Suggestion: everyone should design a knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Suggestion: everyone should design a knife

Post by zhyla »

tvenuto wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:31 am
Actually...don’t. Your real-world feedback is valuable to Spyderco
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 am
Tamping down frivolous suggestions—the point of this thread, I believe—does not rule out experiential feedback, which, we agree, is gold to Spyderco.
I agree with both here, and in my opinion the feedback/suggestions would be a lot more valuable coming from a person who has had their point of view grounded by the reality of designing a knife.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:56 pm
I agree, zhyla.
No, you don't. The point of this thread is to do something rather than just talk about things. Agreement is to design a knife. Everything else is just stalling.

I will say one thing that is a slight issue here. Most of us if we came up with a design would like to share it here, get feedback, etc. Most of us if we came up with a design would also like Spyderco to produce that design. And I think at least a few forum members have become Spyderco collaborators. But my understanding is you need to not show your design to the world for Spyderco to consider it. Kind of unfortunate, I don't know what else to say about that. Maybe if there were a special subforum where potential collaborators might post their designs that would get around this. Would be really cool actually.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Crux wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:39 pm
Every design I try ends up looking like a Para 3.
Lol, I was just thinking that every design I'd come up with would probably look like a PM2
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Just to wet some people's appetite, this is the kind of stuff you can screw around with if you learn a CAD tool like Fusion 360:

Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I made this as part of an industrial design project about 20 years ago. I knew absolutely nothing about knives, and the only object examples I had laying around were a Case Shark Tooth and a Western 526 Mighty Light. I had always hated nail nicks, so without knowing anything about the existence of Spydie holes or thumb studs, I independently 'invented' one-handed thumb opening.

I modeled it in an old program called Bryce, which was intended for modeling landscapes. The handle is made from bump-mapped terrain objects and everything else is constructed from raw geometric primitives.

Looking at it now, I see lots of little problems....no jimping, no clip, no space to allow for bushings, old style back lock, etc.

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

You did that in Bryce 3D? That's impressive. I thought that was only for making pretty mountains.

That's really a pretty sane design for a first try at knife design.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 pm

Well, I really like that. Color and all. Put a clip on it and hook me up in FRN, please. Beautiful clean design.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm
zhyla wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:32 pm
I've been working on a design myself for a while
Oh boy! I have to scroll that thing off the screen so I can stop laughing and type rigt.

All my designs end up looking like Mules.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I got busy and came up with this:
hknife.jpg
Crux

Post by Crux »

I have been in charge of designing the most amazing knives for years as I outsource it all to Spyderco. Sin Win.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i have made a few designs. my issue is i am not interested in making them, i would like to give the designs to spyderco and have them make all 6 and i will just purchase them. i know the thread is about making it yourself but does anyone know of a place i can send my design and someone can make it.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
RLR

Post by RLR »

I designed a thick, dual pointed, push and pull cut monster. Sent the plan to a local knife maker (Craig Wheatley) and he delivered. The Reiði:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:52 am
I got busy and came up with this:

hknife.jpg
You could do worse. An ulu in the hands of an Inuk is something to see. :eek:
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:30 pm
I will say one thing that is a slight issue here. Most of us if we came up with a design would like to share it here, get feedback, etc. Most of us if we came up with a design would also like Spyderco to produce that design. And I think at least a few forum members have become Spyderco collaborators. But my understanding is you need to not show your design to the world for Spyderco to consider it. Kind of unfortunate, I don't know what else to say about that. Maybe if there were a special subforum where potential collaborators might post their designs that would get around this. Would be really cool actually.

I've actually withheld sharing any of my designs for this reason. I have a lot of designs already done and at least a handful of them I would consider worth modeling/making.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:12 am
i have made a few designs. my issue is i am not interested in making them, i would like to give the designs to spyderco and have them make all 6 and i will just purchase them. i know the thread is about making it yourself but does anyone know of a place i can send my design and someone can make it.
Lots of knife makers do commissioned work, but not many knife makers make folders from what I can tell. In any case it will not be cheap. We're used to being able to get a very well made knife for $100+, and $100 won't get you very far in a custom folder.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

A custom folder? Later for that. I'm certainly not going to even think about making a folder. Lots of tooling and machine shop work involved.

And the whole idea of knife making -- it would most certainly be a great hobby. However I have looked at it, and see a whole 'nuther rabbit hole I could dive down, and I ain't gonna do it! Just making a blade -- thinking about getting the heat treat done, never mind trying to get set up to do it youself. Not for me. Hats off to those who do this stuff.

Of course designing a knife and making a knife are two different things, though it is hard to think you could do a good job designing without some experience making.