Meerkat V-TOKU

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sildani

Meerkat V-TOKU

Post by Sildani »

Been waiting for this to be my next acquisition. Do we have any idea when it’s arriving?
rabbitanarchy14

Re: Meerkat V-TOKU

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i am also interested.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Can't be a pretty as the burnt orange Hap 40!
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Bump! Because I’d really like to know.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

You Are not alone m8. :)
Not for the vtoku but the design as i don't Have a meerkat.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

The Meerkat is an incredible piece. The build quality, ergonomics, and overall solidness easily rivals the Caly 3 in a slightly smaller package. It has a deep carry clip that is nearly invisible and you will find it in your pockets quite often just due to this fact. The phantom lock is the coolest thing ever. Vtoku is very similar to super blue and I'd imagine this one will be a big hit for fans of the super blue Caly 3.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
rabbitanarchy14

i am excited if i am able to get both, first vtoku and first meerkat. love the idea of the lock and its a great size.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
rabbitanarchy14

sorry double post
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

It's not the most efficient knife - the SpyFox is a lot smaller yet has 1/2 inch more cutting edge.
But it's a heck of a lot more comfortable in the hand and of course the phantom lock makes it something special. It's really a fun knife.
I'll probably get a V-Toku Meerkat but that grey-blue FRN (which I have on a Stretch and an Endura) isn't quite as lovely as burnt orange - to my myopic eye at least.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Bump! For an answer. Pretty please?
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Thunderpants wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:20 am
It's not the most efficient knife - the SpyFox is a lot smaller yet has 1/2 inch more cutting edge.
But it's a heck of a lot more comfortable in the hand and of course the phantom lock makes it something special. It's really a fun knife.
I'll probably get a V-Toku Meerkat but that grey-blue FRN (which I have on a Stretch and an Endura) isn't quite as lovely as burnt orange - to my myopic eye at least.
If you are just measuring the metric of blade to handle ratio then you might can call it inefficient. But the handle, for its size, gives you unmatched confidence, it just fills your hand and fills it so well, all the grooves and indents and concaves have purpose – the short blade also gives you a ton of control and leverage, and is just beefy enough to allow you to to use it on nearly any demanding task but also thin enough to be an incredible slicer. I cannot put more power in any other knife I own with the level of precision and confidence I can with the Meerkat. For me personally, I wouldnt want the blade to be any longer as the extra leverage could limit it from some tasks where I'd fear the blade getting damaged. The size is perfect for keeping it pretty thin while immune to such situations where something like a Chaparral, Delica, or Dragonfly would not be able to carelessly tear in and power through. The tool steel probably helps too.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Yes I didn't express myself very well there. Of course I was talking overall size to blade length ratio, which is just one of many factors.
In the hand it is a lot more pleasant than the SpyFox, which is so narrow and tiny it's hard to hold, let alone control. The Meerkat is one of my absolute favourites because of its unusual but entirely pleasant qualities.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

I still wanna know!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sildani wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:20 am
I still wanna know!
We all do, it's on the reveal page which means it will most probably be out before the end of Q2 2019
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Yes, I had thought that meant it’d be out by the end of Q1. Didn’t that preview with the Meerkat in there come
out in January?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I don't remember to be honest. I am pretty pragmatic. It will get launched when it's ready :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just because you pack a bunch of blade length into a handle, sure doesn’t make it good, in my opinion. Not a fan of the Caly 3.5 for this reason. I don’t use my Mantra much. Same reason, though it could just be the edge is right to the handle. Not a fan of that either. I might fashion a choil on it. I keep putting my finger where one feels like it should be.... anyway, the Meerkat really does have nice ergos. Cool little knife. Makes me wish for a Navigator sprint.
- best wishes, Jazz.