The Delica will never die.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: The Delica will never die.

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 pm
I don't see why the grip can't extend further forward around the kick so you at least get more grip space. This also moves the edge closer to your index finger which gives you the benefits of a choil without sacrificing edge length.
Maybe now I get it: You mean, that the blade shape/the kick stays exactly the same, but the (FRN-) scales cover the kick/Ricasso when the knife is opened ? So you essentially have a longer actual handle while still having the same edge lenght? That on the one hand would be a good idea I never even thought of; but on the other hand it would make for a longer closed length, wouldn´t it?

And such a design sure would allow for a choil AND a full four finger grip BEHIND the choil even on the Delica, but, as said, the price would be a longer closed knife in the pocket.

Or do I still get you wrong?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:18 pm
Evil D wrote:
I don't see why the grip can't extend further forward around the kick so you at least get more grip space. This also moves the edge closer to your index finger which gives you the benefits of a choil without sacrificing edge length.
Maybe now I get it: You mean, that the blade shape/the kick stays exactly the same, but the (FRN-) scales cover the kick/Ricasso when the knife is opened ? So you essentially have a longer actual handle while still having the same edge lenght? That on the one hand would be a good idea I never even thought of; but on the other hand it would make for a longer closed length, wouldn´t it?

And such a design sure would allow for a choil AND a full four finger grip BEHIND the choil even on the Delica, but, as said, the price would be a longer closed knife in the pocket.

Yep that's the idea. The longer closed length is only a half in or so, which I would accept if it meant a better grip in use. The Delica handle is long enough more or less but the finger grooves don't fit my fingers. I just don't see how a knife like the Centofante can get the grip so close to the edge but other back locks can't. I figured the shape of the handle must be the answer since both knives have a blade kick.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:18 pm
Evil D wrote:

Yep that's the idea. The longer closed length is only a half in or so, which I would accept if it meant a better grip in use. The Delica handle is long enough more or less but the finger grooves don't fit my fingers. I just don't see how a knife like the Centofante can get the grip so close to the edge but other back locks can't. I figured the shape of the handle must be the answer since both knives have a blade kick.
I sold my Centofante some time ago (did not like the hollow grind, in FFG I´d kept it most likely), and I can´t exactly remember how it´s constructed. But I think, if at all, it has just a tiny kick?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:07 pm

I sold my Centofante some time ago (did not like the hollow grind, in FFG I´d kept it most likely), and I can´t exactly remember how it´s constructed. But I think, if at all, it has just a tiny kick?!
I don't have a Delica to compare it to but from memory the Delica's kick may be a bit longer. Most of the kick on the Centofante 4 is covered by the handle.

(excuse the pocket lint)

That's a much more efficient use of space if you ask me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:07 pm

I don't have a Delica to compare it to but from memory the Delica's kick may be a bit longer. Most of the kick on the Centofante 4 is covered by the handle.

(excuse the pocket lint)

That's a much more efficient use of space if you ask me.
Thanks a lot for the pics, did not remember that the Centofante had such a long area of "blade" or better steel inside the handle!

And yes, you are totally right: That IS a more efficient use of space indeed! Unless ones absolute priority happens to be minimal closed length of course.
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've given the Delica many tries, and the handle isn't for me. I see why its liked, but other models serve me better.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Since I just played and carved and cut a bit with my Delica in a choked up grip (which I use a lot on this knife) I´d like to add:

I am still with David / Evil D that it would be a good idea to extend the scales over / around the kick/Ricasso and make for a more comfortable grip that way

But that said: It is really not too uncomfortable to choke up on the Ricasso as it is, and also not dangerous for the fingers imho: Even when cutting harder, I more or less do not press my indexfinger upwards against the Ricasso, but more backwards against the front side of the guard/handle scales. Also the index finger never really touches the actual edge - again, even when really bearing down on the knife

And: Even choking up on the actual EDGE of a knife is not a problem: When I do that, I press my thumb to the side of the blade, so that the thumb partly extends further down than the edge. Than I press my index finger more against the thumb, so that it almost does not touch the egde...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:18 pm
I've given the Delica many tries, and the handle isn't for me. I see why its liked, but other models serve me better.
Imho while the handle is ok for quite large hands (like mine), it is not for REALLY large hands... ;)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The Delica 4 handle is perfectly shaped for my hand. The wonderful ergonomics let me ignore things like the wasted edge space of the ricasso. When it's comfortable to use and causes no hotspots details like that don't matter to me.

I'm not a fan of choils. If a knife has one and the ergonomics are good I'm ok with it, ex: my Caly 3. If the handle is just as comfortable not using the choil I won't, ex: my Manix LW

My current EDC lately has been the Rhino. I like the smaller knife for carry at my job. Somewhere down the road the "newness" will wear and I'll be carrying my Delica again.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Funny, I haven’t had a regular Delica in my pocket in a while, but today I threw my FFG ZDP 189 in there. I missed it.

Also, the ricasso is big enough to act as a choil, and is fine how it is. I use my wharnie every day at work, sometimes hard, and it just works. The ricasso flips onto your finger perfectly for one hand closing. I do that a lot.

Now, Sal and Eric, can we PLEASE have a ZDP wharnie Delica? I’ll even test it for you. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Cone10down

Post by Cone10down »

As long as I take my coffee black and eat lunch meat sandwiches at work, I will probably have a Delica in my arsenal. Great entry level platform/EDC/user and great example of what you get for making the leap from a $10 beater knife. Viva La Delica!
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

The honest truth is, why would it die?
It's a design that's only been tweaked ever so slightly here and there over a long lifespan
Even if there is a fair amount of competition even within the company (chaparral, native, brouwer, etc...) there's no reason to cease production. Does it not sell well enough, cause it doesn't seem to be the case to me.
I'd say the biggest point for its success isn't just the price, fit and finish, comfort, performance, and reliability.
It's the variety within the model.
There are so many different kinds of delicas it's insane.
If we look at the golden models for instance (though i see this changing soon) we see that you can get a pm2 with different scales, steels, and edge grinds (PE,SE, CE)
But that's pretty much it.
The delica family on the other hand offers all of this and a good bit more. You could for instance decide you wanted a blade shape like a wharncliffe or something with an emerson wave. Maybe you wanted one with g10 or pakkawood. How about one that can handle salt water? Doesn't matter. You're covered
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I think the Centofante doesn’t have the kick stopping the closed position like the Delica family. It’s possible to squeeze the blade in closed position and the edge may touch the backspacer. Probably that’s how more edge can be put instead of ricasso :confused: .
Chris :spyder: