Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Post by steelcity16 »

Man, it is a good thing that Cruwear isn't the standard production steel because I would want all of these! I honestly REALLY like ALL of these designs.
The Sage LW and Endela I think are my favorites.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:32 pm
Recap of Wouter's fine work:
Thanks! It's really nice to just scroll through all the new knives so easily now!
And while doing so: I always knew I needed an Endela, but didn't know I needed the Chief and the wharnie DFly... now I do. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Warstein,

I must admit that i share your thoughts and values on edge sizes. When I carry a smaller knife, like Manbug, it's usually backup so I don't have to pull out a larger model in public. m My personal preference is for the FRN P4, but I have to be careful where i carry it and use it.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:15 pm
Thanx Warstein,

I must admit that i share your thoughts and values on edge sizes. When I carry a smaller knife, like Manbug, it's usually backup so I don't have to pull out a larger model in public. m My personal preference is for the FRN P4, but I have to be careful where i carry it and use it.

sal
Hi Sal,

thanx for your reply!

I came to prefer a quite narrow range when it comes to length of the actual edge, and that is between 8 and 9 cm. ( about between 3.1 and 3.5 in inches).
! I am talking solely about my MAIN EDC knives and EDGE length, not blade !
So Stretch 1 and Endura are perfect for me, and the Endela will be also I am sure

Anything noticeable shorter has its limits when it comes to for example minor food prep on the road, or generally in many cutting tests really.

Anything longer gives me personally not really even more benefit and tends to get a little long in the pocket and a little less good for finer tip work and the like.

That's why I always carry Stretch, Endura or PM2, but very rarely my Military, and smaller knives just for special occasions or sometimes as a second knife.

Having said that: The Chief (even more than the Police lw) is a knife, I absolutely must have, despite thinking at the very first glance it would be too long for me... ;)

Still, I dream about a "lil Chief", about 10 to 15 % smaller...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:25 pm
I hate to be in the 'what you really want is...' crowd. So I beg forgiveness if this suggestion is not what you want. Have you tried the Shaman? I figured now that we had the chief, there was a native in every size.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
I hate to be in the 'what you really want is...' crowd. So I beg forgiveness if this suggestion is not what you want. Have you tried the Shaman? I figured now that we had the chief, there was a native in every size.
I see a lil native...
But i don't see a baby native...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Marulaghost wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:51 pm
I see a lil native...
But i don't see a baby native...
:D if they make one, can we call it the Nanonative? :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion and the very nice pic! Admittedly, the one knife I´d really want out of those depicted there, is the standard, S30V, stone washed Shaman.

Still, a "lil`Chief", sized in length like the Shaman, would be a very different knife, similar just in the overall lines and shape, but this is about where the similarities would end imho. Compared to the Shaman, a lil´ Chief would have (respectively the upcoming Chief will have):

- A thinner blade
- A pointier, more splinter picking tip
- a narrower blade
- a slimmer profile in the pocket
- no liners and partly due to that...
- ... probably about not much more than half the weight of the Shaman
- and especially: A backlock! I know that the lil`Native also comes in a comp. lock version (like yours on the pic), but overall for me probably the best feature of the Native is that incredibly well executed backlock. And I prefer backlocks generally anyway (I´d really like to see a Shaman backlock too, actually).

That beeing said: Though a "lil Chief" (about 10 to 15 % smaller than the upcoming chief) could really be very much my kind of knife, I still would like to have a Shaman either. I wrote about this several times already (lastly in the "thoughts on the Shaman"-thread), so I´ll keep it short here: I could handle and test the Shaman twice, and it´s ergos and feel in the hand really blew me away, despite just going by it´s specs it is not exactly what I prefer normally (I also liked how good of a slicer it is despite the thick blade. The height of the blade makes up for the thickness and for a still very good slicing geometry).
And I hope we´ll really see a Micarta Shaman in the future... Shaman and Micarta is the perfect combination imho, I am just hoping the blade will still be stonewashed.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

👍That makes sense Wartstein. Slim and lightweight is appealing. Backlocks too!

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The chief looks like a truly fantastic model. It reminds me that I need to get a native in G10 sometime. (more damasteel? :D )
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!