Spyderco Stretch in action

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anagarika

Re: Spyderco Stretch in action

Post by anagarika »

Jon,

Thank you for sharing!
There was an Aogami Super Stretch in the past ... as you probably know already ;).
We can dream about shirogami but according to Murray Carter, the HT is tricky to get it right (and why many does aogami but not shirogami), I’m not sure a factory setting that runs it in large batches is ideal for that.
Chris :spyder:
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

anagarika wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:28 am
Jon,

Thank you for sharing!
There was an Aogami Super Stretch in the past ... as you probably know already ;).
We can dream about shirogami but according to Murray Carter, the HT is tricky to get it right (and why many does aogami but not shirogami), I’m not sure a factory setting that runs it in large batches is ideal for that.
Anagarika you're quite welcome, I love talking about 52100 lol. And yes I do know about the Aogami Stretch, it's one of those knives I wish I could snag. They pop up on various secondary markets from time to time so maybe one day... I was not aware that Shirogami's HT is tricky, and that's a shame, but as I recall 52100 isn't the easiest formula to heat treat either, and it seems like if anyone can do it in a factory setting, it's Spyderco with it's tremendous experience and top-notch facilities. I think it's just something about the simplest carbon steels like 1095 and 52100 that appeal to me, and while I've never actually used White steel, it's very similar compositionally to those other two US steels, so I reckon the performance is about the same. And if it could ever be used in a Stretch I'd love to see Spyderco just go whole hog and forgo the cladding!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:57 am
anagarika wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:28 am
Jon,

Thank you for sharing!
Anagarika you're quite welcome, I love talking about 52100 lol. And yes I do know about the Aogami Stretch, it's one of those knives I wish I could snag. They pop up on various secondary markets from time to time so maybe one day... I was not aware that Shirogami's HT is tricky, and that's a shame, but as I recall 52100 isn't the easiest formula to heat treat either, and it seems like if anyone can do it in a factory setting, it's Spyderco with it's tremendous experience and top-notch facilities. I think it's just something about the simplest carbon steels like 1095 and 52100 that appeal to me, and while I've never actually used White steel, it's very similar compositionally to those other two US steels, so I reckon the performance is about the same. And if it could ever be used in a Stretch I'd love to see Spyderco just go whole hog and forgo the cladding!
Agree on many points. 52100 HT isn’t the simplest HT either and it seems Spyderco has done well here. If anyone can do Shirogami in factory setting, it’s Spyderco. That’s why I said we can dream (like we dreamed 52100 long time back).
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Like you, Jon and Chris, I love the Stretch (both generations, though I now favor the second) and I love carbon steels (what a wondrous sharpening response 1095, O1, 52100, and Super Blue have!).

I do wish we could have a 52100 Stretch. 52100 being unlikely (I content myself with a 52100 PM2), the Super Blue model is the only near-equivalent among the Japanese steels Spyderco has offered.

I had one but the grind lines on the laminate were an insulting abomination, so I gave that Stretch to my niece’s boyfriend because he liked how it cut (I content myself with an SB Caly 3.5 and an SB Calypso Jr., each unlaminated).

I would be all over an unlaminated SB Stretch, or one in some other unlaminated Japanese equivalent.

What equivalents might there be?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:49 am
Like you, Jon and Chris, I love the Stretch (both generations, though I now favor the second) and I love carbon steels (what a wondrous sharpening response 1095, O1, 52100, and Super Blue have!).

I do wish we could have a 52100 Stretch. 52100 being unlikely (I content myself with a 52100 PM2), the Super Blue model is the only near-equivalent among the Japanese steels Spyderco has offered.

I had one but the grind lines on the laminate were an insulting abomination, so I gave that Stretch to my niece’s boyfriend because he liked how it cut (I content myself with an SB Caly 3.5 and an SB Calypso Jr., each unlaminated).

I would be all over an unlaminated SB Stretch, or one in some other unlaminated Japanese equivalent.

What equivalents might there be?
Yeah, the laminate lines themselves on my V-Toku Stretch are not even, but it doesn't bother me too much. But I'm with you on the idea of an unlaminated run, mostly because corrosion resistance is really nowhere on my list of preferences, but that's just me. In terms of carbon steel option, the ones you listed are pretty much it, although again, for the Seki-City models, Japanese steels are the only ones that will make it. That's why I think it would be cool if Spyderco could expand into the White steel market. It would be new to Spyderco, and they don't seem to be afraid to experiment with different steels if in fact it can be done.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I am totally with you guys in supporting Spyderco's continued use of carbon steel in some folders, but I much prefer the laminates. For me it has to do with a few things.

1. Laminates with stainless cladding help protect the pivot and lock mechanism from corrosion in damp or corrosive environments.
2. I have used laminated steel carving knives and tools for a couple decades and I like how it works.
3. I appreciate how the lamination lines reveal the manufacturing and I think that the irregularities add 'poetry' to the knife.

I too love the sharpening response and edge characteristics of carbon steels. I live in a wet environment and I also love LC200n! I would love a Stretch 2 Salt!

Funny thing tho, I love my VToku Stretch. The steel performs great and I appreciate the irregularities in the lamination lines.

In any case we are all lucky to have Spyderco providing amazing knives in a range of cool steels!
Last edited by Enactive on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

OK, OK, I’ll entertain the idea that I’m cutting off my nose to spite my face regarding laminates. I really do want to try HAP40 and V-Toku2... Irregularities as art, that could sell me. :)

JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:27 pm
OK, OK, I’ll entertain the idea that I’m cutting off my nose to spite my face regarding laminates. I really do want to try HAP40 and V-Toku2... Irregularities as art, that could sell me. :)
I don't know much about HAP40, can you tell me how it compares to V-Toku?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:49 am
wrdwrght wrote:
In a nutshell, Hap40 holds an edge longer and takes a more acute edge, similar to M4 in that regard.
Last edited by Albatross on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:49 am
wrdwrght wrote:
I’m as in the dark as you, and just as curious.

anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I’d suggest watching Michael Christy and Shawn (Deadboxhero) videos. From them, one will get good educated guess about the difference between V-Toku2 and HAP-40.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

anagarika wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:22 am
I’d suggest watching Michael Christy and Shawn (Deadboxhero) videos. From them, one will get good educated guess about the difference between V-Toku2 and HAP-40.
Thanks, Chris.

Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Shawn is awesome will look at the other guys stuff too. Thanks