rusty steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Re: rusty steels

Post by ferider »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:12 am
Next time I'm down there, I'll take maxamet and rex45 in.
What the heck, might as well take 1095 and 52100 in too. :)

I'm very much enjoying your experiments, JPM :)

Would love to see the liners, locks and Pivots, for any of your tries, if that's possible ....
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ferider wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:07 am
That swimming Manix is an extreme case. I am interested how it looked when disassembled: did the liners corrode?
i realize it’s an extreme case, but it’s also s30v, which is more rust resistant than the steels i’m referring to in this thread. i was shocked by both how much rust it had and how well it cleaned up.

it might be hard to see in the photos, but there was some corrosion on the liners. most of it wiped off with oil and a cloth and the rest came clean with some barkeepers friend. the last picture of the blade looks like there might be a little damage left, but it’s just some excess frog lube that hadn’t been wiped clean yet. except for the small jimping on the ramp and finger choil, the knife looked pretty much brand new when i was done with it. i found it's almost impossible to get that jimping completely clean.

i should add that these pictures are after i had already attempted to clean up rust from the blade and any surface that was accessible while the knife was assembled, so it was worse than what you see here. sorry, but i didn’t take any pictures of that. when my friend showed me his knife, my heart sank a little. and, for the record, quite a bit of time had passed between the time he had it in the ocean and i got to clean it. it would’ve been much better if it was dealt with quickly after the swim. i was glad to be able to clean it up for him. s30v really surprised me that day.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Tims

Post by Tims »

The knives I have in rust prone steels were purchased more out of romantic ideal than any practical reason.

For my uses, I can’t think of a single practical reason to choose a rust prone steel over something stainless. Especially here in 2019 with the overwhelming number of steel choices we are blessed(burdened?) with.

This is especially true for pocket knives. I think the only reason I would buy anything non stainless again would be for a big fixed blade where cost would be a factor. Or maybe a traditional where a modern steel just didn’t feel right.(again with the romance)
ferider

Post by ferider »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:39 am
i was glad to be able to clean it up for him. s30v really surprised me that day.
Thanks for the pics, and good job, obviously. I never had S30V rust on me, but I've had an old hollow grind with corroded/pitted liners and spacer, but clean blade.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

“Rusty” is pretty subjective. :)

S90V isn’t a “rusty” steel, but brain spike a fish, slosh it in the surf to clean it, put it back in it’s sheath and leave it there on a hot day for a few hours and it’ll start to rust. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

ferider wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:32 am
jpm2 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:12 am
Next time I'm down there, I'll take maxamet and rex45 in.
What the heck, might as well take 1095 and 52100 in too. :)
I'm very much enjoying your experiments, JPM :)

Would love to see the liners, locks and Pivots, for any of your tries, if that's possible ....
Sorry no pictures of the teardowns, I usually don't think to document till after the fact. Those above are rare for me. Hopefully I'll mind that better in the future.
Teardown was a week later and best I recall the pivots were trivial, probably because they got breakfree shortly after. The liners might have had a little bit of rust that wiped off.
I try not let corrosion sit untreated too long. If it's going be a few days before teardown, I treat it with a true CLP until then. I don't find mineral oil suitable for this. Beware there are a lot of concoctions these days masquerading as CLP.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:56 pm

S90V isn’t a “rusty” steel, but brain spike a fish, slosh it in the surf to clean it, put it back in it’s sheath and leave it there on a hot day for a few hours and it’ll start to rust. ;)
I reckon theres a pretty clear consensus on what we would consider rust proof, stainless, semi stainless and non stainless under average conditions.
Speaking of s90v, it’s been great for me rust wise as a kayak/fishing knife. I give it a quick blast under the tap when I get home and it’s never had a spot on it.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Our climate can be wet at times, dry at times. I have no problem with general carry of M4 steel and like its combination of edgeholding and toughness. Granted I did carry one one day when I was working in the yard and sweating a lot, and it did quickly develop some surface rust. The rust cleaned off easily. I carry several other knives with M4 steel to my office, cut fruit with them, whatever, and haven't had a problem with rust.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ferider wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:06 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:39 am
i was glad to be able to clean it up for him. s30v really surprised me that day.
Thanks for the pics, and good job, obviously. I never had S30V rust on me, but I've had an old hollow grind with corroded/pitted liners and spacer, but clean blade.
thanks. this is the only thing i don’t like about the manix 2 lw. it’s the perfect knife, but i’ll never be able to clean it like i did with my friend’s manix xl because it’s pinned. i’d hate to have rust like this forming out of my reach. i wish spyderco would fix this and finally perfect the lw.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:20 pm
Bloke wrote:

I reckon theres a pretty clear consensus on what we would consider rust proof, stainless, semi stainless and non stainless under average conditions.
Speaking of s90v, it’s been great for me rust wise as a kayak/fishing knife. I give it a quick blast under the tap when I get home and it’s never had a spot on it.
Maybe subjective is not the right word. We do use and maintain our knives the way we do and we live in different climates. The only thing for certain is we all do things differently.

As per my first post I believe it gets down to horses for courses. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:11 pm
Tims wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:20 pm
Bloke wrote:

Maybe subjective is not the right word. We do use and maintain our knives the way we do and we live in different climates. The only thing for certain is we all do things differently.

As per my first post I believe it gets down to horses for courses. :)
It’s hot and humid where I am in Oz. All I ask of an edc steel is that it survives a day in my pocket without spotting, much. I’m not sure why but sweat tends to condense and pool into a line on the blade of anything I carry. Same place every time.

Off topic, do you take gif requests mate? Would love it if you could post the one of the bloke carrying and fumbling with all the cleaning gear to his car.