What Could Profoundly Improve The 204 Sharpmaker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

What Could Profoundly Improve The 204 Sharpmaker?

Post by JD Spydo »

First off I want to confirm to you all that I've been a huge fan of the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker since I got my first one back in the late 90s/early 2000s. And by and large I really love the unit and I own two of them and use either one of them at least 3 to 4 times a week on different sharpening jobs. And please in no way am I trying to be critical or detract from Sal Glesser's genius design and original idea for the Sharpmaker because to me it's probably the very best kit sharpening system I've ever used. Please don't at all consider this to be construed as any type of complaint against the 204 Sharpmaker because I sure don't mean that way at all.

But over the years I've given a lot of thought to what might make it even better yet. For instance I've said for a long time that if they would make a coarse or extra-coarse stone for blades that are really dinged up and chipped up bad to where you need an abrasive that could do rapid stock removal. And I've owned two set of the diamond stones for quite some time now but they are not coarse or aggressive enough for some of the sharpening jobs I've encountered.

Also I've wondered over the years how a bigger scale version of the Spyderco Sharpmaker would be like. Something with stones maybe two to three times bigger than the ones we have now. And a base you could clamp to the tailgate of a truck or big workbench. And a unit that can sharpen axes, machetes and other bigger edged tools. So I would like to hear what you all might think could make a great tool even better. What would you all do to change or improve the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker?
Pelagic

Re: What Could Profoundly Improve The 204 Sharpmaker?

Post by Pelagic »

Only extremely fast cutting (which is a different attribute than coarse vs fine), coarse rods could make it better. It's fine for essentially everything except re-profiling.

Well, I guess more options for different angles would be nice too. But there's nothing really wrong with it as is.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Maybe another option concerning grind angle. Let's say 17 or 12 degrees. This would not necessarely require another set of slots for the rods: Alternatively you could construct the base in a way, so that it can also be sat up to be tilted from side to side in a defined amount, that would change the angle of the sharpening rods also.

In fact, I did this a few times by attaching one of the safety rods with a rubber band to the middle of the base, so that the whole sharpener sat on the rod and could be tilted from side to side.
If you tilt the right side of the sharpener up when sharpening the right edge and vice versa for left, that gives you a more acute angle.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

More grit selections.

Adjustable angles with defined adjustments(detents at every 5°)

Can't think of much else, it's pretty darned good.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Accessory bases that allowed other angles.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Easy, more grits and more angles.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Redo the base make it thicker to accommodate a system with a ratcheting lock utilize two independent wheels with cutouts for triangle stones as you rotate the wheel the stone is inserted in it clicks into positions that can cover the spectrum between 10 degrees and 20 in increments click , click, click, click and a locking side lever for each wheel utilizing a cam to lock in the desired angle.

Sell optional wheels that can be inserted into the base that allow you to use triangle or cats eye stones.

Additional stone grits not diamond or any other kind of coated rod but more aggressive stone grits of 600 and 800 Grit respectively.
Ric

Post by Ric »

more aggressive diamonds

a thicker case which can hold more rods

The degree setting also on top. So when you open it (with the stones in their storage) you know where which angle is.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

More grits, more angles, though I have recently had surprisingly good success using sandpaper wrapped around the rods for lower grit reprofiling. More than anything though I wish the base could be adjusted to accurately match the angle of serration bevels.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:44 pm
More grits, more angles, though I have recently had surprisingly good success using sandpaper wrapped around the rods for lower grit reprofiling. More than anything though I wish the base could be adjusted to accurately match the angle of serration bevels.
Could you tell me, what exact kind / grit of sandpaper you´re using for reprofiling? (In my case it would be 1095 on an Esee Laser Strike, so rather soft and easy to grind steel).
And how do you fixate the sandpaper? just rubber bands or some kind of clamps?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The SM is perfect for what it does; it's compact, versatile enough for basic/portable use and requires no special skills or elaborate set-up to get great performance... If you want a more comprehensive sharpening system there are many out there, most of which don't have anywhere near the portability or simplicity of the Sharpmaker.

That said, a set of fast cutting ceramic, or bonded abrasive coarse stones would be awesome, the diamond and CBN rods are very decent and functional, but plated on abrasives aren't durable enough to be used for a lifetime of reprofiling.
Last edited by awa54 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 pm
Evil D wrote:
Could you tell me, what exact kind / grit of sandpaper you´re using for reprofiling? (In my case it would be 1095 on an Esee Laser Strike, so rather soft and easy to grind steel).

Silicon carbide is the best choice for paper, and you can use just about any grit you desire. There are packs on Amazon ranging from 60 grit up to 3000 grit and they're fairly cheap ($7). I use binder clips to hold them on..

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Silicon carbide is the best choice for paper, and you can use just about any grit you desire. There are packs on Amazon ranging from 60 grit up to 3000 grit and they're fairly cheap ($7). I use binder clips to hold them on..

Thank you, David!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:07 am
More grit selections.

Adjustable angles with defined adjustments(detents at every 5°)

Can't think of much else, it's pretty darned good.
Oh I'm most definitely with you on "grit selections">> I've even thought about a wider selection even on the fine side of the grit scale. It would be most interesting if someone like Shapton, Congress, Norton or even DMT would make aftermarket rods that could fit in and be used in the 204 Sharpmaker. Truly I think it could be a "WIN-WIN" situation for the other Abrasive company and Spyderco both.

I've also given thought to a wider angle selection. They could probably implement something you could attach to the underneath of the base to create more angle selections. I've even thought about adding some type of ceramic and Tungsten Carbide small V shaped slot just for really quick touch ups on relatively sharp blades>> I think that idea would be better than stropping or using sharpening steels IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 pm
Evil D wrote:

EVIL D I love your idea of implementing sandpaper and other abrasive papers for using on the 204 unit. I was thinking that they could make rods that are bigger/wider with a base that would be narrowed down to fit in the base unit but also be wide enough to make working with Sandpaper and Silicone Carbide paper much easier. I've got so much abrasive paper and crocus cloth I've accumulated over the years and I've been wanting to find a way to get some really good use out of all of it.

Also rather than using sharpening steels they could make a really hard/smooth 204 Sharpmaker rod that would essentially do the same thing with controlled angle. Great responses so far guys :) I hope the General is paying attention to this thread ;)
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

An excellent improvement would be the inclusion of a free HAP40 Stretch just to get you started!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:42 am
Redo the base make it thicker to accommodate a system with a ratcheting lock utilize two independent wheels with cutouts for triangle stones as you rotate the wheel the stone is inserted in it clicks into positions that can cover the spectrum between 10 degrees and 20 in increments click , click, click, click and a locking side lever for each wheel utilizing a cam to lock in the desired angle.

Sell optional wheels that can be inserted into the base that allow you to use triangle or cats eye stones.

Additional stone grits not diamond or any other kind of coated rod but more aggressive stone grits of 600 and 800 Grit respectively.
I wish I could see a diagram of what you are describing because it sounds like a great idea on the surface. I also like the idea of being able to use "tri-angular and "Cat's Eye" stones in the same system. The "Cat's Eye" stones in the old GALLEY V sharpening kit were great and I still use the ones I was lucky enough to obtain when I got my original GALLEY V kit back in the late 90s.

Also a wider selection of stones in a bigger grit selection is something I've been suggesting for years now>> the sooner the better on that one.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I only wish I had the skills, I can see it in my head but would need someone with design skills to put it into cad.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

More grit selections so I can have a diamond C,M,and F in all diamond and no matter what I sharpening(steel) it will do it effectively and quickly. I also like the cat eye rods so there is no flat spots.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
vivi

Post by vivi »

1. Instead of med / fine, I'd include med / course.

2. 10 degree slots in the middle.

3. wider stones.

4. no guard rods or slots.

5. lid snaps on more securely.

6. redesign the top storage slots so they hold the rods more securely with less wiggle, for when using the sharp maker free hand like a bench stone. (The slots on the bottom offer too little clearance for handle scales unless you're sharpening something like a chef knife)
:unicorn