Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bagsnatcher
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby bagsnatcher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:14 pm

@sal

By design, or sheer coincidence, it appears the Shaman is a legitimate front flipper.

This is a very good thing:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JYE6ARyJVEqtbbGx5

TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 4377
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 pm

You could do the same thing with many models. It's kind of awkward though.
19 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF

-Rick

bagsnatcher
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby bagsnatcher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:25 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:20 pm
You could do the same thing with many models. It's kind of awkward though.
Not so sure about that.

Here it is against a legit front flipper:


https://photos.app.goo.gl/LZjDUBf8uQiFrCtx6

TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 4377
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 pm

I dunno man, I honestly don't see much of a difference. The thumb hole with various ways to open it seems just fine. A "flipper" is better suited for a flipper tab. But whatever floats your boat. If that's how you want to open it, more power to ya. Just doesn't seem very practical.
19 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF

-Rick

bagsnatcher
Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby bagsnatcher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:35 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 pm
I dunno man, I honestly don't see much of a difference. The thumb hole with various ways to open it seems just fine. A "flipper" is better suited for a flipper tab. But whatever floats your boat. If that's how you want to open it, more power to ya. Just doesn't seem very practical.
Totally not practical, with the hole there. A middle finger flick is way faster.

I'm just excited that it legitimately works as a front flipper too (if you're inclined to open it that way).

User avatar
Liquid Cobra
Member
Posts: 6387
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm
Location: British Columbia, CANADA

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby Liquid Cobra » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:38 pm

It doesn’t work very well as a front flipper. Not saying it can’t be done but it’s painful and not reliable.
Most recently acquired: Paramilitary 2 Tanto, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2024
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby curlyhairedboy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:23 am

if the top thumb ramp was a little longer past the pivot it would work a little better, but it definitely does work.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Waterway, Tanto PM2
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: CQI Kapara, Shaman Sprints!

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9681
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby bearfacedkiller » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:12 am

You can put your boot in the oven but that doesn't make it a biscuit.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21636
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby Evil D » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am

Really seems like a super unnatural motion vs the thumb hole.

I do wonder if the front lip of the choil could be made bigger into a flipper tab, if it would then have good flipping geometry, especially since that part of the choil already comes into the lock area when closed.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21636
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby Evil D » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:12 am
You can put your boot in the oven but that doesn't make it a biscuit.
Literally laughing at this.


But with enough butter...🤔
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

fanglekai
Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby fanglekai » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:48 pm

Thumb in the Spyderhole makes more sense.

User avatar
JacksonKnives
Member
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Formerly Alberta, now Orange County, California
Contact:

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby JacksonKnives » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:05 am

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am
...wonder if the front lip of the choil could be made bigger into a flipper tab...
I've glued dowel pieces to a few compression lock knives, and it works pretty well. With a small enough tap you could make a bolt-on piece.

The funny thing about re-purposing a Spyderco into a flipper or front flipper is that you start to realize how much better the hole is.
The only advantage the front or lip flipper has is the possibility of a narrower blade profile. Since the Shaman or Yojimbo or whatever else you think about modding already has the wide blade for the hole, there's not much to be gained unless you really want to grind down the spine of the blade.

User avatar
dj moonbat
Member
Posts: 1257
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:58 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Re: Spyderco Shaman - Front Flipper?

Postby dj moonbat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:43 am

JacksonKnives wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:05 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am
...wonder if the front lip of the choil could be made bigger into a flipper tab...
I've glued dowel pieces to a few compression lock knives, and it works pretty well. With a small enough tap you could make a bolt-on piece.

The funny thing about re-purposing a Spyderco into a flipper or front flipper is that you start to realize how much better the hole is.
The only advantage the front or lip flipper has is the possibility of a narrower blade profile. Since the Shaman or Yojimbo or whatever else you think about modding already has the wide blade for the hole, there's not much to be gained unless you really want to grind down the spine of the blade.
The thing that makes the hole so good is that your hand can go from opening the knife to the cutting grip all while maintaining a reasonably solid grip on the handle. A flipper tab may get the blade open faster, but it's a separate motion to get your grip around the handle. By the time that motion's done, you haven't really gained any time.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: austrian_spyder_fan, Bing [Bot], blues, eRoc, Evil D, imjohnsmith, prndltech, Spydergirl88 and 36 guests