlocks and the finger choil gives another option - so I like it.
Maybe you can buy a used one for a better price...
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I vote for the para 3. Mine has become pretty much my favorite all around carry. Usually is between the para or my 0566, but I carry them both usually lol! I have a para 3 lightweight on pre-order though, can't wait to try it.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum tumeb!

You couldn't go wrong with any of the three you mentioned.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tumeb wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:18 pm
So, hello everyone! I've lately started to think about buying a new spyderco knife, as my main edc, but the problem is that i only can afford one, and i really don't know what to choose. I've been spying on a delica 4, chaparral and the new upcoming para 3 lightweight. I mostly use my edc's for cutting plastic packages and cardboard boxes. I would appreciate any help!

Thank You in advance

-Tumeb
If you can wait a few month: I am pretty sure that the upcoming Endela will be the perfect "only-one-not-too-expensive-great-all-around"- knife!! (There are pics in the recent ",Amsterdam"-thread).
Basically a larger Delica, but not as large as the Endura. PERFECT imho.

EDIT: Welcome! ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My idealistic favorite is the C-60 Ayoob model. However with some of the cutting chores I've had the past 3 years I've found my M390 Military fits the bill for this present time.

My runner up favorite for a practical EDC folder would be the Para2 >> especially with a Supersteel blade. But my overall and sentimental favorite is the C-60 Ayoob model and if they ever make one with a Supersteel blade I'll probably start carrying one again.

Now on a utility basis when I'm just looking at it strictly from a basis of "needs" versus what I sentimentally like I would go with the C-44 Dyad.

Truly you can't go wrong with any of them I've mentioned :cool:
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

This is a loaded question, to be sure. For me, an ideal EDC knife is somewhere around 3" long, and is relatively lightweight. My favorite Spydercos that fit that description are the Delica, Tasman Salt, Centofante, UKPK, and Para 3. Be aware that when I carry a Spyderco, I often also carry a *whisper* Kershaw Leek *whisper*...

Lately, the Sliverax (3.5") has worked its way into my pocket more frequently, and I'm looking to try an Endura (~3.75"). Any of the 3 you mentioned would be more than enough knife for just about any EDC need. But you'll find it's a very personal decision to make, and what works best for me may not work as well for you.
HoustonB77

Post by HoustonB77 »

Any of the options listed would be great. A Delica was my first spyderco and it has been all down hill from there.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Spyderco Stretch VG-10
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

All of the ones mentioned would be fantastic. Don't over think it too much, just get the one you like. Certainly, the Delica is nothing short of a legendary, Hall of Fame EDC. I'd go with that as an easy choice, even though my personal pick would probably be the Para 3 LW.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

All Of Three three you mentioned would be great, but if you cut a lot Of cardboard the chaparral would probably be my first choice(Of The Three That is) , good ergos, cts - xhp and a thin slicey blade.
If I had to choose only 1 for myself, right now It would be the military ;)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Caly 3 or ukpk if you're looking to save a few bucks.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Pff... These threads are always hard to answer :o

If someone were to ask me "I need one Spyderco, mid-price range and up for all tasks", I'd say the Manix 2.
Without lightweights or sprint runs in mind, here's a list of traits:
- Good blade steel (CPM S30V)
- Good materials (G10 and stainless liners)
- Skeletonized liners
- Great ergonomics
- Great fit&finish
- Finger choil for choking up on the blade
- Perfect EDC bladeshape (Leafshape)
- Easy bladeshape to sharpen
- Thin enough for slicing but thick enough to be used for tougher jobs
- Solid lockup (caged ball bearing lock)
- Jimping all around, so good in dry/wet conditions with or without gloves
- Chamfered edges, so no sharp angles on the spine or hole
- Adjustable pivot and can be taken apart for maintenance
- Reversible pocket clip
- Large Spydie hole
- Large piped lanyard hole
- Looks good
- No Spydie hump (which some people new to the brand aren't used to and/or don't like)
- Not too pricey for most people

I honestly don't get why this knife is quite uncommon as a Spyderco for people new to the hobby/brand!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Where do you live and what are the legal restrictions there?

My top EDC by jurisdiction (for the ones I spend time in):

Manix 2 LW (Maxamet)
Native LW (Maxamet)
Chaparral CF (the LW is pretty good too, though--I've just had the CF a lot longer, so it gets more pocket time)
UKPK (the new G-10 one looks good if you can get one before they're gone, otherwise I'd look at s110v); or Urban (depending on your length restriction, especially if you can get the k390 version); or SpyDK (if you can't have one handed opening in your jurisdiction)

That's my list of favorite EDCs. I'm sure yours will be different. Good luck, and welcome to the rabbit hole...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my favorites are the manix 2 lw, pacific salt se, and yojimbo 2. however, if i could only carry or suggest one spyderco, it would be the native salt. it’s got similar ergos to the manix that i absolutely love. it’s got corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening, and back lock (all lending to easy maintenance and not a lot of fuss) of the pacific salt. and it’s robust enough and affordable enough that it begs to be used. it also has a blade length that is legal in more areas and a bright color that makes it less intimidating to people and harder to lose. it’s a great edc knife even though it’s not my favorite.

i know i didn’t give any comparison to the yojimbo... the yojimbo is it’s own beast. it’s a beautiful work of art that is designed for self-defense and utility, is fidget friendly, and is just a joy to own. the native salt is more practical for edc though and, as with most sharps, can be used to cut or stab someone should the need arise.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:30 am
tumeb wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Thank You in advance

-Tumeb
If you can wait a few month: I am pretty sure that the upcoming Endela will be the perfect "only-one-not-too-expensive-great-all-around"- knife!! (There are pics in the recent ",Amsterdam"-thread).
Basically a larger Delica, but not as large as the Endura. PERFECT imho.

EDIT: Welcome! ;)
This. If you don't have any reason that you have to keep the blade under 3", the Endela looks perfect.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

If you're willing to go up to a 3.26" blade length you should also take a hard look at the much anticipated Ikuchi. I think it would make a perfect urban/office/gents knife. That should be released within a matter of days.
swknight

Post by swknight »

DutchBlades wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:57 pm
Pff... These threads are always hard to answer :o

If someone were to ask me "I need one Spyderco, mid-price range and up for all tasks", I'd say the Manix 2.
Without lightweights or sprint runs in mind, here's a list of traits:
- Good blade steel (CPM S30V)
- Good materials (G10 and stainless liners)
- Skeletonized liners
- Great ergonomics
- Great fit&finish
- Finger choil for choking up on the blade
- Perfect EDC bladeshape (Leafshape)
- Easy bladeshape to sharpen
- Thin enough for slicing but thick enough to be used for tougher jobs
- Solid lockup (caged ball bearing lock)
- Jimping all around, so good in dry/wet conditions with or without gloves
- Chamfered edges, so no sharp angles on the spine or hole
- Adjustable pivot and can be taken apart for maintenance
- Reversible pocket clip
- Large Spydie hole
- Large piped lanyard hole
- Looks good
- No Spydie hump (which some people new to the brand aren't used to and/or don't like)
- Not too pricey for most people

I honestly don't get why this knife is quite uncommon as a Spyderco for people new to the hobby/brand!
Good post. Agree 100%. And you are the numerous steels that are available. Even include the light weight model and also the different scales for the regular model. The Extra Large model is still another unsung wonderful Manix model...

The crazy Nick guy on YouTube shows you how to take it apart while dropping all the screws too...