Laminated CF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

Re: Laminated CF

Post by JacksonKnives »

ferider wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:06 am

Very interesting, JacksonKnives - I never thought about the long term yield of manufacturing knife scales - but it makes sense.

As a knifemaker, ignoring the price, what do you think of the usability of peel-ply vs. smooth CF scales ?

For example, my smooth - almost slippery marbled CF Manix (gorgeous knife) needs its clip, so I feel safe when closing it blind and one-handed. My peel-ply Manix doesn't, fingers sit securely sans clip, it's not as pretty but a little more usable.

Roland.
It really depends on intended use. Hardwood is still my favorite, but I love seeing what the new generation of masters is doing with CNC machining toolpaths to bring interesting textures out of composites and titanium. (The Shirogorov "silk" texture is probably my all-time favorite.)

I sand some G10 smooth, leave some with the texture; I think the standard G-10 texture is a good compromise.

My favorite Spyderco CF is the matte-finish stuff used on the Caly3/3.5 ZDP series. Feels good against my fingers, more like stone than anything.