Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

No complaints here.

I do however observe they ones coming out look very much like different versions of the same knife coming out. In other words a theme in the new ones coming out that they are very much alike but differ in size.

This of course excludes the LW Police4and the Para 3.

Not sure which existing knives are being compared to the up and coming ones.

As far as I am concerned light weights are a different category and not a purchase point for me. The current police 4 and Para3 are so light already when I hand them to people they exclaim how light they are.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:39 am
... Same thing with wanting Chap LW XL. These knives are just so well executed, a slightly larger version of each would fill most of my needs.

Then I may ask you to join the quest for a Chap XL if you not already have! :D viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492
(and selfishly bump a thread/poll I started sometime ago)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:12 am
steelcity16 wrote:
I know some people have complained that all of these upcoming knives are just slightly different variations of current knives, but that is what a lot of us want. I don't really have any interest in things like the Ikuchi and Pattada and what not. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Also, what we saw from Spydercollector this year was only a small representation of what was shown at the Amsterdam meet. There was a large number of other knives, such as collaborations, that we didn't get to see here. Due to the nature of the event (prototypes), what we see each year is at the discretion of Spyderco.

There is something for everyone to look forward to, i'm sure! :spyder:
Right. I think the new quarterly reveal policy dictates that the Amsterdam thread will no longer be full of knives that blow minds, but I'd be shocked if Spyderco didn't have those knives in their pipeline.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Mushroom wrote:

Absolutely! Spyderco does a great job of catering to so many different segments. It's honestly pretty amazing the variety they keep coming out with. Completely new and unique models, innovative variations of popular core models, the incredible Salt series, leading the way in super steels, different scale materials, even the new "value" line models. While I may never buy an Ikuchi, there are many who love it and I am glad they keep pushing the envelope with innovation as there will be new models that I will like and buy at some point, that is for certain! The only segment that I feel they are neglecting is the CRUWEAR NATION! :( But maybe we will be pleasantly surprised with some new Sprints and Exclusives! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

dj moonbat wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 am
Mushroom wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
I know some people have complained that all of these upcoming knives are just slightly different variations of current knives, but that is what a lot of us want. I don't really have any interest in things like the Ikuchi and Pattada and what not. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Also, what we saw from Spydercollector this year was only a small representation of what was shown at the Amsterdam meet. There was a large number of other knives, such as collaborations, that we didn't get to see here. Due to the nature of the event (prototypes), what we see each year is at the discretion of Spyderco.

Right. I think the new quarterly reveal policy dictates that the Amsterdam thread will no longer be full of knives that blow minds, but I'd be shocked if Spyderco didn't have those knives in their pipeline.
Cool, glad to hear this.
JT

Post by JT »

Wouter,
thanks for your effort once again!
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Any guesses as to when the Endela will begin to ship? I’m interested in the Chief but that Endela is definitely first up for me. Looks like an absolutely perfect size!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BDNX wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:18 pm
Any guesses as to when the Endela will begin to ship? I’m interested in the Chief but that Endela is definitely first up for me. Looks like an absolutely perfect size!
Oh yes! Given that Endura and Delica obviously do sell really well, I am almost wondering: What took them so long to come up with the Endela?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The wait for the Wharncliffe Dragonfly is going to kill me.
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:14 pm
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:07 pm
Has anyone else noticed allot of these knives are very similar in construction with minor differences chief among those being size.
They are all made of some combination of steel and synthetic material, and held together with steel pins or screws. So, yes.
Brilliant reply... Not! Seriously these are not very inspired designs, This may not be popular with the ewww ahhh it is new crowd but I ain’t trying to be.

I see a trend towards cheapening the product line with liner-less designs in an attempt to remain competitive with price sensitive buyers.

I also see a return to more traditional designs so far I look at everything shown and one word sums it up... boring.

Go ahead and hate I could really care less but I just received my Ikuchi and am very much looking forward to the Parata these are innovative designs.

These are designs with buying. 😁
The move to bring more lightweights to market gets great, proven designs out into the hands of the budget minded or more average knife user. There is also a large market for people who prefer lightweight knives or just like FRN in general. I fit all of these categories. As for linerless knives "cheapening" the product line, find me some examples of broken Spyderco frn or G-10 models with no liner.

If you find proven classics like the Police, Dragonfly, Para or the Sage boring, I guess that's your loss. The sales of these perennial favorites probably make it possible for Spyderco to do collabs, which are often short lived and I would bet, more likely to be unprofitable.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 pm
BDNX wrote:
Oh yes! Given that Endura and Delica obviously do sell really well, I am almost wondering: What took them so long to come up with the Endela?
Seems like you are interested in at least one of their boring traditional designs. ;)
-Nick

araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:45 am
The wait for the Wharncliffe Dragonfly is going to kill me.
Me too. Guessing these will be in the next Reveal which means we probably have a few months to wait yet. :(
BDNX wrote: Any guesses as to when the Endela will begin to ship? I’m interested in the Chief but that Endela is definitely first up for me. Looks like an absolutely perfect size!
Same guess as above
-Nick

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 am
Wartstein wrote:
BDNX wrote:
Seems like you are interested in at least one of their boring traditional designs. ;)
Huummh... I am the guy who started THIS thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82660&hilit=The+End ... your+hopes), so you're probably right... ;)

And: I am definitely NOT in the "think-the-new--designs-are-too-traditional-and-boring"- camp... ;)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

araneae wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:38 am
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:15 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:14 pm
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:07 pm
Has anyone else noticed allot of these knives are very similar in construction with minor differences chief among those being size.
They are all made of some combination of steel and synthetic material, and held together with steel pins or screws. So, yes.
Brilliant reply... Not! Seriously these are not very inspired designs, This may not be popular with the ewww ahhh it is new crowd but I ain’t trying to be.

I see a trend towards cheapening the product line with liner-less designs in an attempt to remain competitive with price sensitive buyers.

I also see a return to more traditional designs so far I look at everything shown and one word sums it up... boring.

Go ahead and hate I could really care less but I just received my Ikuchi and am very much looking forward to the Parata these are innovative designs.

These are designs with buying. 😁
The move to bring more lightweights to market gets great, proven designs out into the hands of the budget minded or more average knife user. There is also a large market for people who prefer lightweight knives or just like FRN in general. I fit all of these categories. As for linerless knives "cheapening" the product line, find me some examples of broken Spyderco frn or G-10 models with no liner.

If you find proven classics like the Police, Dragonfly, Para or the Sage boring, I guess that's your loss. The sales of these perennial favorites probably make it possible for Spyderco to do collabs, which are often short lived and I would bet, more likely to be unprofitable.
Own all those models.

For me there is no need to buy them again, for some like you I guess liner-less knives are a big enough reason to buy again or is it removing minute amounts of weight?

Maybe you do not already own the models you write about? Who knows? I respect your reasons though they are not my own.

I do not take the stance of getting knives into people’s hands as being any of my business so cheapening the build quality to get them to people at a lower price point using light weight which they already are is a business decision and one I will not support by purchasing those models.

I already have purchased around 5 or six Salt series liner-less but only because the blades were not available in a linered knife. Spydiehawk for example. They are tough but not as solid as the linered knives and yes I have had to adjust these to get rid if excessive motion.

The Para3 with BD1N does get my attention for the Steel alone and if I recall does have metal inserts. Partial metal inserts or liners or whatever they are called around the mechanicals I am good with.

Blade on plastic? Rotating? No thank you.

So this is my reasoning if you do not agree that is fine go forth and enjoy your light weight knives, it’s all good;)
sal

Post by sal »

Wartstein wrote:
BDNX wrote:

It was originally expected that the Stretch would fill that size slot, but it turned out to be my bad. The market would not accept the new blade shape as part of the family.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
BDNX wrote:

It was originally expected that the Stretch would fill that size slot, but it turned out to be my bad. The market would not accept the new blade shape as part of the family.

sal
Thanks for the clarification, Sal!

On the one hand: For a huge Stretch-Lover like me it's totally incomprehensible that it did not sell really well. Possible reasons for that have been discussed here quite a lot recently, but almost everyone who really uses and experiences the Stretch comes to at least like it.

On the other hand I am glad that now there will be both a Stretch AND an Endela. I can forsee the latter kicking my beloved Enduras out of my pocket quite often.. ;)

Sal, may I ask: Do you still contemplate a straight spine Stretch like you mentioned?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I truly hope that the Endela does not mean an end for the Stretch. :(

I am excited about the new blade shape but I have hunch that I may prefer the Stretch's handle. I usually prefer handles without any sort of finger grooves. The palm swell of the Stretch handle is excellent.

Might we still see a straight spined Stretch?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:18 am
araneae wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 am
Wartstein wrote:
BDNX wrote:
Huummh... I am the guy who started THIS thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82660&hilit=The+End ... your+hopes), so you're probably right... ;)

And: I am definitely NOT in the "think-the-new--designs-are-too-traditional-and-boring"- camp... ;)
Just pointing out that there are plenty of us looking forward to what some think are boring, cheap, lightweights.
-Nick

spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Man that Endela is gonna be a knockout, Ive been wanting that size delica/endura for yeaaaarrrs. So pumped. Can’t wait for a g10 model! 😁😁
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

ol_lukey wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:22 am
I threw my wallet at my computer when i saw the endela. looks to be the perfect size and the little bit of extra belly will be nice as well. I'll take 8
Me too!Look like my dream knife finally arrived.I just hope they'll have colors,so i can justify buying way more than i need :)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.