Which endura?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sjucaveman

Which endura?

Post by Sjucaveman »

I really like the ergos of my blacked out pacific salt. I understand it is like some version of the endura. Which version of endura would you recommend?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
abbazaba

Re: Which endura?

Post by abbazaba »

The handle shape of the Pacific Salt is not the same as the Endura 4, it is based on the previous Endura generation. The ergos are different. You might want to check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=78309
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:01 am
I really like the ergos of my blacked out pacific salt. I understand it is like some version of the endura. Which version of endura would you recommend?
If you love the Pacific Salt ergonomics, then an Endura 3 is the same handle. You’ll be shopping the secondary market for one because Spyderco stopped making these over a decade ago.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I very well might like them endura 4 as well, I don't have anywhere I can handle them nearby.
Adam
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

The Endura 4 also has skeltonized steel liners and may be slightly heavier and stiffer than the comparable Salt. You did not say if your Pacific Salt is plain edge or serrated. I have four Endura 4s, one each Waved, full flat grind, fully serrated, and blacked out combo plain/serrated all in VG-10. The Emerson Waved version is different and should be ruled out from the comparison. If I expect to need to cut fibrous materials I carry the fully serrated blade. The flat ground blade is a tremendous slicer, and would be my choice for cooking or game prep duty. The blacked out combo blade is a good option for general purposes. I find VG-10 to be quite rust resistant, and both the plain and serrated edges are easy to keep sharp with a Sharpmaker. Your steel selection and blade style selection are depended on your use. The Salt scales have more of an Endura 3 profile than and Endura 4 profile. In my hand I can use either happily.
vivi

Post by vivi »

If it were me, I'd buy another Pacific Salt (Planning to this year, actually).

The Endura 4 is a very nice knife, but it's a different knife.

For me, there are three main drawbacks comparing the two knives.

The first is the handle shape on the Endura 4 does not work well for me. The ergonomics are different. If I grip with my first two fingers in the first finger groove, my hand is cramped. If I grip with just my index finger in the first groove, my hand sits too far back.

The Pacific Salt on the other hand feels right every time, with my index finger in the first groove.

Second, no variation of the Endura is rust proof (Though the DLC versions come close).

Lastly, it's also a little over half an ounce heavier.

Now, if weight and corrosion resistance don't matter much to you, and you find the handle comfortable, the Endura does offer a lot of benefits.

The handle texture is very nice, quite grippy. There is also jimping on the handle behind the thumb ramp, which a lot of folks like.

There are tons of steels to choose from. They might not be rust proof, but you have a lot of options like VG10, S30V, VTOKU2, HAP40, etc.

There are also factory waved models, and versions with G10 scales, stainless steel scales or wooden scales.

The E4 is a knife I've given many chances, a knife I wanted to like, but in the end the handle shape change makes it not work for me. Hopefully that isn't the case for you.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As Vivi pointed out above, the ergos on the Pacific Salt are different to those on the Endura, and you state thats it´s specifically the P.S. ergos you like. So going just by this I can´t say if the Endura (-handle) is for you
For me personally, the ergos of the Endura are very good, and my hand is L to XL in size.

If I should recommend which model, I´d say: FFG and HAP 40 if you want to spend a bit more (and can find one of the HAP 40 sprints) , or VG 10 if you go "budget". I have both and 100% always will... )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Endura is still an awesome knife. I recommend FFG blue or black. Actually, orange would be nice too.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Wharncliffe anyone?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Marulaghost wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:53 pm
Wharncliffe anyone?
I'd imagine it will be in the next reveal. Should be out soon.
:unicorn
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I thought they already released it

Edit: endura wharncliffe was released late February to some dealers. Checked the delivery thread
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i came here to say pacific salt. hahaha
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have pretty much every version ever released of the Endura except the Ti/Damascus and the latest wharnie and I'm pretty happy with the regular version. I like the choice of steels but I still carry the VG 10 version as much as any. I have given thought about getting the PE Wharncliff as it looks pretty nice. Too many bills this month though.

Any version from the beginning to the newest is a good knife. Whichever one seems right to you will do whatever you need within reason.

Joe
Markana

Post by Markana »

Get the zip 189 version.Dont forget they come in colors.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

The Byrd Cara Cara 2 is the closest to Pac Salt handle with FFG profile.
Chris :spyder:
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I like the looks and design of the Spyderco Endura 4 with the Glock Armorer's Tool that was offered by Lone Wolf Distributors.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

No glock anything for me.
Adam
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Now with the upcoming models (see the recent "Amsterdam"-thread) you could also think about going a bit bigger (Police FRN) or a b it smaller (Endela) and still have an in some aspects endura-ish knife ... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Lots of accurate replies here. And great info. I have endura 4s in ZDP-189 and HAP40/SUS410. I carry one in my pocket and one in my boot every day. Love them both and use the stuffin' outta both. I think an endura in your blade choice would serve you beautifully. I have really big hands though, so your opinion may vary! Best of luck!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Adam