Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
thewoodpecker
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby thewoodpecker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:26 pm

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:39 am
The Native Chief is pretty much a Police 4 without a hump. Slightly smaller and with a pointier blade. I'd like to see it with a swedge to make it more faithful to the Native line.
I think a swedge would leave the tip a little weak for such a long blade. I still like the look of it.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue User

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1761
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby ABX2011 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 pm

I think if the blade were a bit wider a swedge could work. Anyway, I'm psyched that it's fairly thin stock and linerless scales.

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1761
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby ABX2011 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:52 pm

mayong wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:27 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm
Also made in Golden is a plus as others have stated; their lockbacks often have zero blade play.
That's my only gripe with the Spyderco back/mid lock. Police 4, Caly 3 & 3.5, Endura -- they all have just a little bit of vertical blade play. All Japan-made. Not noticeable unless I'm cutting something that requires significant downward force but it still bothers me knowing that they're not stop-pin solid.
The Golden backlock doesn't use a stop pin either. It's just better engineered.

User avatar
demoncase
Member
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:07 am
Location: England- Wolverhampton
Contact:

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby demoncase » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:00 pm

It's really nice to see all these pure classic Spyderco models this year in their next evolutions and iterations- and that 4" Native is a dream knife.

While I have loved some of the collaboration models in the last few years, there's always something utterly delightful in holding a pure Sal or Eric design.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/

VashHash
Member
Posts: 3570
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby VashHash » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Been waiting for the chief for years. Definitely picking one up.

User avatar
Albatross
Member
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby Albatross » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm

thewoodpecker wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:20 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:39 am
At 2.6 ounces I doubt it has liners.

I am personally super happy about a super lightweight 4 inch knife.

It looks a lot like the C54 Calypso which makes me happy. When do we get the first sprint? :-D
Rex45 anyone?
I hope that happens! Really, anything in Rex45, since I missed the sprints. It could be a Rex45 butter knife and I'd be happy.
sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

...But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark"...

sal

User avatar
p_atrick
Member
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm
Location: Boston Area

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby p_atrick » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Albatross wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm
I hope that happens! Really, anything in Rex45, since I missed the sprints. It could be a Rex45 butter knife and I'd be happy.
Fradon Lock still has some Rex 45 Militaries in stock.
https://www.safeandlockstore.com/knives ... ife-blade/

User avatar
Albatross
Member
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby Albatross » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:22 pm

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:42 pm
Albatross wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm
I hope that happens! Really, anything in Rex45, since I missed the sprints. It could be a Rex45 butter knife and I'd be happy.
Fradon Lock still has some Rex 45 Militaries in stock.
https://www.safeandlockstore.com/knives ... ife-blade/
I've been avoiding the Military, but I think it's time to give the model a try, if for no other reason than the steel. Looks like I'll be the proud new owner of some sweet steel.
sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

...But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark"...

sal

User avatar
JRinFL
Member
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am
Location: Unfashionable West End of the Galaxy

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby JRinFL » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:15 pm

I really like the looks of the Less Efficient, the More Efficient, and most definitely the Native Chief!
Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date. :rolleyes: :spyder: Native in 440v was my gateway Spyderco! :spyder:

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7393
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe

Postby Jazz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:20 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:50 am

One vote against the swedge here. It will be more comfortable to use your thumb on the spine without the swedge.
.....

And I would like a wharncliffe manbug as well :D

Well, I like how you think, bro. Easy to put a swedge on if you want, and let’s get the Manbug wharnie hyped up. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7393
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby Jazz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:22 pm

demoncase wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:00 pm
It's really nice to see all these pure classic Spyderco models this year in their next evolutions and iterations- and that 4" Native is a dream knife.

While I have loved some of the collaboration models in the last few years, there's always something utterly delightful in holding a pure Sal or Eric design.

Well said. Love the selection this year.

Can’t wait to hear what else Wouter has to tell us.
- best wishes, Jazz.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4878
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe

Postby ZrowsN1s » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Jazz wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:20 pm
...... let’s get the Manbug wharnie hyped up. :cool:
👍 It would be a cool knife and I'm betting the most popular of the manbugs. I'm gonna be in a new job soon and I think I'm going to have to leave a lot of my folders at home, so I'm looking for some more small carries. A wharncliffe manbug would be a nice option for the office. I had my zdp manbug in my pocket for the interview :D
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1658
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe

Postby Woodpuppy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:46 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 pm
Jazz wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:20 pm
...... let’s get the Manbug wharnie hyped up. :cool:
👍 It would be a cool knife and I'm betting the most popular of the manbugs. I'm gonna be in a new job soon and I think I'm going to have to leave a lot of my folders at home, so I'm looking for some more small carries. A wharncliffe manbug would be a nice option for the office. I had my zdp manbug in my pocket for the interview :D
IIRC Jazz already has a design drawing of the wharnie man bug. Bring it!
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

User avatar
mayong
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:00 am

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby mayong » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 pm

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:52 pm
mayong wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:27 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:30 pm
Also made in Golden is a plus as others have stated; their lockbacks often have zero blade play.
That's my only gripe with the Spyderco back/mid lock. Police 4, Caly 3 & 3.5, Endura -- they all have just a little bit of vertical blade play. All Japan-made. Not noticeable unless I'm cutting something that requires significant downward force but it still bothers me knowing that they're not stop-pin solid.
The Golden backlock doesn't use a stop pin either. It's just better engineered.

You’re absolutely right. I phrased that poorly in my original post - I meant to compare them to the solidity of stop-pin knives, not that they actually have them.
Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich

DrawBackwards
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:25 pm
Location: Orem, Utah

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby DrawBackwards » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for all the work taking & posting photos. This is all tremendously cool stuff!

User avatar
dj moonbat
Member
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:58 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby dj moonbat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:10 am

I wish there were more unlined G-10 knives.

KingRat
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:46 pm

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby KingRat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22 am

Native Chief is looking good. Finally!

If you want sprints, we'll have to support the initial CPM S30V black G10 model. Remember the Manix 2 backlock.

That being said, if we're taking orders, I'd like one with the old style "swedge-grind" look, with the old square jimping, to match my old school Native. That would be rad.

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 2978
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby The Meat man » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:03 am

KingRat wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:22 am

If you want sprints, we'll have to support the initial CPM S30V black G10 model. Remember the Manix 2 backlock.

Yes.
- Connor

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7393
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe

Postby Jazz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:22 am

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:46 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 pm
Jazz wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:20 pm
...... let’s get the Manbug wharnie hyped up. :cool:
👍 It would be a cool knife and I'm betting the most popular of the manbugs. I'm gonna be in a new job soon and I think I'm going to have to leave a lot of my folders at home, so I'm looking for some more small carries. A wharncliffe manbug would be a nice option for the office. I had my zdp manbug in my pocket for the interview :D
IIRC Jazz already has a design drawing of the wharnie man bug. Bring it!
Maybe we need a new thread, but I’ll put my rendering here anyway.

Image
- best wishes, Jazz.

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1761
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Postby ABX2011 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:37 am

I want a wharnie Manbug (in a premium steel preferably)!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Accutron, AwayFromMySpydieHole, Google [Bot], pushcut, Sumdumguy, T2C, Wartstein and 25 guests