One-Eyed Jack, He’s Back!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

One-Eyed Jack, He’s Back!

Post by MichaelScott »

As some of you know, I had to sell off my knives recently, difficult but necessary. Lately I have been able to acquire a few new Spydercos. I checked SFO to see if they still have one of my all-time favorites, the One-Eyed Jack. Gone. Discontinued.

But… to my surprise and joy, BladeHQ still had a few in stock. One is now heading my way.

I am so glad to have one back in my possession soon. I know it wasn’t a popular knife, but it turned out to be one of my favorite users. And, one that I will be glad to pass on to one of my kids when I’m gone.

I’ve made it a good day!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Re: One-Eyed Jack, He’s Back!

Post by Bloke »

Happy to hear Michael.

I remember your little review from when you got your first one a while back and how happy you were with it. :) :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jdw

Post by jdw »

Congrats! It's a great knife and I really regret selling mine.
It is rock solid and incredibly well made. I had one in the cart when BHQ hit me with $18 and change sales tax. Where did that come from? Now it put back on the fence about grabbing another...?.? :confused:
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:24 pm
Happy to hear Michael.

I remember your little review from when you got your first one a while back and how happy you were with it. :) :cool:
Me too. Glad to see everything has come full circle with the Chap LW and this knife. You were a major advocate for both!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

👍
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

jdw wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:32 pm
Congrats! It's a great knife and I really regret selling mine.
It is rock solid and incredibly well made. I had one in the cart when BHQ hit me with $18 and change sales tax. Where did that come from? Now it put back on the fence about grabbing another...?.? :confused:
That’s a jolt when you aren’t expecting it. But, the One-Eyed Jacks are disappearing from retailers and selling for inflated (in my opinion) prices on eBay. If you really want one I suggest going ahead. The $18 won’t mean that much later.

In my opinion having had and used one for about a year I think the One-Eyed Jack is a sleeper. The design Mr Barr put into this knife is so subtly good that you have to use one to understand it. Unfortunately, many were put off by the two card suites associated with one eyed jacks on the scales. That and the decorative file work aside the One-Eyed Jack is one of the best mid-size user folders out there.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thank you very much for the heads up. After getting over having my sales tax sensibilities tested, my good sense Spydie sensibilities took over and I grabbed one while I could. It's a neat knife and I am glad to own one again. I never used my previous one the way that you used yours but I am excited to give it a go. Thanks again!!!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

jdw wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:47 pm
Thank you very much for the heads up. After getting over having my sales tax sensibilities tested, my good sense Spydie sensibilities took over and I grabbed one while I could. It's a neat knife and I am glad to own one again. I never used my previous one the way that you used yours but I am excited to give it a go. Thanks again!!!

Nice grab - looks like you snagged the last one (and saved my wallet). I think I would love this little guy but can't pony up the cash right now, would love to find one in "user" condition on the secondary. Discontinued models are funny with their values fluctuating all over the place (see the difference between what happened with say the T-mag and the Bowie :cool: ) but I figure if it was meant to be it'll work it's way into my collection some day.
~andrew
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Good for you Michael! Glad you managed to get one before they're all gone. It's not my type of knife but I know you think highly of it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

jdw wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:47 pm
You are very welcome! Yes, use it as you would any EDC knife. As beautiful as it is, I believe Mr Barr designed it to be used. And I do.

Long ago I settled on the idea of my “final three” Spydercos. I believe in a few months they will be the Para 3, One-Eyed Jack, and the Gail Bradley 2. I’m still narrowing it down and so far the GB2 has all the characteristics I am looking for in a larger knife.

Team Innovation
npad69

Post by npad69 »

I'm just wondering, what made you sell the first one?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

npad69 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:12 pm
I'm just wondering, what made you sell the first one?
Basically, cancer. I sold all of my knives except my ancient SAK and Buck 112 which I carried to Alaska and back over fifty years ago. Needed extra cash. Now, things are a bit better, selling off stuff preparatory to moving. So, I am aiming to assemble my “final three” which won’t get sold.

Team Innovation
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Oh, sorry to hear about that. I'm glad you're getting better. Hope you recover 100% and be able to buy a thousand more Spydies!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

npad69 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:29 pm
Oh, sorry to hear about that. I'm glad you're getting better. Hope you recover 100% and be able to buy a thousand more Spydies!
👍🏼😁

Team Innovation