Spyderco Pacific Salt: Underappreciated but not by me.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Pacific Salt: Underappreciated but not by me.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I think the Spyderco Pacific Salt is an excellent design and I for one appreciate it and believe it is a very useful cutting tool. The shape, materials, point, serrations and everything about it are great.
crazywednesday

Re: Spyderco Pacific Salt: Underappreciated but not by me.

Post by crazywednesday »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 pm
I think the Spyderco Pacific Salt is an excellent design and I for one appreciate it and believe it is a very useful cutting tool. The shape, materials, point, serrations and everything about it are great.
Completely agree. The SE version was a sleeper for me. I look forward to the FFG PE LC200N. Its big, light weight, easy to sharpen, comfortable in hand and corrosion resistant. I hope they stay with the Endura 3 handle shape for the LC200N version.
Justin
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don’t know where you’re getting underappreciated from. in my time here, i’d say the pacific salt is probably the most consistently praised knife in the spyderco lineup.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

"Underappreciated!?"
Where have you been?
People have been raving about these knives for years.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

El
Oh
El
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Mine is in my pocket right now. It is often necessary/appropriate for me to carry a smaller knife, so I don't always carry it, but I love it. It is definitely one of my favorite knives, and one of the last models I will ever not own.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

From what Sal said, they’re going to offer the current model in LC200N first, and then a 2 version (presumably with Endura 4 scales?) later. I'm looking forward to a PE FFG 2.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

I've really enjoyed both of the Pac Salts I have. One PE and ond SE. Like most folk here on the forum's, the serrated version hands down the better of the two. Utilizing the corners of the rods of the Sharpmaker, like many others, I've been able to keep the serrations extremly sharp with a very easy to use system. I like to look at the SE Pacific Salt as one blade with 20 cutting areas along length of blade. The way these serrations work is that the material being cut catches in one of the scallops of the serration pattern and stays there until becomes dull then advances to next scallop and so on. That's one of the factors that leads to the edge retention of this knife. Hopefully the H1 Pacific Salt SE version remains even after new LC200N variants arrive. Thanks for another awesome knife Spyderco.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I own 6 Pac Salts and they keep coming... just in case. All serrated. A SE Pac Salt would probably be the folder I would bring in a trip around the world and trust it with my life. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I don’t think it’s underappreciated. It’s my favorite Spyderco and one that I have gifted to friends and family at least 4 or 5 times. I have one that is reground by Brad Southard that is awesome.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

mine was with me in the pacific all morning. i carry the se version for snorkeling and free diving in case i get wrapped up in something or have to rescue someone or something else. it makes a great running knife as well. it’s in my waistband unless i go somewhere that doesn’t allow a knife it’s size. i have three spydercos i would replace immediately if lost and the pacific salt is at the top of that list. it’s not my absolute favorite spyderco, but it is my most indispensable spyderco.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I'm glad that many of you own, use, and appreciate the Pacific Salt. Its a superb knife. Let me clarify that: I would like to see more people in the world who are not serious knife afficianados appreciate the Pacific Salt after having used it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:57 pm
I'm glad that many of you own, use, and appreciate the Pacific Salt. Its a superb knife. Let me clarify that: I would like to see more people in the world who are not serious knife afficianados appreciate the Pacific Salt after having used it.
It's a hard sale, $90 for a "plastic" knife made in Japan.

I had a whole big response typed out mentioning another brand that's commonly available at Walmart for a fraction of the price but you can figure that out yourself. Suffice to say the average uninformed knife buyer is gonna be hesitant to buy "a plastic Japanese knife" when they can get one from a more common brand that's made in the USA for $20 or so that doesn't have a plastic handle. Maybe in a few generations when our kids and grandkids have grown up with and are familiar with the Spyderco brand more this might change.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
npad69

Post by npad69 »

so far my most used and beat-up folder
James Y

Post by James Y »

At this point, the only Walmart Spydercos would be made in China offerings. I can't ever imagine a Pacific Salt on sale at Walmart. And not because it's Japanese-made, but because the price, even at Walmart, would still be above the typical Walmart demographic. After all, Walmart sells a LOT of China-made knives, otherwise they wouldn't always have so many in stock. I would take a Japanese Spyderco 10 times out of 10 over that. And I'm not sure how many people who buy knives at Walmart actually check or care where they're made.

The Pac Salt is definitely not underrated. But I seriously doubt it will ever become a 'mainstream' knife like the Buck 110, for example. Aside from knife aficionados, most people just don't care about pocketknives.

Jim