Paramilitary 2, a delicate knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: Paramilitary 2, a delicate knife?

Post by MichaelScott »

These kinds of “debates” are not only nonsensical, proposing vague and undefined categories and parameters, but are a thinly disguised form of trollery.

“Delicate” — what, exactly defines delicate? And, delicate relative to what?

Same thing pops up endlessly: tougher, sharper, easier, harder, best, worst… the list goes on.

If you really intend a meaningful discussion rather than a pile on of opinions, state and define your terms. I.e., “delicate” means this (rigorous and clear definitions follow), so is the X delicate in those terms?

Otherwise, as is obvious, anything goes.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:11 pm
If it's not a fixed blade, it's simply not a hard use knife.
This guy gets it.

Also, if it's not a 500 dollar slab of steel & titanium it's not a "hard use" folder.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm
The vast majority of people get by fine without any knife at all and would call us all crazy.
very true. i get it all the time from people that can’t fathom the need for carrying around a knife. at one of my old jobs, everyone treated me like the weird knife guy. then, a woman was attacked one night and defended herself with a knife she was carrying. the next day, everyone was asking me for advice on knives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Ok, but what do you mean by obvious? What is obvious to you may ......
Crux

Post by Crux »

Oh yeah, the PM2 is very delicate which is why Spyderco came up with their finest answer to what is true and good, but yet holds the future for all mankind without pushing the oppressed down nor giving rise to those whose power has already corrupted them.

Spyderco did what no knife maker could ever do. They refused to listen to the naysayers, to the crowds, to the negative press. Even the experts on YouTube declared it was fake news, couldn't be done in our lifetime but yet Spyderco refused to give up.

A worldwide search was started to find the top 5 knife scientists in the world which was brutal and was reported to have resulted in at least three civil wars and at least one country banning carbon fiber.

With all this negative press and heat coming down from hostile countries all around the world it was nothing short of a miracle that Spyderco came out with the universally loved and sacred Para 3.
Attachments
o5xah0.gif
o5xah0.gif (12.91 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Crux

Post by Crux »

God Save The Three!
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

I have, and carry, one of the early PM2 Lefty’s they made. I bought it because it has a delicate point and a full flat grind. Having a brain, I understand that a knife with a sharp tip and super sharp edge can be damaged. But, it is a wonderfully useful cutting tool. It is used every day and remains in pristine condition. The PM2 is the very best pocket knife I have ever had.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:25 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Ok, but what do you mean by obvious? What is obvious to you may ......
Obviously, if there are no logical constraints on the subject of a discussion or claim, then any statements are as valid as any others.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
atr

Post by atr »

AS far as the Paramiltary 2 being delicate , if your like me if doing some rough use work Your not gonna grab the
$150 and above knife your gonna grab your buck 110 or another $50 knife ...
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear atr:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

atr wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:53 pm
AS far as the Paramiltary 2 being delicate , if your like me if doing some rough use work Your not gonna grab the
I've never quite grasped the logic of that. If I pay premium prices for premium materials, I'm going to use that knife for everything. S90V Carbon fiber Military for a drywall knife? Yep, that's me. But I do know the difference between a knife, a crowbar, a screwdriver and a cold chisel. I generally can't grab a cheap knife for the dirty work because I'd have to stop what I'm doing and drive home to get one.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

atr wrote: AS far as the Paramiltary 2 being delicate , if your like me if doing some rough use work Your not gonna grab the
Pretty sure any of my shamans would work just fine. I would also bet a buck 110 blade would snap before the shamans does.
But really a $10 mora would work best.

Ive also never had a problem with my pm2s.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

If I wasn’t going to use a Knife because it cost $150 I wouldn’t buy it in the first place. What is the point of having it if you aren’t going to use it. The PM 2 has a fine tip but I have never broken one and find it nice for certain uses.

Anything I thought was too rough of use for the PM I would pick a fixed blade and not any other folding knife. I had to smile when I read the first post of this thread and the comment that inspired it suggesting get a ZT if it is for actual use. It made me smile for 4 reasons.

First, I used to really like ZT and have a bunch of ZT knives. However I found that as actual users for the type of thing I do with a folding pocket knife many (honestly probably all) of the spyderco models I started buying were better cutting tools. I routinely carry a PM2 over any of the ZT folders I own these days. I also routinely carry a PM3, PM3 LW and a Pac Salt over them.

Reason 2 is that I’ve had more issues with a couple of ZT folders as users than any spyderco I own. When ZT became all about “flipper action” (the most over rated quality by folks who carry them as fidget toys and pocket jewelry versus a cutting tool) and decided everything had to be on bearings they veered away in a major way from “hard use folders.” I have had two different models on multiple occasions become nearly unopenable. Neither was subjected to any kind of serious dirt and grime either. When you pull out your $220-250 flipper knife and it won’t open you don’t look very cool and it is not very practical for actual use.

Reason 3: The direction ZT had gone as a company and I’m their product releases in the last few years. Right about the time I was real into them and excited to see what they’d release they went in a different direction and really haven’t released anything that has interested me since. They have released a number of models that I would characterize as pocket jewelry and way way way more so than a production PM2.

Fourth, the idea of an over built hard use folder is just kind of silly. When I realized my $50 Izula (or 10 dollar mora for that matter) was always going to be a better choice and tool and could take much more than say my ZT 301 a light bulb went on. The right tool for the right job and for most cutting tasks a slice knife is it for a pocket knife. My “hard use” folder these days is the Pac salt do to it being so easy to maintain. I could definately go for a LW salt version of the PM 2 or 3 for a great real world user knife.
atr

Post by atr »

Thanks for the Welcome Mike :)
atr

Post by atr »

The bottom line is we all want to buy the latest Super Steel that will 70% of the time be slicing open the Am@zon
package we get in the mail .
Any self respecting "Knife guy" has a multitude of knives , and rotates the carry on occasion ...Now if you own one knife and
use until it breaks then buy another i respect that ,,,, sure isn't me