Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Post by Wartstein »

spyderwolf wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:54 am
ol_lukey wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:22 am
I threw my wallet at my computer when i saw the endela. looks to be the perfect size and the little bit of extra belly will be nice as well. I'll take 8
Me too!Look like my dream knife finally arrived.I just hope they'll have colors,so i can justify buying way more than i need :)
[Just realized: This is my thousandst post on this forum... :) ]

I also think the Endela has the perfect size. And I also hope for colors, I want a blue one.. :)

Only very minor disappointment: Much like on the Delica (and other than on the Endura), the blade does not really extend to the end of the handle when the knife is closed (see the video at aboout 0:20 minutes) So there is "wasted space" and the blade could be longer while keeping the exact same closed size. OR the knife could be made shorter when closed and so shorter when carried, while keeping the blade length as it is.

I guess reason is to stay withing certain blade length limits, so that the Endela is legal to carry in more areas, and I fully understand that! Still, I personally would have wished for a blade as long as possible (or, alternatively, for a shorter overall knife). Maybe, just maybe, they´ll go that way in the final production version-- ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That’s not wasted space, bro. The ricasso on this series is perfect. You can put a finger there just like a choil, you can let it drop on your finger safely to close one handed, and I definitely prefer them that way.

Oops, I misunderstood you. :o :p I see what you mean, but still, a little more handle feels good. You can move around on it. I hold my Delica wharnie all kinds of ways at work.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:47 am
That’s not wasted space, bro. The ricasso on this series is perfect. You can put a finger there just like a choil, you can let it drop on your finger safely to close one handed, and I definitely prefer them that way.

Oops, I misunderstood you. :o :p I see what you mean, but still, a little more handle feels good. You can move around on it. I hold my Delica wharnie all kinds of ways at work.
yeah, seems you misunderstood me initially or I did not make my point clearly.. ;) The more so, as I am always emphasizing, that the Endura-/Delica Ricasso can be used with no problem almost like a regular choil. I do this all the time, it is not uncomfortable or feeling unsafe (as you finger even is not really pushing upwards on the Ricasso when cutting but pushing back at the front side of the "guard" on the front side of the handle).
And the Delica-/Endura - Ricasso has an advantage over a 50/50 choil in that your hand is placed closer to the edge when you hold the knife in a regular (not choked up) grip.

What I meant and you perfectly understood eventually is that the blade could be longer overall (while KEEPING the Ricasso) cause the handle offered the space for that when the blade is folded inside of it. And you´re totally right: A little more handle feels good! BUT: Still that "good feeling handle" could house a longer blade... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I could like the Endela as well.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Warstein,

Lock types make a big difference in that space between the edge and the front of the handle. Plus there are also many other factors that influence. The "Rock Jumper" model (not out yet) does address this concept in another way.

Models like the Caribbean bring the edge to the handle because we can do that with the Compression lock.

I've always tried to teach that "blades are for cutting", "handles are for holding". Trying to put as much blade as one can in a given handle is not always the most effective. A scalpel would not work better with longer blade or a shorter handle. The handle needs to provide control, comfort and purchase, regardless of the blade length. Blade to handle ratio is more of an "Eye" thing than a "function" thing.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 am
Hi Warstein,

Lock types make a big difference in that space between the edge and the front of the handle. Plus there are also many other factors that influence. The "Rock Jumper" model (not out yet) does address this concept in another way.

Models like the Caribbean bring the edge to the handle because we can do that with the Compression lock.

I've always tried to teach that "blades are for cutting", "handles are for holding". Trying to put as much blade as one can in a given handle is not always the most effective. A scalpel would not work better with longer blade or a shorter handle. The handle needs to provide control, comfort and purchase, regardless of the blade length. Blade to handle ratio is more of an "Eye" thing than a "function" thing.

sal
Hi Sal,

thanks a lot for the explanation! And the "scalpel"-example is a very good one, I understand what you mean and you are right. I know it is somehow a quite "nerdy" thing that I always like as much blade as possible in a given handle length, and it has nothing to do with function...

But I think I again did not manage to make clear what I meant: That would be: When the knife is closed, there is space towards the BACK/REAR end of the handle which is not filled by the blade. To give examples: Chaparral: When you close the knife, the tip of the blade almost reaches the rear end of the handle, and thus the blade is as long as possible. Delica/Stretch 2: There is some space left between the tip and the rear end of the handle when the knife is closed, thus the blade COULD be longer...

So in the light of that fact the blade of the Endela could be made longer, not in that the Ricasso would be made narrower.
I am fully aware of, that a traditional lockback knife does need some "kick" or "Ricasso" to function properly.

Anyway, the Endela is a great knife, and one am really eagerly awaiting... :)
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

sal wrote:
Hi Warstein,

sal
D'oh! This explains why I keep complaining to my doctor about bloody palms.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Thanks for sharing Wouter.

Hopefully these models go well with the market.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

sal wrote:
I've always tried to teach that "blades are for cutting", "handles are for holding". Trying to put as much blade as one can in a given handle is not always the most effective.
sal
I've never bought into the "longest blade that will fit into the handle" mantra myself. Case in point: My Sage 2 with 3" blade has just enough handle to get a good four-finger purchase on (behind the choil). It's a well-balanced knife.

The Native 5 has the same length blade, but the handle is a bit short for a full grip behind the choil. "Better" blade/handle ratio, worse functional design (for me).
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That’s how I view the para3, my current favorite. Long enough blade, longer handle with a variety of holding options. It does happen to look proportional to my aesthetic too.
sal

Post by sal »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:57 am
sal wrote:
Hi Warstein,

sal
Hi Sal,

thanks a lot for the explanation! And the "scalpel"-example is a very good one, I understand what you mean and you are right. I know it is somehow a quite "nerdy" thing that I always like as much blade as possible in a given handle length, and it has nothing to do with function...

But I think I again did not manage to make clear what I meant: That would be: When the knife is closed, there is space towards the BACK/REAR end of the handle which is not filled by the blade. To give examples: Chaparral: When you close the knife, the tip of the blade almost reaches the rear end of the handle, and thus the blade is as long as possible. Delica/Stretch 2: There is some space left between the tip and the rear end of the handle when the knife is closed, thus the blade COULD be longer...

So in the light of that fact the blade of the Endela could be made longer, not in that the Ricasso would be made narrower.
I am fully aware of, that a traditional lockback knife does need some "kick" or "Ricasso" to function properly.

Anyway, the Endela is a great knife, and one am really eagerly awaiting... :)

Hi Warstein,

If I may again share some of my thoughts? Also please keep in mind that I have been incrementally refining the Delica since 1990 and the Stretch since 1984. In both cases, the blade length was created to meet a legal requirement, (3.0" Delica and 3.5" Stretch) but the handle shrunk to match the handle was too small for many of my customers' hands. I hardly ever do anything in any of my models without specific thought and reason. In most cases, I'm happy to share those reasons. If something in a design is really ugly, I may consider that, That's why some say I "design in the dark". but models like the P'Kal are just not eye appealing and I wouldn't change a thing. A while back a customer coined a new word and said that my designs are just plain "fugly".

In the case of the Endela, the 3.5" blade length is a tad short of filling the handle (about 7mm). The handle 7mm shorter would not work to the best "function" and the blade any longer would be illegal in many jurisdictions. I hope that doesn't kill the model for you?

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love this about Spyderco: normally the handle is long enough to actually be functional and comfortable for any given blade length. I do not at all ascribe to the blade and handle ratio, which I consider to be nonsense. Some other companies rely on this as a sales tool and I do not buy their knives, usually, because there is simply not enough room to comfortably grip the handle.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

pinepig2 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:26 pm
sal wrote:
I've always tried to teach that "blades are for cutting", "handles are for holding". Trying to put as much blade as one can in a given handle is not always the most effective.
sal
I've never bought into the "longest blade that will fit into the handle" mantra myself. Case in point: My Sage 2 with 3" blade has just enough handle to get a good four-finger purchase on (behind the choil). It's a well-balanced knife.

The Native 5 has the same length blade, but the handle is a bit short for a full grip behind the choil. "Better" blade/handle ratio, worse functional design (for me).
This is why I do not like the Native 5. The only reason, in fact. The handle is too short.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Did you see any CPM-3V folders at the show??? Another infamous knife company has pre-orders up for a new 3V folder. Someone seriously needs to do a Native CPM-3V exclusive and soon! We saw two different Spyderco 4V folders last year and now this other company is releasing a PRODUCTION :eek: CPM-3V folder. Last year was also the year of the CRUWEAR NATION. Hopefully this is a sign that these steels will see some love in the coming months and years.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

As someone with larger hands, the delica has unfortunately always been too small to comfortably grip. The endura is much better, but having something under 3.5 should be 'just right'.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:57 am
sal wrote:
Hi Warstein,

If I may again share some of my thoughts? Also please keep in mind that I have been incrementally refining the Delica since 1990 and the Stretch since 1984. In both cases, the blade length was created to meet a legal requirement, (3.0" Delica and 3.5" Stretch) but the handle shrunk to match the handle was too small for many of my customers' hands. I hardly ever do anything in any of my models without specific thought and reason. In most cases, I'm happy to share those reasons. If something in a design is really ugly, I may consider that, That's why some say I "design in the dark". but models like the P'Kal are just not eye appealing and I wouldn't change a thing. A while back a customer coined a new word and said that my designs are just plain "fugly".

In the case of the Endela, the 3.5" blade length is a tad short of filling the handle (about 7mm). The handle 7mm shorter would not work to the best "function" and the blade any longer would be illegal in many jurisdictions. I hope that doesn't kill the model for you?

sal
Hi Sal,

Nothing better than you sharing some thoughts! ;) And I hope I may share some of mine:

- Firstly, concerning "designing in the dark": I absolutely love your designs. I once did a thread in which I stated, that I just realized, that my top 5 favorite folders (of all brands) were designed by Sal Glesser. And, with exception of the Shaman, that was true long before I even have heard of you, who you are and that you actually design knives (I carry, use and love Spydercos for quite some time now but only very much later I became interested in background and history of the brand). So, just plainly using knives you designed convinced me, without any further information.

- As for "blade filling the handle (as much as possible)": That has two aspects for me:

One is practical and true for smaller knives: I personally have a lower limit when it comes to actual cutting edge of at least 3 " (so EDGE not BLADElength)
I don´t want my main Edc knives edges to be shorter. So for example in the Delica I´d like the blade filling the handle to the full extent, it would be even more functional for me then (that´s not to say I would not like the Delica - I do!!)

The other is purely esthetic and very silly: I just think it looks better when a blade fills the handle as much as possible when the knife is closed. That has no practical implication at all, as long as the edge is at least 3 " anyway...

So: There is NO WAY that the a tad "shorter-as-it-could-be" blade of the Endela will "kill" that model for me!!
As I´ve already stated in a previous post: That´s a really VERY minor issue, since the edge is still long enough for my likings.
I totally understand that it is necessary to meet legal requirements so that the knife will sell better and more people will have the chance to actually carry and enjoy it.

Actually there is a very good chance the Endela will be the perfect knife for me and I can´t wait till it will be released... :)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Wow! Endela, D'fly wharcliffe and Native Chief are all must haves (though I'll likely hold out for a different steel in the NC)... Thought I had all the Spydercos I "needed" already, but it seems I was wrong!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
araneae

Post by araneae »

Recap of Wouter's fine work:
Attachments
spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_small.efficient.jpg
spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_dragonfly2.wharncliffe.jpg
spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_dragonfly2.emersonopener.jpg
spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_police4lightweight.jpg
spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_endela.jpg
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Continued:
Attachments
spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_byrd.harrier.jpg
spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_native.chief_.jpg
spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_sage5.lightweight.jpg
spyderco_amsterdammeet2019_emphasis.jpg
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Awesome idea, Nick. Better than flipping all over the place. I like the second, fifth, and maybe third.
- best wishes, Jazz.