The Delica will never die.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

The Delica will never die.

Post by Baron Mind »

I've seen a lot of talk about this knife or that being a Delicakiller. I'm here to stick up for our dear old Delica.

First it's worth noting how iconic something has to be for it to be discussed in this fashion.

Second, even if a knife comes out that is similar to another knife, and at a similar price point, and even if it IS widely agreed to be a better knife, it doesn't make the other knife obsolete. Maybe if we lived in a world where everyone only bought one knife of a particular size and purpose that would be true, but that is not the case. Most of us who know what a Spyderco Delica is, also own a Native, a Sage, and a Para 3, all knives designed with a similar intent.

Lastly, the Delica has been a great knife, is a great knife, and always will be a great knife. I am enjoying my ZDP-189 Delica immensely, and if in the future the Delica is sprinted in a steel I want to try, I would not hesitate to purchase the steel on a Delica and neither should you.

Thanks.
Sharp Guy

Re: The Delica will never die.

Post by Sharp Guy »

I enjoy my Delicas in with VG10, HAP40, and V-Toku. Looking forward to trying one with Super Gold.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I very much like the Delica. It is one of the best knives ever made. It actually fits my hand like other knives only hope to do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I definitely like the Delica over literally any other Spyderco knife in it's size category. So for example a lot more than the Native 5 (sold mine) and Para 3 (admittedly never owned one, but that's cause I already know that the PM2 concept does not work for me scaled down).

The big plusses for me:
- very ergonomic handle even for large hands, WITHOUT having to use a choil (which is mandatory with the Native for me)
- hand close to the edge in a regular grip
- I still can choke up on that Ricasso if I want to
- Thin bladestock, still robust tip due to its shape (imho more than 2.5 mm bladestock in a knife that small brings no benefit)
- and I am just a backlock-guy

Furthermore the sabre grind / comboedge version is the best and very robust multi-pitch-rock-climbing-folder I ever had.

I may repeat one of my "knife-dreams" here: A maximum edge length Delica: Lengthen the blade so that it goes right to the end of the handle when the knife is closed. And maybe even get rid of that Ricasso for some more edge.

Closest-to-the-Delica-knife I like as much or even more: Chap FRN. But that's one category smaller imo.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just like vanilla ice cream will never die, but man there are way more exciting flavors to choose from regardless of how good vanilla is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:58 am
Just like vanilla ice cream will never die, but man there are way more exciting flavors to choose from regardless of how good vanilla is.
On your post, just for me: YES, when I look at ALL Spydercos available.. but if I only consider those offering about 65 mm actual edge, not so much... but thats's mainly cause particullaty in the Native / Delica size range I don't like choils and I do like thin stock (a Native im 2.5 mm and without a choil, but more Delica-shaped handle could beat the Delica probably)

I am courious: Which Spydies in this category do you prefer ?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm a big fan of the Delica 4/FRN/PE/VG10. It is my favorite folder for carrying all day every day. The spyder hole, pocket clip, and back lock design has won me over making traditional folders, thumb studs, flippers and other lock mechanisms less attractive. It just starts from there and then keeps getting it right in so many ways!!! I think this is one of those few products (designs) that has achieved "classic" status.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

“The sun also rises, and the sun goes down…”
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:25 am
Evil D wrote:
On your post, just for me: YES, when I look at ALL Spydercos available.. but if I only consider those offering about 65 mm actual edge, not so much... but thats's mainly cause particullaty in the Native / Delica size range I don't like choils and I do like thin stock (a Native im 2.5 mm and without a choil, but more Delica-shaped handle could beat the Delica probably)

My opinion on the choil/no choil thing, at least regarding the Delica, is that the kick area is wasted edge space anyway, so it may as well be shaped into a choil so it's usable space. This is a thing with many back locks that I don't care for. I'd rather have a design like the Stretch that turns that space into usable space rather than a flat area if unground blade. And yeah I know some guys use it as a choil anyway but that just supports my view on making it a legit choil.

As for knives in this size that I like more, I really tend to carry larger or smaller knives so they don't match exactly, but I'd take a Centofante 3 over a Delica any day, or a Sliverax or Manix 2 though they have a bit more edge.
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

It’ll last longer than me anyway. I have at least 3 lifetimes worth of delicas!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

My opinion on the choil/no choil thing, at least regarding the Delica, is that the kick area is wasted edge space anyway, so it may as well be shaped into a choil so it's usable space. This is a thing with many back locks that I don't care for. I'd rather have a design like the Stretch that turns that space into usable space rather than a flat area if unground blade. And yeah I know some guys use it as a choil anyway but that just supports my view on making it a legit choil.

As for knives in this size that I like more, I really tend to carry larger or smaller knives so they don't match exactly, but I'd take a Centofante 3 over a Delica any day, or a Sliverax or Manix 2 though they have a bit more edge.
I agree. I have never understood the need for such a large ricasso. The edge could be extended or an actual choil put into that space. I have never liked the tip configuration either. For the size and use (my uses) I prefer the Chaparral, Para 3 and One-Eyed Jack.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Firstly, Vanilla is the greatest ice cream flavor ever created :p

Secondly, I too think a full edged delica would be an awesome knife. I carry the Mantra a lot, which is basically that dream, but as a framelock flipper.
Some day, maybe.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Delica’s base model (and Endura’s, too) is effectively Spyderco’s machine for legally printing the money it needs. If the Delica disappears, I imagine Spyderco will have, also.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I always wanted to see a full edge delica as well. Eliminate the Ricasso like what is done in the centofante 3

I think adding a finger choil is a mistake in the delica lineup..it’s one of the few spyderco knives that doesn’t have a choil. I prefer all my fingers on the handle but close to the blade
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For me, I debated a Delica for quite a while. I got the Chap LW, as it was dubbed the "Delica killer" by various Youtube personalities and had a lot of praise here on the forum. Compared to the standard Delica, it MAY be?? I can't elaborate on that, as I've never had one...but, I did buy the KC Pakkawood Delica. Once I got that knife, I got it. I understood the love and cult following of the Delica. Though a higher end model, I caught the jist of it based on the ergos, size, blade stock.

I flip flop between these 2 knives often, both are carried frequently. I would be sad to ever see the Delica go...I just don't see it happening. Everyone needs to try one at some point or another, to really understand what it's about. Glad I took the plunge on one!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:

MichaelScott wrote:
I agree. I have never understood the need for such a large ricasso. The edge could be extended or an actual choil put into that space. I have never liked the tip configuration either. For the size and use (my uses) I prefer the Chaparral, Para 3 and One-Eyed Jack.
Thanks to both of you for the replies!

In a way, you, David, made exactly my point: I also tend to carry "larger or smaller knives" than the Delica, UNLESS, well, it´s the Delica... ;)

Reason precisely is, that just for my handsize the kick / Ricasso is not so much "wasted space" in that it is still better than a choil in a handle of that size (best thing for me here would be both no kick and no choil)

Why?:
A 50/50 choil almost by definition sacrifices not only egde, but also handle (as in handle length behind the choil). That means: If you´d turn the "kick" of the Delica into a choil, you´d also have to modify the handle, so that the "guard" on it`s front side would be located further back. The result would be, at least for my hand size, that the knife would no longer offer a full, comfortable four finger grip in a "regular" (=behind-the-choil-)grip.

That´s exactly what I did not like in my Native and what makes me carry either even smaller knife, like the Chap, or bigger ones, like the Stretch:

- The handle of the Chaparral, again, for my handsize, would be too short for a full finger grip anyway, no matter how it was shaped. So the knife for me is meant to be used choked up in the first place, exactly like the DF; The great thing here is: I can carry a very short closed package, but due to the choil, still have a full four finger grip, which would not be possible only on a handle of this size

- The Stretch, or any larger knife, on the other hand offers me a full four finger grip on the handle behind the choil, so in a regular grip. The choil is a second option, but I am not forced to use it to get a good grip

- The Delica offers me (just) one, but very good grip on the actual handle, which is just long enough to make that poosible. Would not be the case, if it had a choil. (Though I have to say again: Choking up on the Delica-Ricasso is really no big deal (on my minigrip I most times even choked up on the actual edge and did never hurt myself) - in a way it gives me the best of both worlds: In a regular grip I am quite close to the edge, but still can choke up on the "kick")
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Evil D wrote:
the kick area is wasted edge space anyway, so it may as well be shaped into a choil so it's usable space.

The issue people have with that idea is that Spyderco probably will shift the entire grip backwards to make room for a large choil instead of only rounding the area currently available. For example, see the Byrd Meadowlark. The finger guard is further back, which now makes it nearly impossible for a good 4 finger grip on the plastic handle and the choil is basically mandatory. That is what we desperately want to avoid. If the choil gets rounded, do not change the current regular grip. At all.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:05 pm
Evil D wrote:
the kick area is wasted edge space anyway, so it may as well be shaped into a choil so it's usable space.

The issue people have with that idea is that Spyderco probably will shift the entire grip backwards to make room for a large choil instead of only rounding the area currently available. For example, see the Byrd Meadowlark. The finger guard is further back, which now makes it nearly impossible for a good 4 finger grip on the plastic handle and the choil is basically mandatory. That is what we desperately want to avoid. If the choil gets rounded, do not change the current regular grip. At all.
Exactly what I tried to say in my post just above yours, but you managed to do it 1.) better and 2.) ,with less than half of the words I needed... ;)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I've carried a delica in my pocket for a decade or so and have never thought once it needed tweeking of any sorts. I'm down to a dozen now having let anything non-FRN, combo edge, and coated blade go recently. I would enjoy trying one with factory micarta handles but suspect it would be no better knife than the FRN version while costing bunches more. If they produced it in a tanto style blade, I'd probably purchase those too.

Regarding never, well "Never say never"! Won't be long and we will have a laser beam that emits from our dominant eye and pocketknifes will be in the scrap pile alongside the typewriter and other such techno wonders of their day.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't see why the grip can't extend further forward around the kick so you at least get more grip space. This also moves the edge closer to your index finger which gives you the benefits of a choil without sacrificing edge length.
~David