PE H1 for EDC - how long will it last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonijedi

PE H1 for EDC - how long will it last?

Post by tonijedi »

I usually carry a SE Salt 2, it has the right size, the right tip and the serrations just cut the variety of materials I encounter now and then. But I'll put my PE H1 Dragonfly to the test: I'll start carrying tomorrow and I'll see how the edge will decay. I don't have to cut many things on a daily basis but my pocket knife is sure to get out of my pocket a couple of times a day.
Anyone else EDC PE H1 over there?
Evil D

Re: PE H1 for EDC - how long will it last?

Post by Evil D »

Depends on what you cut and how often you expect to sharpen it. Might be totally dull half through a job, might just need touched up at the end of the day. I took mine (same knife) to Florida and it lasted me just fine on vacation, but then I wasn't cutting a lot of stuff on the beach. I would greatly prefer the SE version if I had to carry a Dfly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've EDC'd a PE Pacific Salt and it's always worked well enough for me. The edge lasts like 440C and AUS8 for me. Not great, but good enough to get me through the week. I wasn't having to touch it up every day or anything.
:unicorn
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

It really depends what you cut with it. I find that PE H1 doesn't like to cut abrasive mediums. The edge will flatten pretty fast and you'll be able to see the light reflect on it where the damage is done. Hard to tell how much that takes, but significantly less than s30v for example, when doing the same task. My Salt 2 is PE, and I wouldn't call it my favorite knife to use. My Pacific Salt serrated on the other hand, it easily fits in my top 5 favorite folders.

My advice, if you don't specifically need a straight edge for the task you do (woodwork; in need of precise fine straight cuts etc), always go for serration. There's a reason why most carnivorous dinosaurs, reptiles, sharks and other marine predators have serrated teeth. It just works.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

How'd you who have experience with PE H1 compare it to PE VG 10 (other than in corrosion resistance)?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I used to sport a PE Salt 1 for work before the Delica wharnie was made. It lasted well enough. I steeled it more and touch ups were more often than VG10, but still, for all the cardboard I cut, it worked quite well.

Nothing will replace the Delica wharncliffe now.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:49 am
How'd you who have experience with PE H1 compare it to PE VG 10 (other than in corrosion resistance)?
Not quite as good especially when cutting cardboard and such. However, if you're willing to experiment with the blade grind and edge, you can make a formidable cardboard killer out of an H1 blade (thinner blade grind, lower edge angle). The real benefit from H1 as an EDC steel for me is how easy and quick the edge is brought back to very high sharpness, just a few passes on a Sharpmaker and it's whittling hair. If you need to cut drywall and insulation and shingles all day it probably isn't the best idea but it's plenty good enough for average uses. I think people who agonize over the thought of sharpening everyday need to experience how easy steels like this take an edge and then it becomes less of a chore and more enjoyable when your edge is as sharp as I experience.
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:55 am
I steeled it more
As in a chef’s steel?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:49 am
Not quite as good especially when cutting cardboard and such. However, if you're willing to experiment with the blade grind and edge, you can make a formidable cardboard killer out of an H1 blade (thinner blade grind, lower edge angle). The real benefit from H1 as an EDC steel for me is how easy and quick the edge is brought back to very high sharpness, just a few passes on a Sharpmaker and it's whittling hair. If you need to cut drywall and insulation and shingles all day it probably isn't the best idea but it's plenty good enough for average uses. I think people who agonize over the thought of sharpening everyday need to experience how easy steels like this take an edge and then it becomes less of a chore and more enjoyable when your edge is as sharp as I experience.
Jazz wrote: I used to sport a PE Salt 1 for work before the Delica wharnie was made. It lasted well enough. I steeled it more and touch ups were more often than VG10, but still, for all the cardboard I cut, it worked quite well.
Thanks to both of you for the replies! To be honest, to me it sounds like the benefit of H1 (beside its total corrosion resistance of course, which I personally have no need for though) is the same as with most "cheaper" steels, right? 440 C, Aus 8 for example also get very sharp very easy in my experience, but you need to touch those up quite frequently (but, as I mentioned on this forum before: I am in no way a steel - or sharpening-expert)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yes, it gets very sharp very quickly, and I am likely farther from being a sharpening expert than you. I actually prefer using H1, even in plain edge, to VG-10, for this reason. Of course the knives are different models too, but that is another topic. For example though, I've been carrying my Salt 1 for a while, just doing light cutting. It still cut paper easily, but last night I touched it up on my old Sharpmaker, less than two minutes, and promptly shaved a bald spot on my arm. SE is incredible in this steel, but I really like PE too.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:37 am
As in a chef’s steel?

Yes. Backwards like a strop. Not sure why they say go forward, when your straightening the edge. Works for me every day at work.
- best wishes, Jazz.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:45 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:37 am
As in a chef’s steel?

Yes. Backwards like a strop. Not sure why they say go forward, when your straightening the edge. Works for me every day at work.
Thanks, Jazz. I wondered because I can’t recall a thread on sharpening taking up the subject of chef’s steels.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Day 1: used it 3 times to open plastic packages. Still shaving sharp, as it should be.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Day 2: used it once for opening a package...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'm interested in seeing how this goes. Keep the updates coming tonijedi! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Day 3: more packages and nothing else.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but H-1 has been replaced by LC200N and VG-10 has been replaced my CPM s30v. I deeply sorry for for you loss, but like the horse and buggy it's time came and went. :(
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Crux wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:33 pm
I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but H-1 has been replaced by LC200N and VG-10 has been replaced my CPM s30v. I deeply sorry for for you loss, but like the horse and buggy it's time came and went. :(
Tell that to the Amish.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Or Sal.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Day 4: as everything seems to be wrapped in plastic these days, that's what my knife cut today. I used it to trim some glass fiber net at work (some soft stuff).

There must be something wrong with my knives as I went to check and those that were H1 are still H1 and those that were VG10 still read VG10 on the tang... maybe I've to connect them to the internet for the upgrade?