Spyderco Stretch in action

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Spyderco Stretch in action

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:06 pm
Oh I left 10 knives in the rear view mirror long ago :)

The ones I no longer want I sell but guess what I keep discovering new models to try but frankly the Stretch is what I consider the best all around EDC.

My limit is Not ten KNIVES, but ten Spydercos... ;) Though, when it comes to folders I have just one quality knife that is not a Spyderco.

But additionally 6 fixed blades I think, which are also knives... ;)

/ ... "best all around EDC"? - Yes. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
hmr170

Post by hmr170 »

I'm pretty sure that is the first knife review video that I have seen where the reviewer is wearing pajama bottoms and slippers.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

hmr170 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:51 pm
I'm pretty sure that is the first knife review video that I have seen where the reviewer is wearing pajama bottoms and slippers.
Lol yeah right!
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:00 am
Grjfer wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:28 am
Grjfer wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:35 pm
I don't own one, but I'd like to. Just looking at the differences between the stretch and a stretch 2 I prefer the stretch. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if I can find one sooner or later.
Bento Box Shop still has Stretch 1 in stock. VG 10 as well as HAP 40

(Again: If posting such infos here is not ok, ADMINS please let me know and delete my post)
Thank you for helping me spend my money. VG 10 Stretch is inbound to me.
That´s good news! I am sure you won´t regret it and would appreciate, if you report back how you like the Stretch 1.

I myself have three (two VG 10, one HAP 40) - the VG 10 model is the only knife I ever felt that I needed a backup for... ;) (and it is in my pocket right now)
Well the Stretch arrived today. To be honest I prefer a knife and the size category of the Delica, but wanted something a bit bigger and different blade design. I think the Stretch fills that bill nicely. For a larger knife it feels really good in hand, and scary sharp out of the box. Very smooth action, better than my Centofante.

Speaking of the Centofante, I kind of consider it the gentleman's Stretch.
Attachments
56178524_2294211473974781_2261875965875453952_n.jpg
55944919_2294557777273484_960979016716648448_n.jpg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Nothing compares to a stretch. In the last week I received two older models Both are in VG10.

Honestly Spyderco could have stopped with VG10 and been perfectly alright.

Earlier in the week Streth1 fully Serrated = Awesome.

Today older Stretch before all the FRN madness and G10 stuff.

Partly Serrated VG10 full Stainless Slabs with Kraton liners.

Let’s just say perfection and leave it at that!

Grail Knife! Found!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:54 pm
Nothing compares to a stretch. In the last week I received two older models Both are in VG10.

Grail Knife! Found!
You are very fortunate. I'm still trying to find out what my grail knife is, and here you've found yours. Not only did you find your grail knife, it's also not $400+ like so many on the internet seem to want. You have found a grail knife that is affordable enough to own multiples of. Very fortunate.
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Spyderco hasn't made my grail knife yet, but if I were designing it I'd start with the Stretch 1 as the foundation. Ergonomically, dimensionally, and functionally I haven't found better.

My grail knife would be a Golden-made backlock with much in common with the Stretch. The blade profile would be more reminiscent of the PM2 blade, but all the contact points and the handle/blade length would be a direct carry over from the Stretch. Embeded liners, contoured scales, and standard stamped clip. Since we're talking grail I'll throw in Vanax SuperClean steel! :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Grjfer wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:00 am
Grjfer wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:28 am

Bento Box Shop still has Stretch 1 in stock. VG 10 as well as HAP 40

(Again: If posting such infos here is not ok, ADMINS please let me know and delete my post)
Thank you for helping me spend my money. VG 10 Stretch is inbound to me.
That´s good news! I am sure you won´t regret it and would appreciate, if you report back how you like the Stretch 1.

I myself have three (two VG 10, one HAP 40) - the VG 10 model is the only knife I ever felt that I needed a backup for... ;) (and it is in my pocket right now)
Well the Stretch arrived today. To be honest I prefer a knife and the size category of the Delica, but wanted something a bit bigger and different blade design. I think the Stretch fills that bill nicely. For a larger knife it feels really good in hand, and scary sharp out of the box. Very smooth action, better than my Centofante.

Speaking of the Centofante, I kind of consider it the gentleman's Stretch.
Thanks for reporting back!! And I am glad that so far you seem to like my all time favorite Spyderco (and folder generally) ;) Believe me, the Stretch is a knife that will grow on you even more, the more you put it to use. It´s just so versatile..

On the Centofante compared to the Stretch:
I owned one (Centofante) and absolutely enjoyed it for quite some time. But finally I sold it, while I´d NEVER get rid of my Stretches.
Why? I like the FFG grind a lot more than the hollow high sabre; Both knives have almost exactly the same closed length, but the Stretch 1 more blade and even slightly more edge PLUS a functional choil (while, again, beeing NOT longer in the pocket than the Centofante). The ergos of the Stretch, the more pronounced guard and that "hook" at the rear end of the handle are better for me personally. Finally, the Centofante felt a bit "flimsy" for my liking (though in reality it´s solid enough, and still a very good folder overall in any case, don´t get me wrong).

Enjoy your Stretch!! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 am

Grail Knife! Found!
You are very fortunate. I'm still trying to find out what my grail knife is, and here you've found yours. Not only did you find your grail knife, it's also not $400+ like so many on the internet seem to want. You have found a grail knife that is affordable enough to own multiples of. Very fortunate.
Well said. And I am as much a lucky man as Doeswhatever is, since I am feeling exactly the same concerning the Stretch 1... ;)
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

So I'll share the Stretch love around here. I snagged a V-Toku2 model last week and got to put it through paces on a hike yesterday. Wowzers. I had a feel for the ergonomics from fiddling with it at home and I knew I was sharp from cutting up some cardboard, but using it to cut through brush in the woods made me pause. This knife cut so easily and felt so good in hand, it was otherworldly. It was a little bittersweet because it makes some others in my collection (looking at you PM2) feel unnecessary, redundant. Definitely a sleeper hit and it will be with me lots for the foreseeable future.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Doeswhateveraspidercan

It made me happy to read the nice replies, thank you.

I’ll take some time later and put some pictures of the Stretches up.

As far as cost to find my grail knife uh yeah and no. argh

I started with Chris Reeve $400.00 plus knives until I bought my first Spyderco Paramilitary 2 which outperformed the Sebenza (Spelling) those all got sold.

In short I have spent thousands of dollars and sold and recovered some of it ;)

Still cheaper than hunting or boating which some people invest in.

What really got me into the Stretch was wanting to try out VG-10 Steel but not wanting tiny blades and preferring belly in my blades. Somehow I had tried nearly every steel but VG-10 having listened to far too much hype about so many others and they all without exception left me a bit disappointed.

Looking at you S30V, S35VN, S110V, CTS-204P M390. See a pattern here? All extremely high carbide so called powdered super steels. All will hold a working edge for a long time or should I say a fulley functional dull cutting edge.

My favorite steels are as follows from most to least favored.

VG-10 All around solid performer easy to make extremely hair shaving sharp, holds that extreme sharpness for a long time and only needs minor touch ups excellent corrosion resistance better than S30V.

What does the VG stand for ? VERY GOOD? If so, it sure is. I consider this the perfect all around equally balanced steel for knives.

CTS-XHP this is another solid all around performer exhibiting very similar properties to VG-10 holds a screaming edge longer than VG-10 and is a little more difficult to bring back but not by much. It is ver corrosion resistant.

ZDP189 very sharp steel great cutting characteristics holds a very sharp edge a very long time dulls a little at a time not all at once like the high carbide S30V listed above. Have not had to sharpen yet. Superior edge retention.

LC200N again very similar to VG10 with added bonus of never going to rust no matter what, VG-10 seems to hold a screaming sharp edge better though. This steel is equally easy to bring back to screaming sharp maybe a little easier than VG-10.

M4 awesome steel can get wicked sharp very easily and it holds it for a very long time only downside is corrosion, but it is not as bad as some make it out to be.

Elmax a very nice steel it will however corrode swifter than people think blade can be made very sharp but reverts to functional sharp like some of the ones I first listed.

H1 strange stuff very strange metal, have it in several salts with serrations it is really tough and does seem to get better with use at holding its edge but there is a certain lack of bit to the steel like it is a polished cut instead of a more toothy cut from H1

After this the rest of the steels are of lesser degree of interest.

I have a cruwear Military need to break it out and get some wisdom with that steel.

So all in all VG-10 is really incredible and well rounded, I find it funny there was soooo much hype about S30V being the balanced super steel and Blade HQ Charts are just way off. It is no where near as balanced as VG-10 or as corrosion resistant.

It looks great on paper was developed for knives. Is an excellent steel but VG-10 is better in my opinion in real world use.

The design of the Stretch is just perfect. It is a perfect marriage with VG-10 they both exhibit the same Qualities those being all around balanced.

My Militaries are a close second.

Paramilitary 2 follows.

The rest I have owned thus far fall into specialized camp.

The Hundred pacer for example is awesome but you pop that fang in an office and people get nervous. I use it in the kitchen and love it in that role.

My favorite fixed blade is Lances Waterway my go to fixed blade kitchen cooking knife:)

Native salt is a light weight working in the yard knife I can get wet hot dirty and use it never going to rust no matter how much Sweat gets on it, tried this with a Para3 inS30V rust and pits in the steel, that was the end of S30V with me.

I will buy models that only come in S30V but they have to have a super redeeming quality or else I won’t even look at them.

For example the Ikuchi by Paul Alexander trailing point blade like my Hundred Pacer trailing points are awesome, super low profile and a rounded flipper HELLO to bad S30V is being used CTS-XBO would have been a better choice but still going to buy one.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:09 am
Albatross wrote:

Grail Knife! Found!
Well said. And I am as much a lucky man as Doeswhatever is, since I am feeling exactly the same concerning the Stretch 1... ;)
Wartstein my friend, would you consider the Stretch and the Centofante series knives to be the "Perfect European Everyday Carry Folders for Ladies and Gentlemen"?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:09 am
Albatross wrote:

Grail Knife! Found!
Wartstein my friend, would you consider the Stretch and the Centofante series knives to be the "Perfect European Everyday Carry Folders for Ladies and Gentlemen"?
SEF, tough question... not sure I understand to the full extent what you mean.. ;) But here´s my answer: :)

Till very recently I thought that the Stretch 1 would be the very best EDC knife for everyone and everything, including people new to knives. Now I am not sure if the upcoming Endela could fit that role even better. Not necessarely as MY personal "best knife for everything" but as an recommendation if one quite new to knives should ask me what to get.

Concerning the Centofante: Not my favorite everyday folder! A good and very light model, don´t get me wrong, but as already stated above: The Stretch 1 is even a tiny bit shorter when closed, but offers a lot more than the Centofante (even more blade and a tiny bit more edge), especially blade shape and FFG grind are better imho. Also, as a knife for really everyone (including unexperienced users), the Centofante lacks the "safety" a choil or Ricasso offers.

Since yesterday for the first time I tested my Chap FRN for an extended period of time and in an outdoor - / woodwork - scenario and it did just GREAT even in harder tasks: I think if one knows for sure that a longer blade will never be needed: The Chap would be the perfect everyday carry folder. But than, I personally can´t imagine that if you love knives you never run into tasks that require a longer blade... (food prep on the road and so on).
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Wartstein,

The Endela lacks the deep belly and the handle hook. And the fingochoil. It’s nice but definitely not Stretch 1.
Chris :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anagarika wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:18 am
Wartstein,

The Endela lacks the deep belly and the handle hook. And the fingochoil. It’s nice but definitely not Stretch 1.
You are right, and as stated, for me personally the Stretch 1 will probably remain the best all-around-do-everything- EDC-knife anyway .

But I am a somewhat experienced knife-user and design-features like choils (though I am still not the biggest fan) and sophisticated blade shapes have grown on me over the years.

What I meant in my previous post: If someone quite or totally new to knives would ask me about the best all around EDC to buy as an only or first knife it COULD be (but I am not sure yet) that I´d recommend the Endela as soon as it will be released.

Why? Judging from the existing Endura and Delica: Both have very good ergos imho in a regular, intuitive (not choked up) grip. The hand is placed pretty close to the edge, while the Ricasso still acts as a safety feature when closing the knife (or when accidently closing, which I cant´t really imagine to happen with a Spyderco backlock though). I am not sure if a beginner or "Non-Knife-Nerd" who just wants one functional tool, really needs and appreciates a finger choil or maybe prefers just a solid, regular grip (and, as I stated quite often here, if one is used to knives it then is really absolutely no problem to choke up on that Endura-/Delica Ricasso ).

Endura / Delica furthermore are really affordable while featuring good steel (VG10 is great stuff I think).

Many actually DO recommend the Delica as one of the best beginner -/ first -/ and generally all around EDC knives. I always felt, that the actual edge of the Delica is a little short to be good at really every task, while the Endura is a bit big and "intimidating" on the other hand. The Endela will most likely perfectly fill the gap between those two and be a great recommendation for an all around and beginner knife imho.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:18 am
anagarika wrote:
Wartstein,

You are right, and as stated, for me personally the Stretch 1 will probably remain the best all-around-do-everything- EDC-knife anyway .

But I am a somewhat experienced knife-user and design-features like choils (though I am still not the biggest fan) and sophisticated blade shapes have grown on me over the years.

What I meant in my previous post: If someone quite or totally new to knives would ask me about the best all around EDC to buy as an only or first knife it COULD be (but I am not sure yet) that I´d recommend the Endela as soon as it will be released.

Why? Judging from the existing Endura and Delica: Both have very good ergos imho in a regular, intuitive (not choked up) grip. The hand is placed pretty close to the edge, while the Ricasso still acts as a safety feature when closing the knife (or when accidently closing, which I cant´t really imagine to happen with a Spyderco backlock though). I am not sure if a beginner or "Non-Knife-Nerd" who just wants one functional tool, really needs and appreciates a finger choil or maybe prefers just a solid, regular grip (and, as I stated quite often here, if one is used to knives it then is really absolutely no problem to choke up on that Endura-/Delica Ricasso ).

Endura / Delica furthermore are really affordable while featuring good steel (VG10 is great stuff I think).

Many actually DO recommend the Delica as one of the best beginner -/ first -/ and generally all around EDC knives. I always felt, that the actual edge of the Delica is a little short to be good at really every task, while the Endura is a bit big and "intimidating" on the other hand. The Endela will most likely perfectly fill the gap between those two and be a great recommendation for an all around and beginner knife imho.
Very well said. And very thoughtful explanation.
Thank you.
I can see Endela is very likely the best all around knife,
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anagarika wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
anagarika wrote:

Thank you.
Thank YOU for actually reading that long winded post, written in my somewhat crude English... ;)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'm absolutely loving my new Stretch! I got the V-Toku sprint and couldn't be happier. Great price, great ergos, love the color, and my god is that thing sharp! I think a CF 52100 sprint/exclusive is in order, but I'm a 52100 fanboy so maybe I'm biased lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Wartstein wrote:
anagarika wrote:

Thank you.
Thank YOU for actually reading that long winded post, written in my somewhat crude English... ;)
I think you need to let go the notion about your English. It’s as well written as many of the eloquent posters on this forum (i.e. amongst the top). ;)
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:45 pm
I'm absolutely loving my new Stretch! I got the V-Toku sprint and couldn't be happier. Great price, great ergos, love the color, and my god is that thing sharp! I think a CF 52100 sprint/exclusive is in order, but I'm a 52100 fanboy so maybe I'm biased lol.
Jon, what model in 52100 do you have? Can you share (probably on different thread if this is too OT) the experience, similarities and differences with the V-Toku2? The composition is very close.

I also like 52100 very much but so far all models are detent based asymmetrical handle or fixed blade (mule), so the closest I can get is in this V-Toku2 format (lockback, FRN).
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

anagarika wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:43 pm
Wartstein wrote:
anagarika wrote:

Thank you.
I think you need to let go the notion about your English. It’s as well written as many of the eloquent posters on this forum (i.e. amongst the top). ;)
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:45 pm
Jon, what model in 52100 do you have? Can you share (probably on different thread if this is too OT) the experience, similarities and differences with the V-Toku2? The composition is very close.

I also like 52100 very much but so far all models are detent based asymmetrical handle or fixed blade (mule), so the closest I can get is in this V-Toku2 format (lockback, FRN).
Yes I'd be happy to, I have two PM2's and one Para3 in 52100 and they are THE finest Spydercos in my collection. Their fit and finish is utterly perfect, but I do have to say that my V-Toku Stretch is quite finely made as well. The steel is perfect for my EDC purposes because I don't have to worry about it chipping, and that edge, good lord. 52100 is, as you know, very easy to make razor sharp, although again I should report that the V-Toku is not difficult to sharpen either, and the Stretch may have been the sharpest piece I've received from the factory. Ergonomically, I think the PM2 is best for me, but the Stretch is not far behind. Edge retention is not something that I get too concerned about because I don't mind sharpening regularly, but I think V-Toku's higher carbide content keeps the Stretch sharp a little longer. Corrosion resistance is something I am totally unconcerned about, but 52100 is quite reactive of course. In typing this I've just realized that since 52100 is an American steel there's not really any hope of it making it's way to the Japanese-made knives but oh well... Maybe a solid Shirogami Stretch could happen? A boy can hope lol. Anyway I think you should really give the 52100 PM2 a shot even though it may not tick all of your boxes because in my opinion it's the pinnacle of Spyderco's efforts in terms of design and execution!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara