Spyderco Stretch in action

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spyderco Stretch in action

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Just came across this video and thought others might enjoy seeing a Stretch in action.

This as all Stretch users know is one overlooked highly capable knife.

https://youtu.be/nhLvp6-KVMg
Evil D

Re: Spyderco Stretch in action

Post by Evil D »

One of my favorite SE models. Thin and FFG.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

How are the serrations? Like the old military that snag or like the more modern ones we like?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:08 pm
How are the serrations? Like the old military that snag or like the more modern ones we like?
I'd say more like the old ones but the blade is much thinner throughout so it slices better especially towards the tip where the distal taper thins out.
~David
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

I don't own one, but I'd like to. Just looking at the differences between the stretch and a stretch 2 I prefer the stretch. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if I can find one sooner or later.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I just purchased a PS version in stainless with Kraton handle in lays I wonder what it will be like.

I do prefer a Parial Serration to a full. Best of both worlds. By the way Evil D I saw your power stopping video on YouTube pretty cool with dremel. I have a spare Wicked Edge vice I need to mount just for this kind of work.

Thinking outloud need some kind of arm I can lock a vice into different position clamped to a bench to make this operation safe.

Sure holding the knife by hand is going to work but not worth potential injuries if I make a mistake.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Here is a picture anyone have experience with the C90PS?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... ton-handle
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 pm
I just purchased a PS version in stainless with Kraton handle in lays I wonder what it will be like.

I do prefer a Parial Serration to a full. Best of both worlds. By the way Evil D I saw your power stopping video on YouTube pretty cool with dremel. I have a spare Wicked Edge vice I need to mount just for this kind of work.

Thinking outloud need some kind of arm I can lock a vice into different position clamped to a bench to make this operation safe.

Sure holding the knife by hand is going to work but not worth potential injuries if I make a mistake.

It's VERY important that you run the Dremel in the right direction so that the wheel is spinning away from the edge and not into it. You should be touching the edge so gently that you never come close to losing your grip on the knife. But yeah, a clamp setup is definitely safest.
~David
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

That C90PS harkens back to the Pro Venator, which was my first Spyderco purchase in 1994. If I were more of a collector I'd seek one out to kind of bring things full circle for me. I've already got more than enough Stretch's (1st gen) as it is, however.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Grjfer wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:35 pm
I don't own one, but I'd like to. Just looking at the differences between the stretch and a stretch 2 I prefer the stretch. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if I can find one sooner or later.
Bento Box Shop still has Stretch 1 in stock. VG 10 as well as HAP 40

(Again: If posting such infos here is not ok, ADMINS please let me know and delete my post)
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:23 pm
Just came across this video and thought others might enjoy seeing a Stretch in action.

This as all Stretch users know is one overlooked highly capable knife.

https://youtu.be/nhLvp6-KVMg
Thanks for posting the video!

You are right in that the Stretch does not get the attention and sales it deserves imho amongst the "average customers" (not meant to sound pejorative!!) ; but I think it is not overlooked on this forum (anymore?)!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Overlooked on this forum Hmmmm Thanks for the idea. :)
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:28 am
Grjfer wrote:

(Again: If posting such infos here is not ok, ADMINS please let me know and delete my post)
Thank you for helping me spend my money. VG 10 Stretch is inbound to me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Grjfer wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:28 am
Grjfer wrote:

Thank you for helping me spend my money. VG 10 Stretch is inbound to me.
That´s good news! I am sure you won´t regret it and would appreciate, if you report back how you like the Stretch 1.

I myself have three (two VG 10, one HAP 40) - the VG 10 model is the only knife I ever felt that I needed a backup for... ;) (and it is in my pocket right now)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Lol 2 VG-10 Stretch 1 here & 1 Hap 40 Stretch 1

2 VG-10 Stretch2,

1 Stretch 2 in blue forget steels name,

1 Stretch 2 ZDP-189 Brown G10
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I love the Stretch, but it was not love at first sight. It took a while (maybe 5+ years) to understand the design enough to get past the unconventional and, IMO, unattractive appearance of the knife, but the Stretch eventually won me over with raw functionality. I have both the Stretch 1 and 2 in ZDP. These days, I have a Stretch in my pocket more often than not.

The Stretch 2 is better for me. I like that the blade is a little vertically lower in relation to hand position (easier for cutting on surfaces) and I like the extra handle real estate. But both knives are great. The large belly really works out well for hunting and edc tasks.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:15 am
Lol 2 VG-10 Stretch 1 here & 1 Hap 40 Stretch 1

2 VG-10 Stretch2,

1 Stretch 2 in blue forget steels name,

1 Stretch 2 ZDP-189 Brown G10
:) That´s good for you!!

I try (most of the time even succesfully.. ;) ) to keep my Spyderco-collection at a number of not more than ten (ok, right now it´s eleven, but one was a gift). So I often times have to sell knives to achieve and try other models.
That´s why I have "only" three Stretch 1 and no Stretch 2 anymore. It was a hard decision, but 1.) I like the Stretch 1 slightly better and 2.) I reckoned, that I can purchase a Stretch 2 once more anytime I want to, while the "1" will be harder and harder to find presumably.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh I left 10 knives in the rear view mirror long ago :)

The ones I no longer want I sell but guess what I keep discovering new models to try but frankly the Stretch is what I consider the best all around EDC.

For the Kitchen I am enjoying the Hundred pacer and the Waterway.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I haven't taken a new pic including my Vtoku yet. Gotta love the Stretch! Especially my Super Blue Stretch. It was my first Stretch and the one that taught me to like the model.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 pm
I haven't taken a new pic including my Vtoku yet. Gotta love the Stretch! Especially my Super Blue Stretch. It was my first Stretch and the one that taught me to like the model.

Nice!

Looking forward to my partly serrated coming in. Will post some pics Carrying VG-10 Stretch one today. VG-10 Is just a really amazing steel wish I would have discovered it first.