FRN UKPK with Cuscadi scales UPDATED with RIT Dye mod

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gibs0n

FRN UKPK with Cuscadi scales UPDATED with RIT Dye mod

Post by gibs0n »

COMPLETED! (Thanks for the tips, everyone!)

Original post: Understanding the caveat that modding a factory Spyderco is an “at your own risk” endeavor, I’ve encountered a problem I think I’ve seen covered here but can’t find the answer:

I’ve successfully installed the custom G10 scales for my formerly FRN UKPK. But the clip screw just spins and spins. I had it partially threaded prior to full assembly. I don’t think the threads are stripped as I can feel the non-torx side spinning as I try to tighten the torx screw.

Any thoughts? Or am I doomed to a wiggly clip?

Thanks!
Last edited by gibs0n on Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
wrdwrght

Re: FRN UKPK with Cuscadi scales clip screw help

Post by wrdwrght »

I take it you can’t separate the screw from its backing? Can you push the screw head so the backing pops out of the FRN?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 pm
I take it you can’t separate the screw from its backing? Can you push the screw head so the backing pops out of the FRN?
It’s more trying to get the new scales secured. I can’t get the torx side to tighten against the cap side in the new scale, because the hole in the custom scale doesn’t have the “D” shape.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

gibs0n wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:35 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 pm
It’s more trying to get the new scales secured. I can’t get the torx side to tighten against the cap side in the new scale, because the hole in the custom scale doesn’t have the “D” shape.
Before going further, have you watched Nick Shabazz’ video on reassembling an Urban. I think his principles apply to the UKPK.

gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

The fine folks at Cuscadi recommended heating the screws and loosening whatever loctite was in there. Success!
foofie

Re: FRN UKPK with Cuscadi scales (Mod complete!)

Post by foofie »

love my cuscadi UKPK scales. Remember to use the washers - makes the blade smoother and reduces play.I think they recommend double washers on each side.
Interesting thing too - did you ask for a solid backspacer? I have a carbon disk that acts like a spacer between the scales at the clip.
gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

foofie wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:35 pm
love my cuscadi UKPK scales. Remember to use the washers - makes the blade smoother and reduces play.I think they recommend double washers on each side.
Interesting thing too - did you ask for a solid backspacer? I have a carbon disk that acts like a spacer between the scales at the clip.
Yep, I used double washers they provided on both sides. Super smooth. I did ask for a backspacer, it’s a GID one. In natural light it looks almost identical to the scales but of course it glows when it’s dark. The iPhone camera is more color sensitive than my eyes, so the spacer always look very different in pics than it does “in real life”.

Another thing that doesn’t photograph well: the scales are smooth and rounded at the edges. The knife melts into your hand. If it was a hard use tool I would prefer grippy g10, but it’s perfect for my UKPK.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

gibs0n wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:15 pm
The fine folks at Cuscadi recommended heating the screws and loosening whatever loctite was in there. Success!
Excellent. Cuscadi rocks.

gibs0n

Post by gibs0n »

I decided natural g10 wasn’t quite to my liking, so I got some green RIT dye. I followed the instructions on the bladhehq video. It took 10 minutes to get the color pictured. I may go another round and darken it a bit more but for now, I'm very happy with it!

TkoK83Spy

Re: FRN UKPK with Cuscadi scales UPDATED with RIT Dye mod

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Very unique color!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Liquid Cobra

Re: FRN UKPK with Cuscadi scales UPDATED with RIT Dye mod

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thank you for sharing, looks great! The more G10 ukpk’s In the wild the better.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra