Native Salt owners?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fkmtb07

Re: Native Salt owners?

Post by fkmtb07 »

I think the stiffness is due to the backspring. Is it made of a different material compared to the normal lightweight Native 5's due to the "salt" configuration? Mine feels much less springy than the other N5 FRNs I've owned.

Mine was super stiff when I first got it and like others, my lockbar/tang interface is super smooth, nothing rubs on the scales, etc. My blade is nearly free swinging when I hold down the lockbar and very little blade play in any direction when the knife is open. It's loosening up very slowly as I carry and use it more, but nowhere close to my original S35VN Native FRN.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:13 pm
Robbob wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:37 pm
The Salt, however, has a pivot that looks to be almost split with a washer in between the halves (on end).
This leads me to believe the problem is with the pivot and not the lockbar.
did you get a picture of this detail? i’m not seeing what you are referring to. if not, no worries. i’m just curious about it.

thanks for this comparison. i’m surprised it would be any different from any other native that already exists and why they would change it. maybe someone from spyderco will chime in.
Hopefully this will help:

The pivot and the stop pin on the Maxamet and S35VN are solid whereas on the Salt they both have a groove. The pivot seems to also have a split washer in the groove.

Another difference in the Salt is the handle and pivot screws. Usually, you would need a T6 for the handle screws and a T8 for the pivot (if memory serves). However, all of the Salt screws take a T8.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks for the detail pic. I wonder why the change here.
- best wishes, Jazz.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I bet if you measure the length of the pivot bushing it'll be very slightly longer on the Salt version. That would account for the side to side play.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:14 pm
Another difference in the Salt is the handle and pivot screws. Usually, you would need a T6 for the handle screws and a T8 for the pivot (if memory serves). However, all of the Salt screws take a T8.
The T8 handle screws are not unique to the Salt. I purchased a S110V lightweight (date code IR) from BHQ last month and it also has T8 screws. It does not have grooved pivots like the Salt.

I tried the Salt blade in the S110V handle and a Cutlery Shoppe orange handle (date code GQ), swapping only the blade and no other components. The side-to-side play followed the Salt blade in both instances.

I took some measurements of my orange Native and the Salt, and they're identical. I took all of the measurements from multiple positions, and everything has tight matching tolerances to within a small fraction of 0.001".

Pivot secondary length: 0.145"
Blade thickness at pivot hole: 0.125"
Pivot OD: 0.250"
Pivot hole ID: 0.250"
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

To add some detail about how mine is behaving. There is a bit of side to side play when knife is in any position but blade locked. Action is smoothe and lockup is solid. It is flickable with middle finger. When I fully depress the lock with knife held horizontally the blade drops freely to half closed, where it then rubs on the FRN and stops. I'm happy with it, although it has had some odd behavior where it has had some inconsistent side to side play when locked. I have cleaned the lock mechanism, but not disassembled. It also makes a funny click when I close it one handed. It does not make that click when I close two handed-- suggesting to me something going on with the pivot and it makes noise when that torsional force is applied. Not too worried about mine. Curious to see how others' experiences are, so following.

I love the knife overall!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Robbob wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:14 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:13 pm
Robbob wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:37 pm
The Salt, however, has a pivot that looks to be almost split with a washer in between the halves (on end).
This leads me to believe the problem is with the pivot and not the lockbar.
did you get a picture of this detail? i’m not seeing what you are referring to. if not, no worries. i’m just curious about it.

thanks for this comparison. i’m surprised it would be any different from any other native that already exists and why they would change it. maybe someone from spyderco will chime in.
Hopefully this will help:

The pivot and the stop pin on the Maxamet and S35VN are solid whereas on the Salt they both have a groove. The pivot seems to also have a split washer in the groove.

thank you. i hope it wasn’t too much trouble. i wonder why the difference. i was wondering about the “jimping” on the underside of the lock bar too. when the knife is assembled, that jimping makes the lock bar look rough and unfinished.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

The difference in smoothness, both in opening and closing, is highly noticeable when comparing the current Native Salt LC200Ns (both PE and SE) to its predecessor, the Native Summer also in LC200N. The action on the Native Summer is smooth and effortless and what I was hoping for on the current versions. Alas, it wasn’t to be.

Wish Spyderco had left things alone. Hopefully, CQI will result in a “backwards” redesign.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

I just got mine a few days ago and it's just like many have said here. When closed, the blade is just a bit off center, but if you push it towards center, it moves and kind of "clicks" (feel no noise) into place dead center. Opening is stiff but smooth. I can't flick it open. Pressing the lock bar with the knife horizontal, so let the blade free drop a few degrees. but I believe its the drag of the lock bar that's making it stop, not hitting the scales.
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I took mine apart again today and degreased the pivot bushing. It turns out what I thought was a washer of some sort was really just grease. I shot it with some silicone lubricant and reassembled. It doesn't quite feel as good as my other Natives but it is much improved. It seems there may have been too much grease or it was set somewhat. In any case, I'm a much more satisfied customer now.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I've had my Native Salt for several months. As others have pointed out this model is a little harder to open. None of My others are this way. My theory is that the friction is caused by lockbar steel against the blade steel. Could be that the steels are so much alike. That's what it feels like to me.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Hi Everyone,

Brand new here, and just purchased and received my brand new Native 5 Salt today. My very first EDC knife. Sad that I have to come here, to report this same issue as my first post. But I can say with 100% certainty, since my knife is fresh out of the box, the problem and the solution (for me at least) is the backspring. It is way too stiff and holds the blade way too tightly, causing undo pressure friction when you open/close it. I disassembled the knife and upon removal of the spring, I checked and the blade can move/swing freely. So I fashioned a temporary replacement backspring made out of very flexible metal to test, and reassembled. Instantaneously the opening and closing movement was free, and perfect. Now, I don't know if there is a solution in my case, outside of bending my backspring. Which I don't want to do and void any warranties. I'm going to write and see if I can get a replacement though and see what happens. Let me know your thoughts, and if there are any other alternatives. Hope this helps as well!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Considering how I sometimes carry my salts, I actually loved the stiffness of the native 5 salt.

My action has also broken in quite well and it will certainly drop close when the lockbar is fully depressed. The spring is fine with me.

It is still tighter than my other native 5s, but im fine with it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Native lockbar is strong when opening it (not being pressed), and the blade will not slide effortlesslly as is the case with Seki backlocks.

When you prress the lockbar to close, blade freely drops down until you release it, when it becomes stiff again.

Not a problem for me, but if you find that this is an issue, please do replace and let us know the results
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I ended up sending the knife back and will await a store credit so I can purchase the knife again (sadly, they don't do straight exchanges). If it's the same, I guess I'll have to work to break it in, although, it will probably take a very long time. No complaints otherwise, but I only got to enjoy the aesthetics of the knife so far. Definitely prefer it over my brother's Pacific Salt 2 (Delica 4). Not too sure about the yellow scales, but I found a guy who can do custom scales for linerless Spydercos, included the Native 5, so I might order a replacement.

I'll let everyone know, once I receive my replacement knife. But sadly, it probably will take 2+ weeks for the process to play out. Thank you everyone for the feedback so far.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Seraph wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:35 pm
I ended up sending the knife back and will await a store credit so I can purchase the knife again (sadly, they don't do straight exchanges). If it's the same, I guess I'll have to work to break it in, although, it will probably take a very long time. No complaints otherwise, but I only got to enjoy the aesthetics of the knife so far. Definitely prefer it over my brother's Pacific Salt 2 (Delica 4). Not too sure about the yellow scales, but I found a guy who can do custom scales for linerless Spydercos, included the Native 5, so I might order a replacement.

I'll let everyone know, once I receive my replacement knife. But sadly, it probably will take 2+ weeks for the process to play out. Thank you everyone for the feedback so far.

You mean "Endura 4" (not Delica) I suppose?

/ If you just want another color: I think dyeing the scales would be the much cheaper and more convenient option over getting custom scales - additionally I really doubt if a custom maker, even a good.one, could produce a whole linerless handle in the same quality and fit as Spyderco does - ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:13 am
Seraph wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:35 pm

You mean "Endura 4" (not Delica) I suppose?

/ If you just want another color: I think dyeing the scales would be the much cheaper and more convenient option over getting custom scales - additionally I really doubt if a custom maker, even a good.one, could produce a whole linerless handle in the same quality and fit as Spyderco does - ?!
That guy in Germany (I think), Luke at Cuscade, does some wonderful linerless knife scales.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Got my replacement Native 5 last week. Definitely an improvement. I should have take pictures and measurements of the old backspring vs. this one to see if there is any visible difference. One major difference was the old one was lubricated with black grease, while this one was clean, with a small amount of liquid lubricant visible. I don't know if that made the difference or if there are different specs from the factory etc. Either way, I'm happy with the replacement and it's breaking in nicely, I now can flick it open with my middle finger 90% of the time, and it will continue to get better. I'm awaiting my customer carbon fiber scales from an etsy seller, from France. And will post pictures when they arrive.
KP

Post by KP »

Really good discussion with a lot of detail.

The earlier versions of Native had the Boye dent on the lockbar. Which is supposedly good feature for safety.
Now the later and current generation lacks it. What swayed the decision away from 'safety'?

Did it have anything to do with patenting and IP?
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Mine was a bit tight but a few drops of blue lube and a bit of working in and its ok now.
Id sorta rather them a bit tight to start off, than with than any sort of play or looseness.
Ive found these lightweight native 5s very solid knives with zero blade play.